A litle fish blood for the new boat

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Stern

Reaction score
Jeanne and I got out for a few hours this morning and pulled in a couple of spots to christen the new boat. Here's Jeanne with the first catch. I landed this guy's daddy a few minutes later, but he was gut hooked, so we spared him the indignity of a photo.

christened.jpg

And, as promised, a few pics of the new rig, which has been un-officially dubbed "Scooter":

Hawk 1.jpg

Hawk 5.jpg

Hawk 2.jpg

Nice boat Rich. I never thought I would see the day that you would be in a tin boat.

How does it do for the Need for Speed:cool:

John

That is a very nice looking rig Rich...

Lets see... you need: 1.A bow mount depth finder; 2. Those downriggers 3. Rod holders 4. (How are you fixed for)Rod Storage; 5. Satellite Radio; 6. Electronics; 7. A kicker motor for trolling; 8. Swim Ladder; 9. bimini; 10. (How are you fixed for) Anchors?; 11. A few "zig/zag" rope cleats for tie offs and anchors; 12. Flat Boat Bumpers; 13. Spare tire for the trailer; What Else folks?:rolleyes:

Welcome to the tin side, glad to have you to class us up a little. Nice looking rig, she looks like it should give you a nice dry ride.

I have thought about getting a deeper boat like that, but I don't want any of my friends to see me in a "walleye" boat.;)

Steve

Thanks for the compliments, fellas. I am really pleased with the boat and motor so far.

Greg, I added two Attwood flush mounts and their pro style rod holders. They work nicely. As for all the rest of that gear...we'll see. Trying to pace myself. :)

John, she goes about 42 according to my GPS, but after driving her for a couple of hours, I still don't feel like I know her yet. The trim range is much more limited than my last boat, and I haven't quite figured out the sweet spot. Hole shot is good. It's a different feeling than a traditional bass hull. I do think she'll benefit from a 4 blade prop; need to get with Pat G. about that.

The ride quality is terrific. Soft. I'm sure I could go find a wake or a wind-swept lake that will beat me up, but in the chop we were in a couple of weeks ago, and the few wakes we hit today, it's a really comfortable ride with no banging or crashing. That's without much seat time. It's also nice to be able to talk at fairly normal tones while crusing and the engine running 4000 rpm.

We have been pleased with how easy it is to fish and how comfortable we feel in the boat. We like the layout, the features and, so far, haven't found anything to complain about (except it won't go 70 mph). I was concerned about the amount of storage, but I am finding that with just a bit of efficiency, I have room for all of my gear. Because I can park it in the garage, I can leave things like my trolling rods and fish finder aboard instead of constantly hauling them in and out of the boat (a big pet peeve of mine).

It's a big depature from a fiberglass fish and ski, but so far, a very pleasant one.

Rich, tend to be a bit heavy on the bow down trik when you hit some rougher waves... Try pushing the bow down... You lose some speed but it makes a tin boat ride a bit better to be heavier on the nose than in glass...:cool:

Tin Rules!:cool:

I see some customization coming there Mr. Stern...nice lookin' rig and welcome back to tin.

That baby will be right at home even around the islands at the Big E;)

Besides I still say you glass lovers are jealous of the SS Tracker:p

Who needs to dazzle em' with sparkles when you can just blind em' with shiny tin:lol:

Hey Rich, where do you live that you don't need registration numbers on your beautiful boat? I don't see any, up here I'd get nailed the first time out without them

I don't know about where Rich lives but in Louisiana u have to send in a registration form and the state will send u a registration and a sticker...then u go out and get your numbers. In the mean time u carry the registration form copy in the boat and u are good to go. Takes about 6 weeks to get your card with the numbers on it and the sticker. Oh yea...nice boat Rich...enjoy!

RW

I get it RW. Here you get temp stickers to put on your boat until you get the papers with numbers

Mike - RW is right, you have to fill out th eform and mail it in, and it can take like 60 days or so, so they give you a tear off part of the form with a # that matches your submitted form, so they can check if they don't believe you, and then you get the #'s in the mail.

Rich - TOTALY Sweet!! Great looking boat, better looking wife, and perfect she fits in the garage. I'm about to cry, as i've not seen the Nitro for going on a week!!!

Can't wait to find a day for the 2 of us to get out and get me casting off that rear deck!!

Trep

She's real pretty Rich........and the boat is nice look'n to !

My first boat was a Fisher. Bought it for a real good price new and turned around and sold it to my best friend for what I had in it. Then bought the Nitro 170 TF.

Mark:rolleyes:

Look what I found searching for "fish finder"....I believe I was in Las Vegas about the time you posted this so I totally missed it. Nice looking tin, Rich. I just couldn't do it. Hopefully you are comfortable with it by now. I can totally relate to what a pain it is to haul all of your stuff in and out of the boat. Hate it!!! I am going to miss the space in the fish and ski but I think I'm going to love leaving my stuff in the boat. Congrats!

Teri, thanks. We've really been enjoying the boat.

Hope you enjoy yours, too!

Latest posts

Back