Boater Safety Courses to be REQUIRED!

• Thread starter William H. (Bill) Barham
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

William H. (Bill) Barham

Reaction score
I found these comments on another site and thought I should share over here to see if anyone knows anything about any of this. Quotation marks denote what I brought over from another site.

"For anyone that ever fishes New Hampshire....They require you to take a boating coarse and recieve a certificate to legally boat in NH. They have an on-line course that you can take but it will expire on January 1st and then you will have to take the test in person.The on-line test is the easy way to do it so if you want to get it done you only have a few days."

"Its not just NH guys..This is a National Association of State Boating Law Administrators

certificate and is valid in any state that requires you to carry a safe boater certificate or will in the future..I took the course on there site http://www.nasbla.org/ but i dont believe the offer it anymore online.

I believe this is a list of states that will require this certificate soon,with all states requiring it at some time in the future to cut down on the mess we currently have on our lakes..You can do it online now or sit in a class room in the future"

Alabama

Arkansas

California

Delaware

Florida

Georgia

Idaho

Illinois Indiana

Iowa

Kansas

Kentucky

Louisiana

Minnesota

Mississippi

Missouri Nevada

New Hampshire

North Carolina

Ohio

Oklahoma

Oregon

Pennsylvania

Rhode Island South Carolina

South Dakota

Tennessee

Texas

Utah

Vermont

Virginia

Washington

Wisconsin

" heard that class will be 3 nights per class at a coast guard approved facility at a hefty price"

It's $30.00 now in most states to do it via the internet so you know it will be a LOT more for classroom instruction...

So, if anyone knows anything.. I took the Coast Guard Boating course quite a bit ago. Will this suffice for the State laws that are or are going to be enacted?

If Bruce and I drive to Kentucky this fall for a N.T.O.W.S. get together, will we be breaking the law by going fishing?

Uncle Billy

This sounds like it is for "charter boat" operators or "for hire" boats.

New Jersey has been phasing the requirement for boating safety courses for a couple of years . A word of advice on the on-line courses . Make sure that your state recognizes and accepts these courses . New Jersey State Police who oversee Boating laws and regulations in the state do not accept certificates from these online courses . A fact which a couple of members of my club found out the hard way .

Having fished some of the most dangerous boating waters here in KS and back east in MO, I see that the need for this training is out there. It would also be nice if at that training they gave boaters a shot of common courtesy in the heinie and another of common sense.

Personally, I welcome the requirement for a license to operate a watercraft. There are too many nut cases out there who have NEVER operated a boat and don't have the foggiest as to navigation rules of the road. I take the Boat US safety course (on-line) every year to provide certification to my insurance company for a hefty 15% discount on my watercraft insurance (2 boats and a jetski).

Boat US is based on specific states so I am certified (or certifiable???) in Virginia waters. However, I think that the certification should be based on the types of water you boat on. I do not go to the bay or ocean so why do I need to know those rules of the road?

My $0.02!

I agree with Bill. Licensing for boating is not necessarily a bad idea, and one that I welcome. Completion of a recognized safe boating course is required currently to operate a boat in any of Washington, D.C.'s waters - which includes the Potomac River from somewhere north of Chain Bridge all the way down to the Woodrow Wilson draw span. As a result, I've taken such a course and refreshers. Having online courses is a good way to start. Most states now require mandatory boater safety for certain age groups to operate any watercraft - especially jetskis (typically the under 16 set or the 16 to 18 set). Having seen what goes on during the summer months on Lake Anna, I not only favor licensing, but enforcement as well!!

I agree, a boater safety course has its merits, but then again I see how many licensed idiots are on the highways. ;)

Vermont only requires this if you were born after January 1, 1974. Prior to that you were grandfathered.

Buzz

Billy, The NH one is still being phased in, they have been phasing it in since 2002. in 2007 Its anyone born in 1957 of after needs it, in 2008 everyone will. In NH as long as the class you take is nasbla certified your all set. In my case i took a Coast Guard Aux class some 10 years ago and since it has the nasbla seal on it im all set in NH. I just need to carry a copy of the cert in my boat.

