Changed Propeller On V175-sc

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perry White

Reaction score
I bought a new tracker v175-SC in 2012. it came with the 90hp mercury 4 stroke which had the standard aluminum 19 pitch three blade prop. All in all I am pretty pleased with the boat/motor except hole shots are poor to say the least. the V175-SC is a big heavy boat. Everytime I had to play with motor trim to get out of
the hole and onto plane and it seemed to take a while (nearly 10 seconds). When on plane my top speed is 42 mph. Last summer (2014) i decided it was time to purchase a new propeller and wanted to go stainless. The online propeller selection tools from Mercury did their job but I still couldn't decide. Finally I found a site where you could post questions and they said someone would contact me. It didn't take long and I had a gentleman call me. He was very helpful, he recommended a 4 blade trophy plus 17 pitch propeller. He assured me that my hole shots would improve and cautioned that I would lose top end speed. So, I took the plunge and bought the prop (around $630 with shipping )and I anxiously awaited it's arrival It came the next afternoon (i'm retired) so I put it on and I picked up my wife after work (she's not retired) and off to the boat ramp we went.
We put the boat into the water, I parked the truck and trailer and off we went.
Wow... I got out into the main channel of the river and pushed the throttle full forward. Man the boat literally lept out of the water and onto plane. I couldn't believe the difference. I had turned the family sedan into a sports car. I throttled down to a stop and tried it again just to make sure I wasn't dreaming. This time I kept going to check top end. To my amazement I had only lost 1 mph and was going 41 mph. I was delighted.
Somewhere I read an analogy about 4 blade propellers, it said think of it as trying to swim with two arms rather than one, that 4th blade was providing an additional push.

Attachments

• IMG_4335.jpg
    IMG_4335.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 130
uh....... how do I move this topic over to Props and out of trucks & trailers? my bad

Latest posts

Back