Gas Prices

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Sullivan

Reaction score
It's getting insane!!! Cost me $50 to fill my truck today. $2.34 for high octane. 87 was still over $2.00. What are the gas prices around your neck of the woods?

87 octane - $1.87 (Northern Delaware) usually 5 to 10 cheaper downstate.

Haven't seen regular over 2 bucks yet. Mostly around $1.97 to $1.99. I've never had a $40 fillup for my 21 gal. tank but I had to stop it on $39.99 today. Sure makes me think twice about my wanting a new Ford pickup.

Harpo

Its about I have seen anywhere from 1.89 to 2.09 for regular out here near Boston Mass. The onyl problem is its only going to get worse form what my friend who owns a gas station tells me. At one point last week he was actually selling for a loss on his discount day because they gave him 5 price increases in one day and raising his price at the pump would have looked bad for him. Its making me think pretty hard about getting into a new 6 cyl toyota or nissan, they have similar power to my 4.7 dodge but far better milage. I love my dodge truck but the gas milage bites.

Try it here in Southern California --- 87 octane-2.39, 92 octane-2.59. Let's see --- 24 gallons in the boat, 26 in the tow vehicle -- WOW $100.00+ for a one day fishing trip.

What a difference 25 miles makes.

Regular in Arlington, VA----2.15.

Yep, gas in Jax has gone up as well, paying about 2.00 for 87 oct. Looking at the fuel economy on different trucks there is not that much of a difference between full size and mid/compact trucks. Looked on edmunds, was curious couple folks were talking about dodge and fords... The Nissans, Toyota's dont get that much better economy than the full size fords, Chevy, dodge. I think maybe even towing since these trucks are built for towing may even get better milage when pulling boat than smaller imports, engine does not need to work as hard..just my thoughts...

Fuel prices in northern Delaware is currently:

Regular 87 octane $1.98/gal

Diesel is insane at $2.25/gal.

Why do you guys worry in Namibia we pay $2.55/gal (but's it 95 unleaded) now my boats got a 40gal fuel tank and the Land Cruiser a 37gal tank. I pay an arm and a leg to fill them up.

I can say my 04 Sierra with the 5.3 gets great gas mileage...just as good if not better than the 03' 4.3 Sonoma I had:)

$1.95 for 87 octane near my house, $1.98/1.99 downtown. The pumps love to see me pull-up with the 25gal gas tank on my truck.

Gasahole about $1.97 a gallon. Across the river about a dime more. SW Iowa

fatrap

Guys, I was paying over $3.00 a gallon in England during the 70's while I was stationed in the Air Force. We received a monthly allotment on the base. If you need more gas you would go off base and pay the going rate. I hate to see what they are paying now.

Barry

2.09 for 89 in Nashtucky

England is well over $5.00.

Brian i dont know what your ford gets but i know the 4wd ford are epa rated at like 14-18 or so an the topyota tacoma 4wd its 17-21. Its a big enough difference to put over $400 a year in my pocket in fuel savings in just my around town driving. My dodge averages 12 around town so its even a bigger savings for me. Also both the toyota and nissan with thier new v6 motors have more hp and the same torque as the 4.7l i have in my dakota. I dont think pulling will be an issue with either one. mor me if i can do better around town it would be a good thing, i do a lot of driving not pulling the boat. A second car is out of the question because i have no place to park it. Also the fact that i can get a nissan for a song thru work is also making me think about the frontier or maybe even a titan, it also does much better on gas then my dodge does.

Tee mine is. its got brand new plugs, 8 new coils( no wires on this motor) and i also decarboned it. The milage went from 12.3 to 12.5.

No wires? That saved ya' about $50:)

New coils? Not much of a jump was it?

They were 25 bucke a peice. I had one that was failing(intermitant misfire on that cyl even with new plugs) so i just did all 8. The motor in my truck is coil on plug, very easy to change the plugs and no wires to go bad.

Getting close to $2.00 a gallon here in North Georgia. But it is still no where NEAR as bad as overseas OR as bad as it was in in the late 70's and very early 80s. So take heart!!

Gotta love running that 40 Merc!!!

Diesel in Louisiana is 2.15 ...87 oct is 1.95 Try filling up an F-350 38 gallons od diesel and a 929 Nitro 57 gallons!

