Gel-coat Maintenance 101

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Bourget2

Reaction score
So 'ya like that shine, do you?

1. How do I keep it "glossy"? WAX, WAX, WAX. Keep it out of the sun. Use sunblock with a 50 UV protectant...ok just kidding there. Seriously, keep your boat covered when not in use. Fading, oxidation, and chauking are happening right now. Your hard-earned dollars will want to keep your boat shining for the next buyer. I've seen too many boats come in that look like they were used as "tools" instead of an asset to be proud of. Want top dollar? Keep it CARED FOR. ANY good automotive wax will be fine, just DO IT. I like carnuba based products. On this note, wax your motor while you're at it, just stay off the decals, top to bottom.

2. "What if I didn't care for it and it's faded. How do I restore the finish?". Depending on the extent of the fade, most of the time it can be buffed and waxed. In extreme instances, wet-sanding might be necessary. Start with a 600 wet-dry paper and some water in a spray bottle. Start in an inconspicous location, wet the surface, and have at it with the 600. You'll see some opaque, cloudy water being produced. Do it a little at a time, wipe it off, hit it slightly with a 1000 grit, get a little paste rubbing compound and hand rub it in. If you see the gloss come back, stop here and wax it. Take off as little as possible to achieve the goal. If you "feel" roughness or see on a poly-flake surface a "metallic" showing through, STOP. You're getting through the clear gel and into the actual flake.

3. Chips / dings / scrapes. On a solid color gel, if the "scratch" is WHITE, it typically means it is NOT through the gel, and can be wet-sanded and buffed out. If you see raw 'glass beneath, time to re-gel, and you'd be best served to leave this to the experts.

4. "Can I leave my boat in the Lake for extended periods?" Sure you can...BUT.....you NEED to apply a barrier coat to prevent water absorbsion through the gel-coat. That's right....gel is POROUS and will soak up water. You will recognize "osmosis blistering" as pimples in the gel. Sometimes one, two, or a thousand. DO NOT let this happen to you! It is very expensive to repair. This is NOT a warrantable condition. This applies to new boats, old boats, fat boats, skinny boats, boats that....wait a minute, that's Oscar Myer stuff...

5. "How do I care for my aluminum?" Sorry, can't answer that in this post. Later...:D

EDIT: Just got done watching "DEMOLITION MAN" and there was a part when they were singing old commercials and this ARMOUR song was one of them! LMAO. Thought it was Oscar Meyer.... Sorry!! :wacko::blink:

Anything longer than 2 weeks and you risk Osmosis.....not likely, but under certain conditions it has been known to occur. :blink:

Bob,

Good to know as the Z7 spends 2 weeks at a clip in the clear cool Canadian waters

Yes...can you take it out of the water to let it "dry" overnight at the end of one week? That will help tremendously. As far as products....Interlux makes a barrier coat protection called "Interprotect" and is available in white or gray. Other than this "bottomcoating", dry is best......perhaps a good coat of wax will help. ;)

Bass Boat Saver will keep it new looking and protected. Carnuba, UV protectant and works on the seats as well. It will be on my new boat.

TOXIC

Tox,

when you get that new boat dont just use bass boat saver on it. A guy in my cluc learned the hard way that its not the "end all be all" to gel coat protection. He used nothing but BBS on his skeeter the first two years he had it and the top cap hazed out big time in only two seasons, he had to have it wet sanded and buffed out to make it look good again. He is not the first guy i know that has had this issue using nothing but BBS.

Persoanlly i use BBS all the time, i buy it by the gallon i just make sure i give the boat a good coat of wax monthly and i use bbs in between ans keep it covered when its in the yard. Bob B can tell you that my method works, he knew my 882 pretty well.

Bottom line is BBS is great for post fishing cleanup and to keep the boat spot free but its not a substitue for wax.

Latest posts

Back