115 Opti. runs "TO COOL" [Bob]

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

judgerr

Reaction score
Got 7 hrs on the Motor now. Started launching at a Marina where it takes about 8 min to get out of the "no wake area". I kept getting a "Beep" Manual says "not getting to normal operating temp, see dealer"! I called dealer and they said take it to any authhorized Mercury dealer. Anyhow after a week I get it back, they changed the thermostat and cleaned teh poppet valve. Tried it out and still getting the "Beep. Hhorn sounds after 5 min 26 seconds. Timed it twice today with stop watch. Water coming out of engine is barely warmer than the lake water. If I was launching elsewhere I would not have even noticed it. But I rented a boat slip at this marina.

Any one else having this problem? Is it really such a problem. What else is there to change besides the thermostat?

Bob If you see this I know you always need the serial No. so here it is, It's a 115 Optimax (NOT the XS) 1B869030

Marina says "Bring it back and they will check it out" I need it ready to go in two weeks for a family trip to Minnesota with my sons and their families.

Thanks for any ideas!:(

When it's about to set the buzzer off, maybe try popping it into neutral, push the button in on the the throttle lever and give it a couple of revs, may just warm it up enough for you.

A bad day fishing beats a good day workin!

A simple scan with the CDS will verify proper pressures, temps, etc. I would take it to a dealer that KNOWS how to read the info provided from the computer, and analyze it. If can get the printout, I'd be happy to look it over for you.

I will try to get the read out for you. Don't know if they will give it or not. What are the consequences of running it this way? Like I said had, I not launched here I would never have known. Not to many times you have to idle so long to get out of "no wake area". They did mention computer said it was running at 90 degrees.

They plan to contact Mercury about it. Had work done here on my old boat and they seemed pretty sharp!

This is a new motor, am I the only one having this problem? Or are there others who never find it out, because they don't ever idle that long? It's just one Beep and that's it. Don't know if it would go off again in another 5 min or so. Frustrating!

Thanks

Bob

at what rpm do you get the warning ?

ik had the same with a 150hp optimax and @about 2000 rpm the poppets woudld open , and flood the engine with cold water , the motor is not working hard at that time so it wil cool down to much .

so you could try staying under that rpm and the engine will get warm .

if you don't heat it up and you open it up , you will risk could seisure .

It is happening at idle, trying to get out of the "no wake zone. One beep according to the manual "engine not getting to normal operating temp below 1,000rpam.

Back in shop now maybe they will find the problem!

Well, beginning to think i should have bought used. Bought my last boat when it was 4 yrs old, ran it 12 yrs and never had as much lost fishing time due to the boat.

Took it back to the dealer and they called Merc. they said to change the Poppet valve some were machined wrong. They got the part yesterday and changed it,still no good. Called Merc again, Now they say change the gasket. Waiting for parts again. Supposed to be in Tuesday. It's been in the shop now 15 out of the last 20 days:angry:

Supposed to leave on fishing trip to Minnesota a week from today. They said they got temp up to 120 degrees now. I guess if the gasket don't work I will just take it and use it. This trip has been planned for two years. Had to wait for my son to get back from overseas. He's a Gunnery Sgt. USMC.

I bought new "not" to have problems. So much for that idea!! Am I the ONLY one having this much trouble??:(

Wow! I guess it is just bobby and I who have had this problem. That sounds like my luck for sure. Hope the gasket fixes it, but at this point I'm not to confident. I think they don't know what to do at this point.:angry:

Latest posts

Back