xr6 150 - nx882 help

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xerxes Vang

Reaction score
So I have a 2000 nitro nx882 with a 150 xr6 on it.

2 weeks ago i let the boat sit for a week. took it out the following week and my holeshot is slow and getting on plane felt like i had a full tourney load and full livewells. when i eventually got on plane i wasnt able to get above 5k rom. i can usually get to 5800 rpm but now i can bareley get past the 4900 mark.

i let it sit again for a few days.

took it out yesterday and 1st run wot i was still slow and rpm was down to get on plane. but when i did get on plane i did manage to hit rpms of at least 5800...

let it sit for about 30 minutes and tried my 2nd run on wot. hole shot was slow and wasnt able to get above 5k rpm again. i ran for about 2 minutes then the buzzer alarm came on from under the dash (not the motor alarm).

I shut the motor off and start trolling back to the launch (over 1 1/2 miles) and in between times checked to see if the buzzer would go off. and it would never shut off.

So basically everytime I turned the kay to the on position you can hear the beeps from under the dash. it just beeps with a normal pause and doesnt change.

can someone tell me why i am experiencing rpm loss? could it be the water pump or impeller? my pee hole also pisses out hot water. is that okay on the xr6?

and can someone tell me how to get that damn alarm to shut off?

It's time for a Tech to have a look see. The basics are in order starting with electricals. The first "operation" I would do is to plug in a remote harness and see if the alarm "stops". If so, look to the key switch, harness {the motor alarm is in the harness} for a potential problem. If it doesn't stop, the Tech can begin motor diagnostics. I have seen faulty stators cause this issue. There are a series of tests for the trigger, stator, cdm's and modules. Check here first.

The tell-tail can be a dribble to a scalding hot stream and anywhere in between for that engine. If the pump, therms and poppet have not been serviced in awhile, it is time regardless. :blink:

Mrbago

For what it is worth, I had the same issue last year, alarm was constatly beeping, always thing the worse lol, had cooling system and oil system checked out. All ok, it was suggested that I change out the alarm under the dash. It was a quick job, only had to change out the terminal ends on the new one to match the old one. (plug in)finally found it tucked in a mesh sock under the dash. Changed it out and no more problem. Must have been shorting out internally or something. Mine was also xr6 (2005)

So I brought it in to the dealer. Was trying to avoid that. But after looking at the post about low oil I just remembered when I took off the cowling to look at the oil tank it was only half full. Didn't get a change to try to loose cap method to get air out. Would that have anyting to do with it running bad?

Jim. I hope that's just the case but where did you buy a new alarm from?

If your oil tank is only half-full, it will trigger the alarm. The question would be as to WHY it is only half-full. Did you run out of oil? Is there a ptential air leak causing a pressure breach and subsequent motor mounted tank not being fed? Bad check valve from crankcase or 2psi vent check. It may be as simple as not tightening the 3 gallon remote tank caps......

EDIT: You also may have TWO issues going on. Hopefully, the rpm loss is not because of an oiling issue. You did the right thing by taking it to the Dealer. ;)

Im not sure why it was only half full. I did have oil in my main oil tank though. I wished I would done this yesterday before I brought her in.

I had alge block the pick up tube in the main tank. Chased the alarm for months before I found the suggestion here to check the pick up screen.

BF

"So I brought it in to the dealer. Was trying to avoid that. But after looking at the post about low oil I just remembered when I took off the cowling to look at the oil tank it was only half full. Didn't get a change to try to loose cap method to get air out. Would that have anyting to do with it running bad?"

"Im not sure why it was only half full. I did have oil in my main oil tank though. I wished I would done this yesterday before I brought her in."

mrbago, I believe the tank under the cowling is the main oil tank. This is where the engine draws the oil from. The other tank, in a storage compartment, is an Aux tank. It is used to fill/top off the engine mounted tank.

So I brought it to the shop. Im having him drain the carbs for debris to see if that may be a cheap resolution. But im thinking this is a coil issue. Are there any write ups to do this yourself? And how much do they run and where can I buy them? And how many coils are there for this motor? 6?

Latest posts

Back