Boating Safety Course

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirk Schafer

Reaction score
Hello all,

Still waiting for delivery of my 882 from BPS. 4 weeks ago I successfully completed a Coast Guard approved boating safety course online at Boatsafe.com, paid the fee, $15.00. I'm still waiting for certificate for completing course. I understand that this could lower my boat insurance. Does anyone know anything about Boatsafe,com? Will want insurance prior to picking up boat.

Thanks for any info on this.

Kirk,

I took a free online course a few years ago at boatus.com. There is the option of printing the certificate or having one sent in the mail. The course is accepted by most states. I don't get a break on boat insurance cause my wife won't take the course and her name is on the boat and insurance policy!!! I would call your insurance company and find out which courses they accept.

Good luck with the 882 when it arrives.

Bob G.

I took a course last year and I received a small break, something like 10 or 15 bucks a year.

In CT you have to take a Safe Boating Course which consists of 8 hrs classroom study to get your State Safe Boating Certificate. It's mandatory here that you have your "boating liscence", even while operating the trolling motor. I used to be opposed to the idea of mandatory boaters lisence but, after seeing more and more yahoo's on the water every year, I've changed my mind.

I took the same one from "boatsafe".com it saved me a small amount on my premium. The good thing about it, a lot of states are leaning towards making it mandatory to have one. I think it's a great idea, but like Jon said, I think some of these jokers on the water should go to boating college, nevermind just a course.

Got that right!!...There's a whole lot more boats in our country than airplanes,..and can you imagine how scary it would be flying around if the sky was a total free for all like most of our lakes!!...man...if our skies were even remotely like St.Clair on a saturday afternoon.....I'd never fly again!!...ahahaha...atleast the FAA is a form of "organized chaos",...there's NO sanity on 'Clair!! LOL

Mac

I have Allstate Insurance on my rig (hope I never have to use it!) and I imagine some of the other agencies offer boat insurance also. as far as the licenses are concerned, they are not required yet in oklahoma. (wish they would come up with one for the jet ski's - 40 hrs classroom with a 400 question test - is that enough?) :)

jd

My wife and I took the Coast Guard course and we got a discount of 15% off our insurance.

Latest posts

Back