Jim,

Put a boat on the back of that Toyota and watch that MPG go way down, that V6 is the Tacoma is gonna work allot harder than a 5.4 V8 and burn more gas. I looked into this before purchasing my 2004 F150, spoke to several folks in the bussiness.. MPG data is based on optimum conditions, and not with bass boat in tow, no A/C, downhill with a 25 mph wind at your back. The opinion was that a smaller engine pulling same weight will work harder than larger V8.

But if you dont tow that much,, then go for the more economic tow vehical.

Here in the Carolina's, it's around $2.00 a gallon for 93. Maybe a little more than that. Had an away trip to the lake last weekend (and again this weekend). About 30 gal's of 89 octance for the tow vehicle, and 1 tank (24-25 gal's) for the boat. This weekend - same trip, but three days of boat gas.

I Figure I'll spend $125-150 for gas over the weekend. Non-boater fee is $25.00 a day.

Tex

SE Wisc, hit 2.22 last week when the news guys were screaming about gas going to 2.20. Paid 2.14 this morning.

Remember, it was all about the oil.

I think it's just pressure put on Congress to start drillin' in Alaska. Face it guys....if it don't happen...we ARE hurtin'!

Brian i dont know if i believe that to be totally true that the milage will drop below a v8 with the boat in tow. My v8 truck gets in the neighborhood of 11 towing my 882 on the freeway with the ac off. Last summer we pulled my 882 with my buddies s10 4x4 with a 4.3 to save gas and averaged 17 towing the same boat over the same roads. His truck had zero issues pulling that boat( Mountians btw not flat ground)70+ mph when we felt like it and it got superior milage doing it. Everybody i know that tows a boat with a v8 truck( all 4x4 btw) get in the same range as i do now. The mountians really kill the milage.

Keep in mind the toyota and nissan arent underpowered v6's by any means both are 4.0l with ~260hp and 290ft/lb for torque. The torque is right up there with what my 4.7l v8 makes and they have 30+ more horsepower.

I agree if you took something like an f150 with a v6 that is underpowered for the vehicle in the first place and towed a load with it that the v8 might do better in milage but thats not the case here. Both these engines outpower the one i currently have in vehicles with similar weight and size. The extra milage will be a big plus for me. I drive around 30k a year half of it towing. Honestly if i could average 3mpg better them im getting now towing and unloaded id be a happy guy. I dont think thats unrealistic. With the miles i drive that would equal some good cash in my pocket to spend on more lures :)

I got better gas mileage towing with my 4.0L V6 Explorer than I do with my 5.6L V8 Nissan. The percentage change in MPG while towing was greter for the V6 than the V8 but it still did not fall to the V8's levels.

I could not comment on the newer V6's capabilities for towing...I saw a huge difference in my case but that was an older V6 not nearly as powerful as these newer ones.

Tee - I agree in drilling in Alaska, show those OPEC cronnies we're SERIOUS 'bout it.

But we also have to realize unlike the liberal media who are touting to to-be released AAA numbers that our gas prices "may hit an all time high" that those numbers are NOT inflation adjusted.

"In March of 1981, gasoline cost $3.08 a gallon, adjusted for inflation." From www.boortz.com

Well, I know my truck is tuned up since it only has 400 miles on it. My question is....has anyone put a conversion in the grab bag from going with motors to installing oars on our boats? Might be a good idea if the gas prices keep up, or maybe install a BIG electric trolling motor on our boats. What's the biggest trolling motor they make anyway?

Barb

My F150 SCAB is a 4x2 with 5.4 V8 3 valve per cylinder with 3.73 LS. Prob get a little better MPG than a 4x4. I get pretty good MPG on my truck towing, I think one of reasons is the routes to most of the ramps I use is not stop & go driving. Overall I am realy pleased with the MPG I get out of a full size truck. I had several Ford rangers in the past and also 2 F150 in addition to my 2004. One F150 had the 4.6 V8, got real bad MPG towing, my V6 in my 2002 got pretty good MPG towing, the Ford rangers had the 4.0 Liter V6's and both got piss poor MPG towing.

Barb,

I can tell you this, the 150 OPTI on my new boat gets much better MPG than my 115 ELPTO, the OPTI is awesome on fuel economy and uses less oil too..

I am so-o-o-o old.....

Gas wars.

$0.249 per gallon in my 4-cylinder, 948 cc Mini Cooper!

I wonder what BJ will be saying about the price of atomic fuel when he's in his 50's..... :)

me!, you always bring back the memories of St. Louis for me. 1971, 16 years old, gas wars on Airport Road most of the time. 19.9 cents wasn't unusual. Hutch

Back