First Time On the Lake This Year

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Harp

Reaction score
Andy and I got out to the lake today for the first time. Man O Man!! It was great. Instead of going to Bell Cow, my usual lake, I deicided to go to Arcadia a local like that I really don't like very much. I thought the $12 fee would still be cheaper than the 1/2 tank of gas it takes to get to Bell Cow. The boat started with minimal coaxing. The only ill effect of the long winter was on the trailer jack witch is tighter than a rusty vice.

Only caught one Bass but it was a very nice 5 pounder that had a gut on him that made me think he's been going to the same all you can eat Chinese food buffet that I go to. He was hiding under a rock ledge about 6 feet from the bank in about 3 feet of water. I caught him on a red craw Bomber Flat A. I can't believe I even got him in the boat because he was just barly skin hooked in the nose, not the lip bone. That was all the action for the day. I fished the crankbait for awhile then switched to a salt craw and then a blue/black jig and pitched around in the stumps. The water temp was 55 to 59 degrees and the air temp too warm with a jacket and too cool without one.

Harpo

I love arcadia, i've only fished it twice though both about 2 years ago.

I havent caught a lot of fish out of there but the ones i have caught have been quality fish.

My first trip i pitched a black and red jig under a laydown and a 4 and half pounder whacked it.

Its my kind of lake. Lots of wood, lots of laydowns.

Glad to know that the boat ran well. I got to thinking my skiff is the same way. My 9.9 hasnt been ran since October and has had the same gas since then. I hope it starts next week! I'll try to start it up some time during the week though.

BJ

oh yeah the weather today.. I had a fleece jacket to start the day, got warm around 11ish, took it off, put it back on...lol a regular wind breaker would have been nice today

Your right BJ, the fish you do catch at Arcida are usually nice size fish. That's the way Bell Cow is too but with only a $5 ramp fee or $25 a year compared to $124 for an Edmond resident at Arcida. Also, as soon as the water warms up the jetskis, seadoos, water skiers, and party animals will drive you off the water. I guess it is a pretty good lake though, especially with gas prices as high as they are. If you like wood you'd love Bell Cow and you live out by Wes Watkins, don't you go there?

Harpo

Watkins, well...lol...ummm yeah the virus hit out there pretty bad last year and it got TOUGH! plus the water go VERY low. Shawnee Twin Lakes have been super low too. prob was a broken water line that was losing an estimated 2 million gallons of water a day. To read more put a search in at goodle for "shawnee twin lakes" u should be able to find something.

I've always wanted to go to bell cow, i've heard a lot about the lake. My dad drove out there one day when he was driving up that way for something. He said it was cheap to fish out there.

oh yeah..watkins is back up, shawnee is still down i think. I drive by the west end of watkins when i get my hair cut, my barber is out that way. The creek that you see on harrah/newalla road is full, not down like it used to be and water is back up on that flat near the road like it used to be.

Fishign should be decent out there this year. I havent had a chance to go. But its not cheap out there eaither. Draper is 10 minutes from my house. The fishign has improved some and i fish out htere some for a quick trip. Its fairly cheap. 20 a year i think, or 25.. but i may go out there 20 times a year, so at a daily price of 5$ a yearly isnt bad and it pays for itself.

and also, the jet skis and wake boarders. The first time i fished arcadia i was the only boat out there. It was a cold march day and with a few clouds. The second time was in April and the high was in the high 70s... it seems like a lake to fish early in the year or late in the year. or get up in the creek or around the wood, the jet skis, and ski boats dont go there because they could hit something.

BJ

I drove by the south ramp the other day just to take a look and the water level at Wes is back to normal and I think the LMV problem is history too. I'm told it only affected the largest fish which is too bad to because there were some very large fish in that lake. I know in 2002 there would be several 10+ pounders caught every month and a 12 or 14 pounder (I can't remember now) was caught over by the north loading ramp. I caught a 7 pounder there myself, what a thrill. I don't mind paying the $12 fee when I know I have a shot at a fish like that. I didn't fish there at all last year but I do like that lake alot and am anxious to go back.

Another "lunker lake" that I like but have only fished once is Crowder, out by Weatherford. It's basicly a little bitty lake with two very long creek arms and tons of cover and cattails and laydowns.

Someday you ought to haul your boat up to Bell Cow and meet me there and I have you follow me in my boat and I'll show you where to go. There is sooooooo much cover and roadbeds and creek channels there that is a little overwhelming to someone who's never been there. Or you could just meet me after school someday and we'll drive up there together. You will love Bell Cow once you fish it a couple of times.

Harpo

Lets definatly try to get together sometime and fish. Last year it seemed like everytime you wanted to go i was headed in the opposite direction. I'll try to let you know of some dates i'll be available. With golf after school and tournys starting up it may be a couple of weeks.

Back