I dont know what it costs elswhere but the NH classroom instruction is $10 for the class and $10 for the ID card when your done.

My Motto Is Grip It and Rip It...Let the water fly...HEE HEE..Beer cans for bobbers..."I Don't need no stinkin license" JR:)

I just took a 75 question practice test on the KS boating education website. I was surprised by some of the stuff they asked-- several questions on PWCs which to me would be irrelevant as I don't plan on owning one. There were many questions on giving way, etc. I need to do some homework.

You do need to know the "rules of the road" even if you run lakes. It goes into how to pass other boats, lights and other salient facts that make our lakes safe. Have you seen the USCG Rules of the Road regulations book....it is 3 inches thick!! That being said, if the current laws were enforced, it would be a great improvement. Things like operating personal watercraft around fishermen and the required distance spacing. Won't be long before these regulations get backdoored and we start to see speed restrictions and other laws that hurt us also.

TOXIC

There are things underfoot here on Lake Anna about speed and noise. We have a gentleman down the road a piece that hosts about 300 high performance boats each summer at his place. Many of the land and homeowners around the lake are demanding restrictions on such boats and the noise they make. Personally, I thought the large group handled themselves very well, stayed within certain areas and only had short (but noisy) runs. Don't know what the locals intend to do but it will be a messy debate. We are starting to get many here who believe NIMBY (not in my back yard) now that they reside here. Was different when they were weekenders and just visiting. Don't know what the common ground will be.

Jim C hit it on the head though! We need MORE enforcement! We don't have enough patrols, particularly in the summer to stop and check boaters. If they gave more tickets then they could hire more patrols. LOL :lol:

Here in Oregon it is required for everyone 50 and younger and I believe by 2009 it will be required by anyone operating a boat and/or Jet skies. It's about time.

Here it is.

Boaters 50 and younger must now carry a boater education card when operating powerboats (including personal watercraft or any motorized watercraft) greater than 10 hp. Law enforcement officers are issuing citations for non-compliance with the Mandatory Education Law. The citation fines are $94.

Youth 12-15 also need a boater education card when operating boats 0-10 hp alone. When operating over 10 hp, a card-holding adult (16 or older, 18 for personal watercraft) must be on-board to supervise.

Max <><

Apparently, the KY law is being mostly ignored. When the law for 12 - 17 year olds came into effect here I didn't get my son in to take the test until about 10 months after it kicked in. I was always in the boat with him when he operated it so he was legal without the permit. I had to set up an appointment to meet the Game & Fish guy at the driver's license testing center. While my son was taking the exam I asked the officer how busy they were with issuing the licenses and he said my boy was the first one ever for this region. He told me they were only planning on enforcing it if there was an accident or serious infraction. It's been a few years so I don't know if they are enforcing it more strictly or not now. Hutch

I amazed that KY would take that approach and even more amazed that a state representative would tell you that. Their lack of enforcement could be seen as contributing to an environment that cause serious injury or death. Such a policy establishes ready made "deep pockets" for a lawsuit.

What it shows me is that once again, folks would rather choose to ignore established regulations and law, even if it puts others at risk--and these people are our fishing comrades.

I agree that Licensing boat operators is not a bad idea but do you really think that will change anything? You're just going to have morons on the water who have a safe boating certificate.

I also think these courses/tests should be free. We pay enough taxes that support the states DNR's and if they are serious about boating safety and not just gouging more money offer the course free and make it easy to do. I don't mean easy questions but easy to get to and at times that people wouldn't have to take off work for instance.

So, nobody knows if the Coast Guard Safe Boating Course is acceptable to be legal?

And Nobody knows if Bruce F. and I are going to be legal in Kentucky?

IMHO, if the Coast Guard Certificates are not acceptable something is not Kosher and I believe the states just want to grab more money by charging for the tests and by citing boaters for non-compliance.

