Bob B. - UPDATE for Merc 150 Fourstroke

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Heitman

Reaction score
Bob B.... You remember my last post re: steering concerns on my 2012 Targa V18 w/ new Mercury 150 Fourstroke. Came with a 17P Enertia prop and had massive steering torque. You pointed out factory called for 18P prop and I had them change it. Well, I just spent three days on three different lakes in all sorts of conditions, and what a difference the 18P makes. I would have never beleived that such a small change, from a 17P to an 18P, could make such a big difference. I now have "normal" torque steer on hole shot and at speed. At WOT I'm turning 5300 rpm and 46 mph with full load and two people. I'm happy with hole shot, handling, and top speed. But, I'm a little concerned that motor should be turning closer to 5600 - 5800 rpm. What are your thoughts? Targa

That motor is very "understressed". WOT spec for that motor is 5000-5800. Very broad indeed. Bottom line is you are within factory spec, so don't worry, ENJOY IT!!!! Glad it's resolved. ;)

Thats good news. Glad to hear it was a simple fix. Has your wife tried driving it again?

Thanks Bob for all your help!. Do you know what the correct prop hub is for that motor and prop? Part number and price? I fish where there's lots of trees and I'd like to buy a spare to carry with me so I don't get stranded. BowTech Guy... wife hasn't tried it yet. I'll let you know. Thanks! Targa

14.5x18 INERTIA w/ hub kit Sugg List $691.00....your cost $515.00 + S/H. Of course you do realize that as a "spare", you could use an aluminum......bear in mind they don't perform the same, but it'll get you back home. :rolleyes:

Bob... I guess maybe I don't understand. In the old days we had shear pins that would break if you hit something with the prop. I always carried extra, just in case. I thought these bigger motors now used a plastic hub that would shatter if you hit something with the prop. That's what I was looking for, a replacement hub that I could carry as a spare. Straighten me out. Thanks! Targa

Targa-I can still remember my Dad carrying shear pins in his tackle box (the St Johns river was full of logs), but that was for small "kicker" outboards. New high HP motors have hubs that may spin out when you hit something, but it is not an on-the-water repair. If you spin the hub on the water, you would need to replace the prop. The aluminum backup is a good choice because of cost.

I'm at home now but I thought you were looking for the whole set up, sorry my bad. I'll get you the hub price tomorrow am. James, the new flo torque hubs are in fact field serviceable. Just pound out the broken plastic and slide the new one in. Be sure to carry enough tools to remove the prop (pliers, 1 1/16" prop wrench, small hammer and a screwdriver), and replace the hub.

Thanks Bob. Can you get me the correct part number as well so I can check and be confident they have the correct hub in there now? I was told they replaced it with a Flo Torque 4. Thanks! Targa

Thanks for the info on the hubs Bob. Many years ago a friend had a prop repair shop-there was always a waiting list of folks waiting for him to press in a new hub.

The prop hub part number for the Flo-Torq 4 hub kit is #835257K10 Sugg List $118.39, members recieve a 10% discount. However.....as a SPARE, the original part number for the Flo-Torq 2 is #835257K1 Sugg List $55.13. Either can be used, the "4" reduces prop rattle. E-mail [email protected] if interested!! ;)

Bob B. Thanks so much! You have been very helpful. So, I guess you're saying the Flo Torque 4 hub is the correct choice for that motor and prop? Targa

Back