Back Surgery

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry Dufour

Reaction score
Morning Guys:

I have been having problems with my lower back for many years. I had to retire from work because both legs were getting numb. I hurt my back on active duty and the VA has scheduled the surgery for January 2012 in Houston. About a month ago, I really starting having sever legs pains. I went to see my Orthopaedic Surgeron here in Lafayette, La. and he told me that the nerves were probably being squeezed by a disc. I took a new MRI and he showed me the picture. He told me that was the biggest bulge he has ever seen. He immediately scheuled me for surgery tomorrow morning. They will do a lumbar decompresson to remove the bulge and some bone so that my nerves will be free again. Since I'm retired I'll just sit and watch tv for awhile. Hopefully the Saints and LSU will play great.

I couldn't go deer hunting this past fall because of the pain. Wish me luck!

Barry from Louisiana.

Good Luck Barry,....I'm sure you'll do fine!! God speed for a full and quick recovery!!

I'm sure you'll do better than where your at now.

Now get better so you can go fishin' this spring;)

Certainly sorry to hear that you are going through all of this. Hopefully, the procedures/surgery that they will be doing will provide you some relief.

Tex

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!! And seconds on the thanks for your service. To all who have served! Thanks!

Barry, had the same surgery (L4/L5) in 2007 at the VA in Augusta, GA and had great results. My advice to you.....don't do squat for 30 days! Don't be one of those guys that try to rush recovery or think you can do more than you are supposed to. I personally know several guys/soldiers with the same surgery that did too much too soon and they are still having issues. Best wishes for the surgery bro', and take it easy during recovery and thank you for your service!

JP

Son in law is in this business, decompression surgery is not that bad and there are not usually many complications with it. Best of luck.

Yea man good luck with that. I too have the L4 L5 thing going on. Had 6 or 7 Cortisone shots so far. Just trying to put off and cutting. My Nuro doc told me the same thing as you if they go in they will cut bone away or make the nerve opening bigger too. Been lucky with the last shot lasting a while (Thank God) That sciatic nerve pain is NO JOKE!

.........as I have had the surgery......and hip replacement...DO NOT SIT ON YOUR ASS....as tuff as the PT is...do it do it and do it more.....I sat too long on the back surgery...then forced myself to MOVE...and made a WORLD of difference.....

you should be fine....just push...

best fishes

bob szymakowski;)

Good luck and I hope everything works out for you with the surgery. Having come off a different surgery I know it's not fun. Listen to your doctors and don't push yourself too fast during recovery. Bill, the MadKayaker

Bill,...you still have the best scar though,...way cool!! :rolleyes: Glad you're feeling better and all is AOK,.....this xmas will be a GREAT one for you and your family I'm sure!!

Regards,

Mac

Mac, Toxic - you guys are too funny. I guess it is pretty gnarly but I would gladly trade the "chicks" and coolness to not have had the surgery and scar! Maybe I'd think differently if I had hair ;)

Happy Holidays to everyone - Bill, the MadKayaker

I had a Microdisectomy for a L5/S1 herniation in October. Prior to surgery, I was practically immobile due to the nerve compression causing sciatic pain. I couldn't even brush my teeth properly. After the surgery...

...it was worse. I woke up in horrid pain and spent two days on enough pain killers to take down a linebacker. I was bed ridden but...

Today I feel like I was never hurt! I have a few twinges here and there, and I can't go 100% yet, but I'm well on my way toward a full recovery. The biggest thing I can tell you is be patient. The nerves take a long time to decompress. Stay active but follow what your Physical Therapist/ Doctor tells you to do. If you go too fast, and reherniate before scar tissue can form to help hold the disc in place, you'll be back in surgery.

Too anyone on the edge of surgery or not, I was there too. It was worth it to me. I got my life back. Don't wait too long or you risk permanent nerve damage.

Best of luck in your recovery!!!

Latest posts

Back