Another rookie boating question for you water wizzards

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron Scott2

Reaction score
Father(40ish, okay 48) vs Son(20). Father(me :)) wants Bass boat. Son would rather have fish and ski boat.

The fish/ski boats I saw at the boat show all looked to me like ski boats first, fishing boats second.

Have you, would you, pull skis with your boat?

You could pull skiers, but why would you want too. I think you will find a better resale down the road with a Bass boat. Who's paying for this thing? That would be a big factor in my decission.

HP

Tell son (20) that for the short time he as left living in your household he can waterski out of your bassboat providing he brings the required bikini clad observer.LOL

fatrap:D

Bass Boat, you can always buy a ski pole that fits into the back pedestal seat hole to pull skiers.

HP,

He is not being a pain about it , is a great kid and fishing partner. I am just wondering how the bass boats(properly powered of course) would be on that occasion you might want to play around on the water.

Mine has doubled as a ski boat for years. Stay with the highest hp you can afford and get a different pitched prop and you'll be good as gold.

fatrap

Fatrap, that 90hp of yours does ok? By the way, the bikini clad observer that would be with my son IS A KNOCK OUT. Nick, (my son) if you view this I'm talking about your mother.:D

Get the DC bass boat, $200 ski tow pole/pylon, a second SS prop with a lower pitch to YANK them up on the skis, and off you go!!

I bought the Nitro 189 Sport for that reason, I wanted my family to enjoy the boat for skiing and swimming as well as being able to fish. It does both just fine for me and my kids and g-kids even live in other states. :)

I'm with JDJ, I have a champion bass boat and now getting a 06 189 Sport, resale would be the farthest thing from my mind, cuz you don;t buy boats to invest, they are a bad investment, I looked at the Triton f/s and new it was 35k loaded, a left over in Kentucky that I was interested in was 26...........bad investment, but hey, I'm stupid that swhy I buy new boats and vehicles, cuz I like to. Nothing wrong with a f/s

Arron

Yes I went to, I believe a 17 pitch prop, and it does fine with an observer sitting on the cusions on the front deck(mine has snap on cushions) to help keep the bow down on take off. If the skiier is really big and doesn't know how to get up on skiis it take's a little doing. The ski prop doubles as my spare but would probably redline the engine if I went to wide open throttle.

My little 16 foot Lowe Bass Pro had a 50 hp Chrylser and I pulled my brother in law. He looks a lot like Jabba the Hut.

fatrap

PS You did note I said get the biggest engine you can afford.

[
My little 16 foot Lowe Bass Pro had a 50 hp Chrylser and I pulled my brother in law. He looks a lot like Jabba the Hut.

fatrap

Now that is a funny!

I have a Nitro F/S and love it. Can haul more folks if needed to play around and can do some serious fishing (not catching):D also.

Jeff

had a stratos fish and ski...went to a nitro 929... no comparison...go with the bass boat.

F/S never has enough room for the fishing stuff. Every time u want to ski u have to unload all the rods and tackle which sucks. With the bass boat everything is under lock and key...just throw in a ski pole and away u go...just me .02

RW

This decision really depends on your typical usage. I have a 188 Sport and it has been a great boat. I do use it with the family for afternoon tubing and swimming adventures but use it more often for fishing. I am now at the point where I would prefer a bass boat and make it work for the tubing and other recreational activities.

As usual, thanks for all the info. Looks like a bass boat for me that can pull a tuber or Jabba the Hut.

How fast does Nick want to ski? When the weather warms up we could throw him behind the Champion, at 60mph I bet he can make a huge splash...............

Bruce

arron i got a sport 288 and i use it for tournament fishing and all around play.i love it its my second one in 4 years.its got more storage room then any bass boat out there,plenty of rod storage,i keep 12 rods aboard always and the skis and wakeboardare all outta the way in the floor.i like to party down the river on day cruises i dont know about you.try imagining a 21 foot bass boat trying to haul 7 women,lol.alotta people at last weekends tournament wished they had my boat when we got into 4 and 5 foot breakers, especially the 2 that sunk.the windshield is nice to in the cold running and in hard pelting rain.

Aaron, My Ranger is a Bass boat first and a ski boat second. The Ranger and Triton are in my opinon the only two F/S that are set up that way, the rest have little front decks. The front deck on mine is bigger then the Ranger 188VS.

Cass

You don't need a big front deck when fishing with one person on the front, I have a huge front deck on my Champ and really I never needed it........rod storage really isn't a factor anymore on just about all new boats, I also looked at the Ranger Reatta, and they reall didn't have any rod storage which is no big deal cuz you can make your own

Latest posts

Back