Any Last Minute Reports on Kentucky Lake?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy Easterling

Reaction score
I leave early Saturday morning for Ky Lake for a week of fishing. Anyone fished it in the last week or two? I am taking the laptop but don't expect to be able to check in, the house doesn't even have a phone.

Dave Stewart's fishing report is usually correct

June 18, 2009

Kentucky Lake: Water Level at Ky Dam - 359.79 Surface Temperature - 80

Lake Barkley: Water Level at Barkley Dam - 359.75 Surface Temperature- 80

Both lakes a about one half foot over summer pool. Well, summer is definitely just about here. We had heat indexes over 100 yesterday and today and the forecast for tomorrow is for the same. The forecast for the weekend is highs in the low to mid 90's. I would like to remind everyone to check their coolers to make sure they have plenty of water and/or sport drinks with them as they venture on the lakes this summer. These heat indexes can drain you pretty quick unless you keep yourself hydrated. Despite the heat, the daytime fishing has been good this week for Largemouth Bass. The good ledge bite is continuing and on most days you can put quite a few fish in the boat. The ledges are loaded with a lot of smaller fish but there are good fish there too, you just have to wade through a lot of short fish sometimes to get the bigger fish active. In the past week we got into a number of feeding schools of 3 - 4 lbs fish on the ledges with an occasional 5 lbs in the mix. Sometimes these feeds only last a short period but it sure is fun while it lasts. The mayflies started hatching this week and these hatches should only get more numerous over the next few weeks. Panfish anglers are taking advantage of the hatches by catching good Bluegill and White Bass near the emerging hatches early in the morning and late in the evening. I have observed a number White Bass in the jumps around the mouths of the bays this week and on flats near the river channel on the main lake when current is being generated.

Largemouth Bass: Largemouth Bass are being taken on the old creek and river channel ledges on the main lake and around the mouths of the creeks and bays. These fish are being taken on deep diving crankbaits, Carolina rigged large worms and creature baits, Texas rigged large worms, jigs and big shakey head worms. Largemouth are also being taken on primary points and secondary points in the creeks and bays, especially early in the morning and late in the evening on crankbaits, Carolina rigged creature baits, Texas rigged large worms and jigs. Some Largemouth are also being taken around shallow vegetation on soft jerkbaits and frogs, especially early in the morning and late in the day.

Smallmouth Bass: Smallmouth Bass are being taken early and late in the day on primary points and main lake secondary points on crankbaits, jigs and tube jigs. Smallmouth are also being taken on the old creek and river channel ledges on Carolina rigged creature baits and jigs. I have had a number of reports of some nice Smallmouth being taken at night on Kentucky Lake by angles fishing chunk rock points and channel banks with dark colored spinnerbaits and tube jigs.

Some of the productive lures reported this week were: Zoom horny toad in green pumpkin/swirl and grey ghost, Jack's bubber frog in watermelon/red, Bomber fat free shad crankbaits in chartreuse shad, Rapala DT series deep diving crankbaits in green shad and parrot, MOAB custom painted DT20 crankbait in bluegill, Strike King crankbaits in sexy shad, Charmer 10.5" ribbon tail worms in plum and green pumpkin, Charmer timber dawgs and timber pups in plum, green pumpkin and watermelon/purple, Jewel football head jigs in gourd/craw and black/blue, D&L football head jigs in Herrington craw, Hook Some Bass tubes in chameleon craw and green pumpkin and Xcite 10.5" maximus worm (shaky head) in green pumpkin and plum.

White Bass: White Bass are being taken on the flats adjacent to the river and creek channel ledges as well as along the creek and river channel ledges by vertically fishing with inline spinners and small spoons. These fish are also being taken by trolling crankbaits with an inline spinner or spoon attached to a trailing leader. Some White Bass are also being taken early and late in the day near mayfly hatches where there are over hanging trees along the shoreline. These fish are taking curly tail small jigs, inline spinners and small spoons.

Bluegill: Bluegill are being taken along deep rocky creek channel banks and points on small jigs tipped with worms. Bluegill are also being taken around docks and overhanging trees where mayflys are hatching. These fish are being taken on crickets and worms fished under bobbers and small jigs tipped with worms.

Catfish: Catfish are being taken along the river channel ledges, especially during periods of current on bottom bouncing rigs and bottom rigs baited with large minnows and shrimp/leech combinations.

Field Test Report: I was contacted recently by the owner of Xcite Baits and was asked if I would like to field test their 10.5" maximus (basically a big shakey head worm) here on Kentucky/Barkley. This big shakey head worm has been very popular this season on the big fish Texas lakes and the owner wanted to see if these big shakey head worms would produce here on our lakes as well. Over the past two days my clients and I have tested some of these worms on the ledges here. We fished the maximus worms in plum and green pumpkin over the past two days using the Xcite 5/8 ounce X-lock shakey jig system (shakey head jigs). All I can say is I wish they had sent me more as the fish jumped all over these big shakey head worms. Although these worms are not yet being sold here locally, I expect you will soon see them showing up in some of the local tackle shops. I will let you know when I find out which tackle shops here will be carrying these worms. Here is the website for these worms: www.xcitebaits.com .

FLASH: Congratulations to Brandon Hunter for his win as the top co-angler in the recent FLW Tour tournament held here on Kentucky Lake last week. Brandon came to the scales with hefty 19lbs 11 oz bag of 5 fish in the final day to take a decisive victory over the rest of the co-angler field. Brandon is an employee at Fisherman's Headquarters tackle shop located in Draffenville. Next time you stop in there, shake his hand.

If you are in need of a bass guide for some fun bass fishing, tournament preparation, lake familiarization or technique instruction, don't hesitate to give me a call or drop me an email. Now is the time to take that instructional trip to learn how to fish the ledges. I offer a focused learning trip in which you will learn how to eliminate water to find the best ledges, set up on the ledges and the techniques used to fish them. I have the following dates available in June, July and August available for booking:

June: Sorry I am booked up

July: 21, 22, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31

August: Plenty of dates available....contact me for booking.

Now is the time to make your reservations for your fall fishing. Make your reservations now to ensure you can get the date(s) you want.

Capt Dave Stewart

Bass Buster Guide Service

[email protected]

www.kentuckylakeguide.com

270-354-5039

"Fish With a Professional"

Summer means ledge fishin';)

Also finessin' small worms can take some good fish around deeper ledges...just from past experience in June.

Latest posts

Back