Uncle Billy

Uncle Billy, Unless you're under 18 you'll be legal in KY. The permit here only applies to watercraft operators 12 to 17 years old. Go back up and look at Waterwings link. Hutch

Memorial Day weekend of '05 the wife and I launched from Moors Marina. I should have known better because the "traffic" on the water and at the ramp was overwhelming. We went into a cove and anchored and tried to fish, but the pwc's decided they needed that piece of water also. We brought up the anchor and were idling out of the cove when a Water patrol boat came alongside for an inspection. 3 officers on that 1 boat. Got our first safety inspection and passed of course. I asked them about all of the pwc's/skiers and they stated there were too many of them to effectively control. Anyway, we don't go there on Memorial Day weekend anymore. We still like Moors though :)

In fishing Virginia / North Carolina, I have been stopped by a Game Warden 2 times in the 9 years that I fished in those two states. I fished 1994-2000 and 2003-2006 while stationed in the Norfolk Virginia area. Once was at the ramp on North Landing River, and once was on Kerr Resevoir while fishing the North Carolina half. Both were brief inspections, and then I was left alone. I did, however, get a "fix it" ticket from the Coast Gaurd before my new boat ever hit the water in 1997. I had pulled up to the city park boat ramp in Great Bridge, and a Coast Gaurdsman on foot walked up to me at the ramp, and asked if I would submit to a "courtesy inspection". It was a brand new boat, with all the proper equipment, so I said "sure". To which he promptly wrote me a fix-it citation (doesn't hold any water - just a "warning" that something was wrong) because my boat numbers matched the color of my pinstripes, and were not block style letters. He claimed they had to be 3" block, and be of a contrasting color, and since mine were custom, and matched part of my paint scheme, they were "illegal". I was Pissed! I had just paid quite a bit of money for those numbers, and were told they were legal. But... wanting to be in "full compliance", I removed those perfectly matched numbers, and put on some bland 3" block white letters.

During the 2000-2003 time frame, I fished Florida and Alabama, and was stopped by a Game Warden almost every time my boat hit the water. If I put in the Escambia River, I was gauranteed that there would be a Game Warden under the bridge, right past the launch ramp - checking licences, lights, life vest, etc.... It got to the point, after my first year there, I'd drive out the channel and be greated by a "Hey Glenn! Hows it going? I need to see your registration, etc...). I told them "don't you get tired of checking me - you know I'm legal". They said - "Well, it's out job, and we check everyone, everyday. We can't play favorites. So then I just kept everything they wanted to see in a little easy-to-reach pouch and handed it to them before they even asked for it. Got to be a regular part of the day.

In Alabama, there are boat licences. To operate one, you need to have a licence. It wasn't required for visiting boaters though, so it kind of killed the purpose.

I think all boaters should be licenced, and tested every couple of years. I also think all motorist on the highway should be retested every couple of years too. I havn't taken a test for a drivers licence since I got my first one at 15. That was 23 years ago. I'm sure I've forgotten some things I probably should know - but they assume that just because I've been driving this long, I know what I'm doing.

I took the online test at this website:

https://www.boaterexam.com/usa/exam/score.aspx?e=214205&d=19011969&b=208396&t=1

It is accepted in Virginia. I didn't study or look at the booklet, as I wanted to see what I already knew (and didn't know), and passed with an 86. The questions that I did miss - most all of them pertained to jet ski's. I did miss the one that asked when most accidents take place. I was so tempted to pick the correct answer - "daylight hours under calm conditions", but instead I picked "nightime and incliment weather". I went back and reviewed the questions that I did miss - something that not all people do. They just get the certificate, and they are happy with that. REVIEW WHAT YOU MISSED!!!!

All the best,

Glenn

Update - I called Allstate insurance, who I have my boat insurance through, and they gave me a $52 a year discount on my insurance because I faxed the certificate to them, proving I had taken the course. Since the certification doesn't expire, that means I paid $25 for the course / certificate, and receive $52 off my insurance per year from this point on. I'd say that's a pretty good deal! It took me about an hour of my time - well worth it. I learned a bit too.

All the best,

Glenn

Latest posts

Back