First outing of the year

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Watson

Reaction score
Well we got the boat out for the first trip of the season on Saturday. Temps were 27degrees, windchill of 12 and water temp was 40 degrees. The snow was blowing sideways and the spray from the boat was freezing in mid-air. Didn't catch a thing. Destroyed three of the five fishing reels with us. Had two teenage boys whimpering from the cold and eating frozen granola bars. The Pro-Deep V16 ran perfect and started first try. The 67lb thrust trolling motor handled the river current without blinking an eye. Me, I was finally back in my boat with a rod in my hand and grinning from ear to ear. Life is good!

Have a good season everyone,

Mike

David, Yep that is exactly where I went. We went out the State Park and went up the river to the 173 bridge. Marked some fish but couldn't get any to bite. Most of the other anglers we talked to had the same results. I might try to hit the Chain again this week, maybe Friday but this time head towards Lake Marie. It's supposed to warm up by then. Once the pleasure boaters hit the Chain (usually in May) I quit going there and fish Wisconsin instead.

Mike

David, Yep that is exactly where I went. We went out the State Park and went up the river to the 173 bridge. Marked some fish but couldn't get any to bite. Most of the other anglers we talked to had the same results. I might try to hit the Chain again this week, maybe Friday but this time head towards Lake Marie. It's supposed to warm up by then. Once the pleasure boaters hit the Chain (usually in May) I quit going there and fish Wisconsin instead.

Mike

I may be out there this weekend - look for a charcoal nitro w/ bright blue stripes... If I'm out it will be on Saturday -- FYI - there's a small tournament on Bang's lake Sunday, interested? Not a bass boat type of thing, although I'll have mine of course...

As to the chain, muddy water, shallow... channels...

I keep my Sundays reserved for my grandson. That is our day to spend together. Since he is only three he is not up to the tournament thing yet but we are working on it. LOL! Saturday is the "Honey Do List" day which is why I am trying to sneak out of work on Friday.

I agree on your specs on the chain. I am going to try and hit the channels this time out and maybe see if I can't get a wandering Walleye out of Marie.

Latest posts

Back