yamaha 4stk / 115 trouble

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Jaworski

Reaction score
Hi all,

My father put some stabil in his fuel tank, probably too much. He put his boat in the water and within 5 minutes he started having trouble with it. The motor is a 2004 and purred like a kitten prior to the stabil. Is there any kind of additive that will break that stuff up, or will he have to drain the tank? Has anyone else had any trouble with 4 stroke and stabil. I put it in mine and I have had no trouble but mine is a 2 stroke.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

You would have to put a Wholllllleeeee bunch of it in to make a difference like that. How much did he add to how much fuel?

TOXIC

Tox,

Question I ran Stabil all my past carbed 2 strokes, my new ride will have 150 OPTI, can I run stabil in it?

He only put 16 oz in the tank and it had 40 gallons of gas. thats the right mixture so I dont know what to tell him??????????????????????? Hes in Fla and I cant help him out.

Thanks Toxic

You can tell him it's not the sta-bil. I would say the stabil loosened up some crud or maybe he had a plug foul. Bob B????? I'm not a mechanic but I run sta-bil in my tanks and other than a little more smoke (who can tell with my Merc...it's a fogger!!LOL!!), I never had a performance issue.

Brian, I think you can but I would run the Merc stabilizer just to be sure.

TOXIC

brian,did your dad run the engine after running the stabilt?most people think they can just dump it in and it will be fine. not.if it wasnt ran then the carbs are probably clogged enough to make it run like crap.

guys it is a four stroke 115 yammi. that thing is fuel injected.

i have the same thing in a merc wich has a yammi power head on it.

yes you can run stable in it. there is somthing else going on there. the plugs dont foul because there is no oil to foul them.

if he is in fla why did he put stable in??

try to run it out. you say there is fourty gallons in the tank? next yr have him run the tank down to almost empty. then he can top it off with new fuel and he shouldnt have any trouble.

have him try to run it clean, maybe one of the injectors has some junk in it.

GregD

He put Stabil in because they Live in NY part of the year and Fla for part of the year. So the boat sits for a few months. He is going to pull the plugs today and then try to run the tank down. I also suggested the portable tank to him. Ill let you all know what he finds out today. Thanks for all of the input.

Mark

Problem Resolved,

After changing the plugs, they were black. The motor fired up but then quickly died again showing symptoms of flooding. IE gas in the water. He pulled the cowling again and tried to start it noticing that one of the fuel lines was cracked. So the engine was starving not flooding, The presence of the fuel in the water made him initialy think it was the flooding problem. Hes a happy boater now!!!

Mark

Back