Gastank Venting Problem

• Thread starter Christopher Edwards
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christopher Edwards

Reaction score
I've got a 1995 Pro Team 175 I bought new. Ever since I've had it I have problems putting gas in it. The fuel wants to gurgle back up the intake. I've tried putting the gas in REAL SLOWLY with no avail. I've had to the dealer twice amd they seemed stumped and unable to help. Does anyone have a solution to this big problem. Thanks

I would check that the vent hose is not kinked or blocked. I'm not sure how yours is configured, but that's where I would start. My vent works, but I still have to turn the gas nozzle partially sideways and pump it half speed. Eight years is a long time to put up with a problem. Anyways, welcome to the site. Maybe someone with your model can help you out.

Bob G.

12v -

Unfortunately, what you are describing is a problem with every boat that I know of..... Both boats I've owned and every person I've ever spoken to has the same problem.

Bob G's answer is the only solution I've ever come across..... Turn the handle sideways and pump slowly..... Very slowly.

me!

If I hold the pump at 12 oclock,it will take it full speed.

Any other position it takes a day and a half to fill the tank.

Same here with my pt185. The only way mine will take gas full speed is to turn the nozzle 180 degrees like you were standing on the rear deck.

Thats the best boat builders can do to be enviornmently friendly, the gas stations have to add recovery systems, cars dont spew gas WHY do our boats!!! then go put them in the water!!!! dont make sence to me.

my 882 is the same way, i have to do what Bob G. does and then i can get about half speed out of it. if my boat is empty it takes forever to fill that 40 gallon tank. my old champion was the same.

Yeah 12v, I have a PT185 and I can fill the 21 gal. tank on my Jeep in the time it takes me to squeeze off 6 or 7 in the boat. I get the best results by pulling it out slightly and going slow, but watch out for splash backs.

Curious about the handle. What is a 12 Volt Man?

Welcome to the best little website in the www.

Harpo (.00743nanofarads)

soonerfan,

i think of a 12v man as an electronics technician. i agree with charlie on this one. we spend a whole bunch of money on boats and its hard to put gas in them. kind of funny isn't it?

jd

Folks....it is in the vent hose....IF you have gas in the vent hose it will not allow air to escape when refilling. Gas can get in the vent hose in alot of different ways. IDEALLY the vent hose should drain any excess gas back to the tank, one little droop in the hose and it will hold gas and not allow air to escape.

IF you have a kink in the hose and it will not allow air to escape, it is very dangerous.

The newer "Perk" style gas caps have a vent built in them, I see more problems with that than the old seperate styles of gas tank vents. Heck I used to have to blow compressed air through one of the old ones to get any gas in!

Hope this helps....BTW this happens on almost all boats and even can occur on a boat after a few years that never had the problem. Usually because the vent hose has started to sag over time.

Mini

My 12 year old Nitro 180 is the same way.

Mini is correct. It's gas in the vent hose that is blocking the air flow to the vent.

I've tried several things to solve the problem(Shorter hose, longer hose, rerouting the hose, screening)The only thing that helped was shortening the hose to take the dip out of it however, that allowed the gas to slosh out of the tank and through the vent. I had to go back to a longer hose to stop that.The longer hose put me right back where I started.

I finally realized that I could loosen the gas cap, remove the vent cover(mine unscrews) and blow through the vent and the problem was solved.

I don't know if it will work on other models but, it works for me.

Frank

On my old FS180, I had to blow into the vent to clear it before I could fill the tank. Other than some curious looks, I had no problems with filling it then.

RoyC

Latest posts

Back