Depth Finder, Speedometer Trouble

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike McHargue

Reaction score
I have a 1997 Nitro 205 Sport. The deppth finder only flashes the depth intermittently. Sometimes will work the entire day and other days just a few seconds here and there. It does have continous power and displays the FT symbol and will allow to reset the warning depth but just does not display the depth all the time. Any Ideas?

Same boat, the speedometer does not work. I have tracked the tube to the lower unit of the motor where ther are 2 holes on the left side of the lower unit. I can not find a bad spot in th tubing and the holes in the lowere unit are clear. Any ideas?

the speedo issue is very common and 9 times out of 10 the pitot hole in the LU gets plugged with debris. the hols is very small on the leading edge of the lower unit. you will have to dig out the debris.

Mike, if the transducer is mounted thru-hull, check to see if the puck came loose from the epoxy. It happens and the ducer will just slide about getting the readings you're talking about.

It is the factory Hummingbird that came in my Nitro boat in dash. I cant seem to even find the tranducer. Any help there?

Mike,

What is the model shown on the faceplate of the unit? It may not show it there, depending on the model, so you may have to power it on and watch for the model name as it is starting up.

The transducer will be plugged into the back of the unit, so you may have to do some digging into your console. The business end of it will be in one of two places: outside on the transom or epoxied inside the hull in the sump area.

Greg Walters at Humminbird

The depth finder is simple 2 inch black gage, no modle number on it or on start up. All it says is HUMMINGBIRD across the top and depth/alarm on the bottom. Between is the alarm set button. Nothing is on the outside of the boat in the transom area so must be epoxied somewhere in a not so obvious area. I did locate the bilge and both live well pumps and nothing else in that area in the center under the battery charger. Guess I will have to follow the wiring but it is really ran nicely and in several flex conduit. Last tiem out it was reall intermittent but the tie before that it worked all day perfectly. Thanks for you help.

Whats your thoughts on a 596c hd di? I am going to purchase one this month but havent made up my mind yet. Dont have much expereince in this area of using one. Budget is only about $550

Mike,

It sounds like you have one of the digital only units (HDR 200 or HDR 600). Typically these had an inside-the-hull transducer which is somewhere in the hull of your boat. Strange that it would not be in the sump area since this is the lowest part of the hull

Thanks Greg. The wife says I can get a fish finder for my birthday later in May. I dont know if I need GPS or not. Fish Mark Twain Lake and Lake Ozark mostly. Very familiar with both. Howmuch more is a modle with GPS? Going to Bass Pro in a couple weeks. Love their selection there but dont want to totally rely on a salesman for info.

Even if you can find your way back to the ramp blindfolded; it is still worthwhile to have GPS for marking those favorite fishing spots.

.... and idling out in the fog......and get accurate speed readings....

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back