Report from Santee Cooper this past weekend. Dangerous conditions

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
This account (unedited content) was taken from a subscription service that I belong to. From someone who fished this past Saturday at the Santee Cooper BFL.

I fished the 2nd event of the BFL on Saturday at Santee Cooper and it is one that I will be telling my grandkids about! The weather man had called for heavy thunderstorms on Friday and severe wind on Saturday. Well he missed the thunderstorms, it didn't rain much and he also missed the wind. They said the wind was going to blow 20 mph, but take it from an eye witness, it was up to 40 mph!

The worst thing was that lots of guys were really catching the fish in the lower lake in practice with the tournament blasting off from the upper lake at John C. Land. The fish that I was on was also in the lower lake and I had to make a decision about risking it to get down there.

I have a Triton TR-186 with a Mercury 150, not a huge boat as far as bass boats go. I weighed all the odds and decided that I had to cross over and get to the canal. I figured I could catch a good bag there, and then hurry back before the wind got too bad. I blasted off #2 and was very surprised because the wind wasn't really bad first thing in the morning.

I crossed the lake in the markers, ran behind Sixteen island, through Cherry Grove, and into the canal to Black's Camp (in the lower lake). I fished a spawning pocket that I had caught bedding fish in the week before and had no bites. I backed out and fished trees and caught 2 fish that weighed 9 pounds and 3 ounces.

It was now about 8:30 and the wind had picked up so much that I had to run my 69 lb thrust trolling motor on 5 to even fish the trees. I left Black's to try one more spot in the canal and couldn't get a bite. By this time the wind made the lake, even though I was in protected areas, almost impossible to fish. I knew that I better try to head back.

The water in the canal was rushing so fast that you could not idle past Hill's landing. I made the left turn into the cut that goes to Cherry grove and could not believe the waves.

The time was now about 10:15, I was driving west, dead into the wind but still in protected water. The waves were at least five footers and 5 minutes into it, the head of my trolling motor got snapped off. A minute later, my net got thrown out.

We ran all the way through the islands, past sixteen, past the last couple of islands and turned out to go toward the channel markers.

What I saw is something that I hope to never see again! You couldn't call it waves, it was more like walls of water, and I'll put my hand on the Bible and say that they were 10 to 12 foot high! I turned the boat around and decided that it just wasn't worth it. My co-angler was just as scared as I was and said that he would rather walk home than try to cross.

We called the tournament director to see if there was any way that we could drive the fish over from Rocks Pond, due to the dangerous conditions. To my surprise he said that the only way to weigh those fish was to get across that lake, either by my boat, or another BFL boat!

About 30 minutes later, I saw a big Champion boat come driving down Sixteen Island. By the run he made, I knew that he new Santee well. I waved him over and it was a guy who had already helped me earlier in the day. I wish I knew his name, but I don't. He said that he lived there all his life and that he had 3 fish and he was going to cross the lake!

I said, "look at this boat and you tell me, can I cross that lake!". To my surprise, he said, "Yes". He told me not the drive the boat, but to idle out to the markers.

It was now 12:00 and I had to be in by 2:00. I got in behind him and began to idle out. About the 3rd big wave, the nose of the boat went under and filled the inside up with water, up to the seats. It was also like someone had a fire hose and was spraying me in the face with it. Luckily, I<

Just as a note, the 'I' above, was someone else not me. I've been on Santee with 15-20 mph winds, and would NOT be on it with anything higher.

For those that haven't fished Santee, most of the lake is not readily navigable. You have to run in 'safe channels'. What this also means is that you cannot run a particular direction in relation to the wind/waves. If you are in the canal or lower lake, and need to get back to TawCaw Creek (as above), you have to run in the safe channel that is marked.

Tex

And THAT is why i don't tournament fish. Sometimes it is just too dangerous. That guy is very lucky to be alive today. Hats off to u tourney guys, Ya'll will fish in any weather!!

Another message board reported that there were over 30 boats, that could not make it back to the landing that day. Many reported that they were beached, and the DNR was performing rescue operations well into the evening.

Tex

I second that, if its blowing over 15 MPH on the St. Johns River, I stay home.... I dont tourny fish and its not worth the risk or headache dealing with the current and wind. Cant wait for the 1-5 MPH 90 deg. summer days again...

i fish tournys and you just have to ask yourself is it worth the risk.

i would never risk the life of my co-angler for a few bucks and points. it seams that a little common sense would have told him to stay close by or call it a day and find some were to tie up for the night.

he new the wind was going to blow hard but still made the run to the ther side of the lake. i would rather take the DQ and fish another day.

my 2cents

GregD

If I even thought there was a chance I wouldn't make it, then there is no doubt I wouldn't 'cause I'm not trying.

I'll bet his check didn't even cover the cost of the trolling motor repairs.

That's just plain crazy OR stupid! I'd beach the boat and forget the tourny! NOT worth it....

I've been in a swamped boat and it's NO FUN! We lost almost all our tackle but, the worse was watching my cooler sink with all the dam beer in it! Ouch!

This is a good time to check your insurance coverage too.

There is at least one individual who has a totaled hull and he did not have full replacement coverage on his 2003 Stratus.

Now he has a to pay out of pocket to replace his hull since they are only paying current value for a 2003 hull.

Michael in Columbia SC

The TD needs to have his head examined. I would have pulled out and demanded a refund of the entry fee. Safety First!! Always...NO exceptions.

TOXIC

Reports are that the T.D. was asked repeatedly, for reschedule, postpone, ability to trailer - reportedly, all were met with the same answer:

NO.

Tex

I'd say that guy is lucky he made it. I would have beached the boat and waited the storm out. Mother Nature doesn't have a conscious and will get ya!

I'm with the beach it and wait it out crowd. 2 sunday's ago my wife took the kids up to NC for a day trip to visit a summer camp (I teach Sunday school so could not go) and was DYING to go fishing! Planned it for WEEKS. Well Sat night I check the weather forecast and it predicts thunderstorms and potential high wind/hail. So I get everything ready just in case and go to Sunday school. I finish at 12:30pm, and am home in the driveway backing the van up at 1pm. Go inside after I hook up the boat and check the weather. Looks like 1-2 hours of no rain before the front, and I live 5 mins from the ramp. But as I review reports from cities south west of here (weather is moving north east) I read high winds and hail. So, I un hook the boat, grab a beer and watch "the Italian Job" on DVD. sure enough 2 hours later HAIL and 40 mph winds.

I LOVE to fish, and LOVE to get out on the water, but NOTHING is worth risking life or limb for in a boat.

When it got windy and fairly choppy out yesterday at Ky Lake we headed-in and trailered the boat. A lot of people stayed out (in boats same/similar to ours) but that's their call. 8 yrs, 6 mos, 29 days of sea-duty gave me a healthy respect for nasty weather. Better to be safe and live to fish another day ;)

Latest posts

Back