901, or 882????

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric Paugh

Reaction score
I am definetley buying a new Nitro this year. The tracker is biteing the dust and I earned a new fiberglass boat. I am looking at either NX882 with 175 opti, or the 901CDX with the 200EFI. And yes you can still get the EFI I work at BPS part time, the sales manager assured me this. 2005 is the last year on the motor. He just doesn't have all the answers to my questions that I need, I really am doubtfull about the storage on the 882, doesnt look like it would be enough for me, as well as the width of the boat, but I know the 18footer with a 175max will scream. I do like the storage on the 901cdx, but I wasn't sure of performance loss due to the greeatly increased size and weight with only another 25hp. I also cannot afford, the Optimax on the 901cdx. The other thing I have heard is that the 901 has alot more chine walk in it than the 882. To be honest I think I would like the 882 better but I am so not sure about lack of storage. It has less then my tracker 185 does, and that would hurt. Anyone have suggestions, as well as performance facts for 882 with 175 optimax, and the 901 with a 200 EFI.. And also going to the 175optimax will definetly save me money on fuel in the long run I know but is it worth the smaller boat???? HELP ME???? I must order in next two weeks to have it by spring...

If it was me,, I would go for the 901, just seems like allot more boat and you'll also be getting a bigger outboard.

EJP the 901 has only 1 cubic foot more storage then the 882 does, that is at least what nitro specs it as. 46 for the 882 and 47 for the 901. in reality thats not a lot of space.

There is no way the 882 has less storage then a tracker 185, the lockers are much bigger, the one front comparment on the 882 is bigger then both the fronts on the 185. The 882 also has the two big rear compartments and one under the drivers seat plus a cooler. Having a friend who has a 185 and owning an 882 myself i can say without a doubt the 882 has way more storage.

EJP,

when i bought my 882 last spring i also looked at the PT185.

there is no comparison in storage space, i keep ten rods, two tackle boxes, kids fishing gear, 4 life jackets and a bunch of loose tackle like senko bags(just can't have enough), two bumpers, three ropes and i am sure some more stuff.

i still have not filled all the storage compartments. the 882 is a great boat. the 82" beam makes it very stable and add a 175 opti all i can say yehaa!!

on the other hand the 901 would probably be my next purchase in 5 or so years. but for now the i am very happy with the storage and fishability of the 882.

GregD

pat good questions, that is why you are the man when it comes to set ups..

GregD

Shameless plug to follow:

Eric, I have a 896 that is Potomac River ready for sale. Much less then the 989/901! I will also delever it to you!

Carlos

PS the 898 is one NICE boat man. Have a buddy that has one! Looks nice.

I have had a 2003 901 w/ a 200 EFI. This past season, I had a 2004 901 w/ a 200 Optimax. I also have a 2001 882 w/ a 150 EFI.

None of these boats have had any chinewalking problem. As far as bass boats go, they are a cupcake to drive. With that said, I would wager that an 882 with a 175 Opti would walk somewhat. A 901 with a 200 EFI will NOT chinewalk.

My 901/200EFI ran max 65-67 mph GPS. My 901/200 Opti ran 67-70.4 mph GPS. I have observed speeds of 60-64 mph GPS with the 882/150EFI. I think you can expect to see 67-68 mph with the 882/175 Opti.

As far as storage goes, there is no way that your Tracker 185 has more storage than an 882. Check the Nitro and Tracker websites for more info.

I think you need to consider the questions that Pat asked above. I still use my 882 in tournaments where I am fishing smaller creeks that would be very difficult to enter with a 901.

EJP, listen to what Pat is saying. Give SERIOUS consideration to the 898 with either 200 or 225 Opti. That package will give you all the speed you'd ever need, ton's of storage, and a 20' boat for big, nasty water.

Craig

If anyone is interested there is a guy on fishingworld.com with a certificate for a 898 for $22,000.

Latest posts

Back