A little romp....bring on the beer, crabs and Smithsonian!!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill McElroy

Reaction score
My wife and I are heading to Wash.DC tonite for a nice long weekend. My brother owns a townhouse in Alexandria, so we're staying there for 4 days.....gonna be a riot!! We're going to visit the Smithsonian, The War memorials, Air and Space Museum (At Dulles on sunday), and the USNA in Annapolis. He graduated from there in 1977, and I haven't been back there since then,....Kathy's never been there at all, so she'll love watching some formations, seeing 4000 studs in starched white uniforms, etc. Thursday night he's taking us to a restaurant by the Capitol where all the playa's hang out, so we may be rubbing elbows with all kinds of officials. He's taking Friday off, and so are both of his daughters,(they're 26 and 28, and both live close by) so we'll all enjoy hanging out and taking in some beer, and crabs and general east coast hedonism!! Saturday night, we're hooking up with Tox and his wife, and we'll all go into Georgetown for dinner and bar hopping. We'll celebrate my sister in law's 50th b-day and mine and Kathy's 25th anniversary! What a blast this is going to be.....I can't wait to get out of here and get my mind off of work for awhile.

I can't thank Carlos enough for the FF Tickets, and Toxic for making arrangements to join us Saturday. My brother and Toxic have never met, so this is going to be a GREAT time!!

I'll post a nice report and some pix's when we get back....we fly out at 730 tonite and come back to Detroit, Sunday about 7pm. Ya'll be good while I'm gone......I don't want to have to make Mini put the smack down on anyone!!

Tox,......please leave that plaid skirt at home..docker's or jeans are fine for Saturday!;):rolleyes:

Mac

Mac, relax and enjoy. You been under alot of stress with the job thing lately. Have a great time.

Bubby:)

What are FF tix? She won't see studs at Annapolis ... maybe a few who will end up marines, but not 4000 of them ...:lol::wacko::lol::wacko::lol:

Have a great time!

sounds like a great time....

enjoy!

my 20 year wedding anniversary is today!

Mac...please check your email...

az

Marty,...FF Tix = "Frequent Flyer" aka "Freebies";) I stand corrected on the "studs" comment...I am slightly biased 'cuz my brother was commissioned into the USMC after graduation too!!

Andy,..I'll check it in a few and get back to you.....thnx!

Wow good news for you Mac!

Happy Anniversary, tell your sis HBD and smack your bro and Tox for me.

Is Carlos not going to be there? Knowing him he is TDY.

I promise not to stick all the fish while you are gone :) Ok I lied.

If you get by Arlington National, say hi to my Dad :wub:

Mini

Happy Anniversary to you and Kathy. Tell her I said hi. Enjoy your trip and don't think about your job at all! I sure hope you get to rub elbows with Obama. You need a little stimulus package. :D

LOL....Yeah, Mini,..C3 is in Okinawa....will miss him for sure, but Tox's antics will make up for it I'm sure!! I don't know if we'll get over to Arlington, but if it's not raining (the wxtr looks shakey at best) we might go see a "changing of the guards". We really don't have any set schedule,(just Friday and Sat.pm so far) so weather will play a roll for sure!

Teri,..I'll deffinitely pass along your wishes,..she's been fired up about your finishes in the WBT..we're both really stoked about that!! Maybe she can come over to the cottage on Harsen's one night and we'll all "throw a few back"....she'll be happy to see you again!

Don't rub elbows too close with any politicians. I wouldn't want you to catch stupidity. :) In fact take Mini and let him put the smack down on a few of them! Have a great time and Happy Anniversary! My wife bought me an expensive guitar for our 25th, what's your's getting you? ;)

Gene

Gene,...with 2 kids in college, I'll be lucky (but happy too, I might add) to get a card and a 6pk!! LOL Besides, I already told her, until this job situation settles down...please DON'T spend any $$ on gifts...we can revisit that option later!! She was cool w/that!!;):wub:

Mac.....I'll alert the Media!!:lol::lol::lol:

So far so good, no calls yet for me to deploy, of course they always wait until Thursday night for a Friday operation then I gotta scramble to get cross country!! Fingers crossed we'll see you Saturday night at the condo. CIII was bummed he had to be TAD. I'll make the wife drive home so I can hang tough with the McElroy brothers!!:p

TOXIC

Oh man,......you can bet we'll all be ripe for the pickin' sat. pm!! LOL :blink::wacko::rolleyes:

Y'all travel safe and be good......well,....at least travel safe!! :lol::D

Mac, you and Momma leave all your cares and concerns at the house and have fun, fun, fun!! Then again, with Hammer in tow, it's not like you have a choice!! :lol:;):lol:

Tox,...you have the swine flu....you cannot go anywhere this weekend....except to Georgetown!! You BETTER be there!!:angry::cool::cool:

You guys be careful and watch for all the "fools" of the road.

Stay safe and lookin' foward to my Topo stickers:cool:

Tee,..I'll be droppin' them off at the post office today on my way outa town!!;) You'll probably get'em Friday.;)

Mac,

If you do get to the Corps Memorial say one for me... I cannot describe the feeling it causes... But, it sure did feed my soul...

DC is a wonderful place to visit, as long as you don't overstay your welcome, like our elected officials.

Have a great time!

Hope you all have a good time. Don't forget the WWII Memorial - awe inspiring.

