Fish Finder Problem

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
The fish finder that was installed on my boat didn't work. I took it back and they replaced the Piranha 2 with an XP 2000. It doesn't work right either. It starts up and says "Transducer connected" and it will display the water temp but nothing else. It reads O ft and the rest of the screen is blank. The first time they told me it was a problem with the unit. Now I am beginning to think it's the transducer or the wiring. Any ideas?

Kinda a dumb suggestion, but you are trying it while "in" the water right? It will act screwy on land.

Check the x'ducer wire for any kinks or cuts...................sa

Could be that they left an air bubble between the transducer and the hull.

The temp is probably an external probe.

Since it say's "Transducer connected", it means the transducer is there, but it is obviously not reading/sending right.

Personally, I have heard so many bad reports on 'birds that I don't trust them when they do work. My first Nitro had a 'bird on it, I didn't like it at all.

Go back to the dealer and have them re-do the transducer itself. Since this is your second bad experience with the same brand, talk to them about upgrading you to a real fish finder. I like the Garmin's, the 240 is a great unit. Other's like the Lowrance series.

I agree on the Garmin 240. However, a better "value" is the $199 Eagle Fishmark 320. It's got 320x320 resolution. I have a Garmin 240 and a Lowrance x-91. Both are FINE units. Lowrance owns Eagle, by the way.

If everything else looks to be in order, then there probably is obstruction in the epoxy (or whatever they used to stick it down). Usually you will get 'some' kind of reading though. Also could be not enough power. They should check the voltage for you. The wiring guage maybe too thin.............sa

Latest posts

Back