Gas Pains

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
Ha! Got your attention....I have a question about octane. Does it really make a difference when you use higher octane? For the boat (2 stroke 115hp), they told me to use 89. For my SUV, they told me to use Premium (93). I don't mind the boat so much but I have always used 87 in my SUVs. Do I really need to use 93 every time I go to the pump? Can I use it like once every third tank or something like that? Can I use 87? Help me!! Thanks!!

Use the 93 if it is printed in the manual. You will probably get spark knock so bad (esp when towing) that you may detonate a piston.

ALWAYS do what the manufacturer recommends.

Mini

If you look at your manual, it should probably say. Don't take the word of the sales staff. It is very likely that either 87 or 89 is recommended.

No, I wouldn't use 87 twice and 93 on the third time. Use one, and stick with it. I use 89 on everything (car, suv and boat).

Tex

Ok..... Let's get to practical advice.....

First, as suggested, check your owners manual for your SUV. If it says you can use 87 or 89 octane, then START there and don't go lower.

Next, does your engine "ping" under acceleration/load? It will sound like someone is rapidly tapping your engine block with a metal tablespoon when you accelerate. It will be especially noticable when towing up a hill or accelerating. The "pinging" is the result of the fuel being consummed too rapidly add is caused by the banging of rods to crankshaft and to pistons and valves to head, etc - even though the tolerances are very close.

If you get pinging, move up to the next octane level. For example, my Jeep Cherokee calls for 87 octane - but I have to run 89.

In your boat..... Run what the Owners Manual tells you and DO NOT go to a higher octane.

Your motor is a 2-stroke. 2-strokes run on entirely different principles than 4-strokes like in your car..... Without getting into specifics, using a higher octane than recommended may very well DECREASE power and fuel mileage; it certainly will not produce any benefits.

The carbureted 2-strike Mercuries (115 and 200 hp) that I have had both called for 87 octane.

me!

The manual for the SUV says 87 as the lowest but it recommends Premium gas for "best performance".

I don't think that there are any industry standards for "Premium" gas.

Run the 87 except when towing. I am sure you will get spark knock with 87 (I do on my Yukon). Be carefull with the knock and dont push it when you hear it.

Mini

And I would also be willing to bet that you get "pinging" from the use of 87..... But what the heck! Give 89 a try and see what happens!

Unlike Mini, I will not run fuel that produces a knock/ping under any circumstances..... It isn't worth the aggrevation to me of hearing that gawd-awfull noise or wear on the engine.

Oh hell, I will just keep putting 93 in the darn thing. That's what I get for buying an expensive snootie, tootie car. I am just being cheap I guess.

By the way, I don't think I have ever experienced the ping.

Now also keep in mind that when you change fuels and/or driving habits, the computer system in your Infiniti will also make changes. For example when gas got expensive this summer I decided to drop my octane from 89 in my jeep down to 87. It did ping at first but after the second tank, the computer made it's own timing adjustment and viola...no more ping. My explorer detects a tow/non-tow situation and also makes computer changes.

TOXIC

The last report in Consumer Reports I read said to use ONLY the required level in the manual. If Infiniti says "87 as the lowest but it recommends Premium gas for "best performance"." try 87 and listen/see what happens. Did the Q come with a Infiniti extended warranty or is it covered under the factory warranty or is it completely out of warranty? The reason I ask is from a warranty repair perspective as long as you run the minimum recommended in the manual you'll be fine. BUT as Toxic and other said IF you hear any Pinging (you'll know it you'll put your foot down to accellerate and you'll hear it) ,go up a grade in gas for a tank or 2 and that should fix it.

I also believe that state-to-state the quality control on gas is different. When I lived in Indiana I noticed a VERY big difference between say a off-brand/small station vs. Shell. But down here in Georgia they have very tight quality control and i've had ZERO problems picking gas from cheapie stations like "race trak" or "quick trip'.

Have fun, catch fish, make sure ALL your tires are at proper PSI, double check your chains/hitch (both ends with locking pins), grease your bearings, check you lights...