BTW, for really good crabcakes in DC, you need to check out Oceanaire in the Penn Quarter area. REALLY awesome - although fair warning, the prices are a bit high (typical DC).

mac,

you will love the uday hazy air and space museum, its really cool.

as for toxic, hopefully hes in town,

have a great time.

mike c

He's on his own for eats, he is going out with his brother. I would have taken him to Old Ebbits for some oysters on the half, but he is going to Annapolis as well and I told him to get a couple oyster shooters for me.

TOXIC

greetings from Okinawa!!

have fun ya suckers! Sorry I am not able to play...

Enjoy and stay away from 16th street.....

Hey Carlos... There is a particular porcelain appliance that I made friends with on Oki a long, long, time ago.. Say his to it if you happen to pass by one with my initials carved in the floor... :lol:

Man I'm, sorry I didn't see this sooner! The good plan, if you wanted good crabs, would have been to visit the Naval Academy and when you left there go down Riva Road about

2 1/2 miles to Mikes Crab House on South River! I could have met you there for some good eatin'. It would have been easy too. Leave the Academy, take rt. 50 west until you see the Riva Rd. Exit.

No offense Texas but nobody but tourists eat at any Phillips Rest. Maybe Steve Rizza will chime in? He and I and Little Stevie went to Mikes when he visited. I think he liked it?:D

Jim C. is a good friend of mine but the best crabcakes in Maryland are at Edgewater Restaurant, about 1/4 miles from my house and you could take the rt #2 exit instead of Riva rd and it would be the same distance, about 3 - 4 miles from the academy. And they aren't expensive. No hard crabs there though, just the best cakes you can buy, either fried or broiled jumbo lump. Remember, whatever seafood is in D.C. today was in Annapolis yesterday:rolleyes:

Good grief, if you leave the Academy and then drive back to D.C. instead of staying in the Annapolis, Edgewater, Riva area to eat seafood, it would almost be a sin:rolleyes:

Ask your brother about Mikes Crab House on South River because he should remember it. It has been where it is long before he went to the Academy.

We always thought the Academy was where young guys went to train to be Good Humor Ice Cream Truck drivers?? Because of the white suits! Chuckle, Chuckle..

One of the best things to do while growing up around the Academy was when they graduated and threw their hats in the air. Before they had the ceremony at the football stadium. We, as 14 - 15 year old could always grab a couple of hats and take off. Never got caught either, those guys didn't care about those hats. The year Staubach graduated my best friend and I got four hats. We then went into Reads Drug store on Main St and bought a marker and printed R. Staubach on the inside band. We sold all four for $25.00 each:p

Geeez, I feel bad:lol:

Well like I said, I wish I had known you were coming Mac. I know you're on a tight schedule but eating some good crabs and meeting you and your family would have been fun.

Uncle Billy

Ps: Happy Anniversary to you and Andy Z! Those numbers are quite an accomplishment in this day and age..

No offense taken Uncle Billy. I figured if Mac was in DC, I'd point him to one of the more reliable places I've been. I agree that closer to the source is better.

BTW - when are we fishing???? (Ping me off line so as not to hijack Mac's thread!).

16th street? does that mean I should go there? lol

Mini - only if you want to get beat up by guys in dark suits with sunglasses and ear pieces!

HAHAH Mini, you mayyy fit in, but can get dicey! (see Jims comment) HAHAH

Greg, nada so far, but I avoiding the view...hahahahahahhaah

Unc,...That's exactly where we went for Crabs!!...We chowed down BIGTIME at Mike's Crab House in Riva!!:wub: It was AWEESOME!!! We gotta couple cool t-shirts there too...my brother goes there all the time when he goes back to the Academy for football games.

That was my wife's first experience with crab's and hammers and all the work that's involved...she loved it. Her t-shirt has a giant crab on the back and it says: "I got hammered at Mike's!"..LOL.....mine has a big basket of crab's on the back and it says: "Basket Case". Both of them have "Mikes Crab House", Riva, MD. on the front. We had a riot there.....what a great way to spend the day!! I was surprised how much of it I remembered since I was last there in 1977. I also forgot a lot too!!:blink::wacko:

That was a helluva good time....surprising how fast 4 days goes by when you're busy all the time!!

Mike C,...the museum was incredible!!...I took a bunch of pix's in there..loved that place!

Jim C,...you're right,...the WWII memorial was awesome....we spent an hour there just looking at the carvings in the walls!! Unbelievable!!;)

Anybody who's ever planning on going to DC...go during the week...crowds were thin and we went everywhere by the metro subway...fast, clean, cheap and convenient!! Loved it!!

Like I said before, I wish I'd of known you were going to be there.. When you look out the window at Mike's and look right you'll see the RT# 2 bridge. The first creek just past that bridge on the right is Warehouse Cr. and that's where I live. I grew up in Riva.

Mike used to have a shed and gas pumps at the end of his pier and I worked there when I was 13-14 yrs. old selling bait and motor oil and renting everything else.

The next time you're down this way I'll show you how to throw the mallets away and do it

right. Heck, you can order the knives you need at the URL I've included. They're the only way to go!

Glad you had a great time!!

Uncle Billy
http://www.marylanddelivered.com/seasonings.htm#Crab Knives & Oyster Knives

Sorry I missed you guys! I was doing Curry instead of crabs...crabs are bettter toooooo!!!!!

Home tomorrow, looking forward to the 22 hours to get home...NOT!

Va here I come!

Tanks Mini, hope it is uneventful. Sue picks me up from the airport for this trip, and i am looking forward to that!

22 hours on a plane....hope you didn't eat Mexican!

Latest posts

Back