Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas Sylvester

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

New to Nitroowners. I just bought a 2019 Z18 with a 150 Pro XS four-stroke. This engine came standard with a Fury 23P 3 blade prop with all 3 PVS holes fully plugged. I also have a mechanical 6” slide master jack plate. Running approx 2-1/2” below pad. Boat runs very smooth, pops up on plane. however, here’s the problem...

Running some tests during initial break in period (so not running WOT for more very long), it appears to getting around 5800 RPM, but maxing out top speed around 54 MPH. Seeing what others are getting out of there 150’s and Z18’s seems like I should be getting closer to 65 MPH?

Load has been approx 1/2 tank of gas, loaded with tackle and just myself and a passenger.

Do you think my prop pitch should be 24P instead of 23P, engine height adjusted? Jumping on plane, Cavitation and/or slip don’t seem to be any problems. I get some porpoising when coming down to low speed planing around 3500 rpm, but nothing adjusting trim didn’t smooth out as normal.

Thoughts? Thank you ahead if time!

My 2018 Z18/150 4S came with a Fury 24. Hole shot sucked but it ran 61 with a tank of fuel and just me in it. I hung 2 Talons on it and it was REALLY a dog. Nitro sent me a Tempest Plus 22. Better hole shot, top speed 56, but the mid range lagged behind what I wanted. I tried a Tempest Plus 23...descent hole shot, good mid range (4000 RPM=40MPH, 4500 RPM=45MPH, top end still 56 turning around 5500 RPM. Hole shot was 10 to 12 seconds with 2 guys and full livewell. Less than 5 with just me in it, 1/2 fuel and empty livewell. So, not being satisfied with anything, I put a 4 blade Trophy 23 on it this weekend and will put it in the water tomorrow. I like my Talons but they sure are heavy!!! Power-Poles would have saved me 37 pounds aft of the transom. I also added an Atlas 6" jackplate to change the mounts for the Talons. I didn't know the sandwich mounts violated Mercury's warranty. I will post the results on the Trophy prop here and on the other thread.
If you want to go upwards of 60, you bought the wrong motor. I wish Merc had the 175 4S when I ordered mine...

My 2018 Z18/150 4S came with a Fury 24. Hole shot sucked but it ran 61 with a tank of fuel and just me in it. I hung 2 Talons on it and it was REALLY a dog. Nitro sent me a Tempest Plus 22. Better hole shot, top speed 56, but the mid range lagged behind what I wanted. I tried a Tempest Plus 23...descent hole shot, good mid range (4000 RPM=40MPH, 4500 RPM=45MPH, top end still 56 turning around 5500 RPM. Hole shot was 10 to 12 seconds with 2 guys and full livewell. Less than 5 with just me in it, 1/2 fuel and empty livewell. So, not being satisfied with anything, I put a 4 blade Trophy 23 on it this weekend and will put it in the water tomorrow. I like my Talons but they sure are heavy!!! Power-Poles would have saved me 37 pounds aft of the transom. I also added an Atlas 6" jackplate to change the mounts for the Talons. I didn't know the sandwich mounts violated Mercury's warranty. I will post the results on the Trophy prop here and on the other thread.
If you want to go upwards of 60, you bought the wrong motor. I wish Merc had the 175 4S when I ordered mine...
Yeah, 65MPH is not a resonable expectation with that setup. In reality, most will rarely see 60MPH unless that is the specific objective. 60 possible if you try hard. 65, I would have to see it in person to believe it without some serious technical tweeking with prop and setup.

Hey Guys,

New to Nitroowners. I just bought a 2019 Z18 with a 150 Pro XS four-stroke. This engine came standard with a Fury 23P 3 blade prop with all 3 PVS holes fully plugged. I also have a mechanical 6” slide master jack plate. Running approx 2-1/2” below pad. Boat runs very smooth, pops up on plane. however, here’s the problem...

Running some tests during initial break in period (so not running WOT for more very long), it appears to getting around 5800 RPM, but maxing out top speed around 54 MPH. Seeing what others are getting out of there 150’s and Z18’s seems like I should be getting closer to 65 MPH?

Load has been approx 1/2 tank of gas, loaded with tackle and just myself and a passenger.

Do you think my prop pitch should be 24P instead of 23P, engine height adjusted? Jumping on plane, Cavitation and/or slip don’t seem to be any problems. I get some porpoising when coming down to low speed planing around 3500 rpm, but nothing adjusting trim didn’t smooth out as normal.

Thoughts? Thank you ahead if time!
Copied from the other thread...
Today I added the TH Hole Shot plate on my jack plate, put the large (12mm) plugs in the Tempest 23P prop and installed it and took her for a ride. Hole shot was amazing! Just popped right up on plane. Will certainly be a little slower with a passenger and full livewell. That was with me (250 lbs) and a full tank of gas. Trimmed out nice. You can see the top end in the picture. Just nudged 57 once, but steady just under that with full trim and about 5600 RPM. Midrange was perfect. 4000 RPM about 41 GPS, 4500 about 46 GPS etc. I didn't get any porpoise out of it at lower speeds either like I did with the Tempest 22P and Trophy 23P. So, the Fury 24P gets the top end, but the Tempest 23P is my best all around prop.

Latest posts

Back