It is under warranty bumper to bumper until 72,000 then power train to 100,000. That's really why I bought it after all the problems I had with my Trailblazer.

I did stay at 34 psi for the tires. Someone asked what I decided but I can't remember what post that was on.

Teri, I've run my Merc 115 on 87 for three seasons and it likes it just fine. That motor doesn't live on the jagged edge of high performance and won't benefit from higher octane.

Regarding your QX4: The reason they recommend premium gas is that the higher octane allows the engine management computer to advance the spark timing to a point where it can produce more power, because the higher octane gas won't pre-detonate (pinging or knocking) as easily as lower octane gas. The result is another 5 to 10 hp, which allows Nissan/Infinit to make very nice "most horsepower in class" advertising claims when trying to market the vehicle.

You can safely run 87 octane. The engine's computer can detect knocking, and will retard the timing of the spark to minimize or eliminate knock.

Wow Rich, you sound like you know what you are talking about. Big words and everything!! Ha! Just yanking your chain. Thanks for the advice. Maybe on vacation I will use the cheap stuff and see what happens. I will have alot of time to sit in the car and listen for pinging. I probably won't hear it over the radio.

It depends a bit on who's gas your buying. Don't buy gas for the cheap noname stations. Find a good name brand station in your area that does a decent amount of business. That way your assured fresh gas with consistant quality. Then use that same gas all (or most) of the time. Your vehicle computer will not have to make constant adjustments (this could take up to 4-600 miles). There has been alot of discussion about this on some of the truck message boards I belong to.

Those cheap noname stations buy their gas from whoever is the cheapest that day. And NO! all gas is not the same. The base product may be the same but all companies add their own blend of additives and detergents.

If you can find a company that refines their own, even better.

I use Sunoco 89 octane at a station close to work. It also happens to have the least expensive gas in the county. :)

Dave

Teri,

I was a professional mechanic for years. Rich Stern's advice is the most accurate. Use it.

It is not unusual to hear small amounts of pinging up a steep grade or under a heavy load, but if it does it for long durations, it can cause major engine damage.

david......

I clicked on here thinking this was going to be a Tums vs Rolaids discussion. Something I'm finally an expert at. Oh well.

As far as the gas-o-leene thing goes, what all those guys said is right. Use the cheap stuff unless you hear engine knocking. Then move up. Unless you think the Saudis should have even more of your $$$$$.

Harpo

Just a note on some comments above.

The state to state thing and quality control:

Used to be, there were 2-3 blends of gasoline across the country, period. Now there are hundreds. One of the reasons that contribute to the overall cost of gas. Many states pass laws (specially CA) that require certain mixes and/or emmision standards that are addressed by mutliple blends of gasoline.

No name stations versus big name stations. As stated above, the amount of gas that get's turned over is important. The longer the gas sits in those underground tanks, the more prone they are to getting pollutants, being affected by seepage (both in and out) and also moisture condensation within the tanks. In many areas, the gas you see at CITGO, BP, EXXON, Texaco, Handy Pantry, etc. - are from the same distribution point/source.

I ran 93 for years in my LeSabre. Switched to 89 octane this year - not a problem at all. Motor still runs great. I had just been wasting my money.

Tex

Heck I thought was gonna' be somekind of "OTHER" contest...Whew...

I use 87 in my 94 Silverado but, found something curious that YOU may want to check for yourself(different vehicles have different results or none at all).

I have noticed a slight increase in MPG with a higher octane and I have a little more pull it seems. Definitely notice if I drop to 87 octane that the mileage goes down at least 2 MPG. Now of course there is a few things you may have to consider...I have a few add ons (dual eaxhaust,K&N and air tube)it seems to run better with 92 or 93...so you can run on 87 but, I'm with the others..it may do better with higher octane when towing or loaded.

Your boat...don't go over 89..unless kickin' the jet in..then you'd wanna use JP Rocket Fuel.

TEE

Back