Lowrance depth finder issues

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim in VA

Reaction score
Hey all:

Went out running on Lake Anna Saturday. Had the boat going about 50 - 55mph and the Lowrance X71 was working just fine the first run. After a bit of fishing, I headed back towards the other part of the lake. About half way there, the Lowrance stopped reading - kept flashing 268 feet. Seeing as Lake Anna is about 60 feet (give or take) at its deepest point on the hot side, I figured the fishfinder was a bit off due to some turbulence under the transducer. However, when I slowed to trolling speed, the finder wouldn't re-engage. It would flash 0.0 feet repeatedly. Sometimes, it would bounce up to 183ft or 268ft again, but never read right. I tried resetting by going back to all default settings and shutting off, waiting a few seconds and restarting - same thing 0.0 feet with the number flashing.

So what did I do wrong? Is it possible the transducer died? What's the chances the head unit is out? It was working fine before and about a week ago, so I doubt it could have been electrical interference from the flasher unit or bow mounted unit. Any assistance or idas greatly appreciated!

Check that the transducer is still level and not kicked up. Sometimes Lowrance depth finders need to be powered off and back on if you get in real shallow water if it doesn't find bottom again.

Bob G.

Not knowing anything about your setup, this is meatball surgery at its best.

When I had that same problem, it was because my thru hull puck had become loose in it's mounting. unit couldn't read through the "air" underneath the puck. Re-mounted the puck correctly and it was smooth sailing.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Marty - I agree, hard to diagnose over the internet, even if you DO know the set up! Mine is wired with a bulleted shaped transducer mounted on the transom. Its set up to be in a clean stream of water, even on plane.

I did get a chance to reach out to Lowrance customer service thanks to a tip from a lister here. She told me that most times, with the symptoms I described, its a bad transducer. So its off to BPS (or online) to get a new one. Good thing I just got a coupon from BPS in the mail!!

jim,

i would also check the cable, to see if it got knicked or got a slice in it, that will give it a funky reading for sure. after that there is not to much t o check.

mike c

Check the gold pins at the connection of the cable to the unit.

Sometimes one or more will bend.

Ed

Latest posts

Back