New Nitro owner signing in

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Droke

Reaction score
Hi guys! I'm just purchased a 1994 170DC with a 90 Mercury about 2 weeks ago. Man this thing is a gem! It was a one owner and has one scratch on it. Finish, trailer, carpet and motor are a 9.5 out of 10. I took my new minnkota off the old jon boat and put it on her. The boat had not been on the water since 2004. Runs great while in gear, a little rough at idle. The previous owner had disconnected the oil injection so I'm running her premix 50:1. Has a few issues: Tachometer is not working, trim guage is always showing full up, speedometer was unhooked. I checked the hole on the lower unit and could not get it unclogged. I tried every wire and drill bit trick I have heard, no big deal I may just install a drop down pitot tube on the transom by the transducer. Biggest thing i noticed was the warning buzzer goes off continuous (indicates overheat) after a couple minutes of full throttle. The water pump is pumping great and I know she has oil in the gas. I dropped it off at my local mercury shop Monday for some evaluation and repair. All in all a great deal on this boat. I don't mind fixing a few issues that's to be expected on anything that has been stored for a while. Does anyone have any advice on the trim tab anode. I installed a new one (old one was bent) it does fine on plane but pulls hard left and tilts the entire boat hard left if you don't trim up as soon as you punch the throttle. Anyway I'm glad to be one of the guys with a Nitro.

:)

Welcome! Lots of guys smarter than me on this board always willing to help.

My 2 cents, if they don't suggest at least a new water pump and changing the lower unit oil, find someone to do it. Water pumps have a bad habit of working great right up until they come apart, usually miles from launch! Most recommend at least a new impellor every 3 years, and I would bet the rubber is dried out after being stored so long. The lower unit oil is a cheap change that will save big bucks.

Enjoy the new toy!

John,

What must be done to fix the trim issue. I am an aircraft mechanic by trade. I just don't have alot of experience on bigger outboards or bass boats. What is causing this trim issue?

I did change the lower unit oil and the spark plugs. I agree on the pump and plan to do that soon. Hopefully it will last for at least my next two tournaments and then I'll change it. Thanks for the info.

Chris welcome! Take some WD40 and use the spray tube that comes with the WD. Spray it in the fitting where your speedometer hooks up. Let it sit, spraying it when you pass by your boat for a couple days, should break free. The trim gauge is not needed. Put yourself a water pressure gauge in that spot. As far as the trim issue, you will get used to that. you should be trimming up as you give it full throttle. If not the bow is to low and digging in.

Bubby:)

The "Tilt" issuse is prop tourque. There is nothing wrong with the trim or the boat. At lower speeds the boat is not on pad, so it tilts to the side. You will just need seat time to feel your boat out and learn to trim. Be careful to trim down when coming off WOT as it will fall off pad and pull then as well.

Welcome... Lots of good advise given... Good luck.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm sure glad there is a network for us nitro guys to share information. I did call the marine shop today and instruct them to install a new water pump. They quoted me $75 parts and labor. Heck, even though I've done them before that is affordable enough to not even consider doing it myself. Hopefully in the future I can post some pics of my boat and some FISH! :D

Sounds like you're getting close to hitting the water. Can't wait to see the pics of your catch and the boat.

Latest posts

Back