Fishing High Water

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Feist

Reaction score
Tomorrow our club tournament was changed from a COE lake that has been closed because of floods last week. The water is too high and all of the launches are under water. We are fishing a lake that is sort of our club's "home" lake instead because while the water is a lot higher than normal, it's open and relatively free of debris. A lot of the places that I usually catch fish there are 5-10 feet deeper than normal. Has anyone had any success and can give me some good advice for high water?

In our lakes down here it's one of two things. You can go as shallow as you can(<1' of water), or you can fish for suspended fish (same areas as usual but right under the surface instead of on bottom). What they do depends on how fast the water rises and how long it has been up. Slower rise or longer high level means closer to the bank. I'm sure you'll get other opinions, but that is what has worked for me.

Go as shallow as you can go and fling spinnerbaits and/or buzzbaits!! If the water is stained or dirty,...use colorado blades and darker colors...fish will usually prowl the shorelines when the water is up...also pitch jigs and worms around the shallow structure.

Good Luck!!

Mac

Brian, I just came back from a lake by me tonight where the water is higher than usual, enough to change the shoreline. I was fishing right up on the shore just like these guys said. I got three in 1 hour.

I hate to be the 4th guy to give the same advice but.....what they said. If that doesn's work I might back off a some and try a Rattletrap.

Harpo

Latest posts

Back