Women's Bassmaster entry decision

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
Just got an email from BASS. There are more co-anglers registered than anglers which means the last co-anglers to register won't get to fish. If you don't fish the first one, you can't qualify for the last event. You have to fish all of them. Since I registered in February, I am most likely going to be cut. I sent an email and asked. Seems like they aren't allowed to say until registration is over which is this Friday.

So, what you do think? Should I just forget the idea all together? I was really jazzed up about this so I don't like that idea.

Do I switch over, pay more money and register as a pro to fish? If I do this, I will have to fish all other events as a pro. Keep in mind I have a 17 foot boat with a 115 motor. Not sure this boat will "cut it" compared to what they all fish with. My plan was to upgrade if I decided to fish as a pro next year.

I've already spent alot of time and some money getting all the equipment ready for this event. Ideally, I would have liked to learn the ropes this year as a co-angler but not sure that is going to happen. My fault for registering late but I didn't read about it until Kim Bain was on the coverage of Bassmasters a few months ago.

I could always bite the bullet and upgrade my boat but seems that would have to happen before I had a chance to sell the one I have. I have the cash but not sure that is a smart move in this economy.

Thoughts?

Teri,

Consider this... Option of going pro side means a lot of commitment and expense. Sticking it out this year and (maybe/probably) next year as a Co will require far less commitment. (it will also give you the experience and perspective to evaluate your options of going pro) Even if you do not make the cut on paper, you could travel and prefish. And, stick around, if a registered Co does not show up... Well you get to fill in. That happens quite a bit in the FLW on the Co side. Almost every tournament they are looking for Cos to pair up.

Only you can make the call based on your situation, but here are some nuggets to chew upon ...

1. As a pro you will be responsible [or at least appear to be] responsible for the backseater. Are you ready for that? Backseaters will have an expectation.

2. During the BASS event I fished in Mark Menendez fished in an aluminum boat with a small engine. i also noted that when the big motors shut off, all the boats were basically the same.

Worst case scenario...

If you upgrade your rig and hone your skills this year (aka.Dale,St.Clair,K&B and numerous others)...you can get in early for next year.

One step at a time;)

I'm sure Mac or Mini can help :cool:

Just hang tite.....it's always "crowded" at the beginning of the season......soon, some folks will drop out (on both sides) and they'll have room for you. Don't jump in as a pro yet.....see what it's like as a "co" first......much less expensive and a whole lot easier to walk away if you decide it's not your bag. Remember..to a Pro..it's their "job" and to a "co" it's a fun weekend. HUGE difference in the attitude and preparation's required for each! Keep it FUN for now......they'll call you!!;)

If you have the time and lots of money to throw around make the jump! If you would rather have fun, save some money and push the gray hairs off for a few more years then stay as a co-angler. I have heard that the easiest way to make a million dollars from fishing is to start with two million!

Now I am being honest here, please dont get mad at me......I would say after meeting you and seeing your level of knowledge first hand I would do the co-angler for a year at a minimum. You will be fishing strange waters, with strange people, doing strange techniques, staying in strange places. Not that the WBT will fish the same schedule every year, but you will at least be running with the same crew of people. You will make friends on both ends of the boat.

also after a year or two of co-angler, if you decide to make the jump to pro, you will have a history to draw on for potential sponsors. you will need them for financial and equipment support. Dont forget you may have join a professional organization in order to qualify for the pro side. I am unsure about the WBT but the guys have to pay for their professional BASS membership. Last I remember it was $400/yr. Your insurance will have to have a minimum of liability (I think it is $500k)...there are tons more expenses you have to worry about. Not just entry fees.

Let BASS hold on to your entry until the tournament begins. You may even want to go to the tournament wether you get in or not. Last minute things happen, you might get to fish afterall! If not, get your refund, and if you dont mind fishing with guys look to the BFL to get some tournament experience in that back of the boat.

Good Idea about the BFL Mini...they fish alot lakes around her:cool:

Teri,

Don't know if this helps in your decision making, but I dropped your map in the mail this morning. The way I see it, you are already into this thing for at least $7.99 From where I come from, thats way to much money invested to back out now :)

Teri,

I'll relay a little thought that I have always had. If...."IF" I was going to fish any trail seriously, FLW, Opens, Weekend Series, etc., I always told myself that I would take the first year and fish the bodies of water in a constantly rotating situation making sure I was on schedule with the trail that I wanted to fish. That would allow me to fish before, during and after every event's planned lake. If nothing else, I figured I would have a fundamental grasp of the water. If I were you I would do the co thing for a year and in the time you are not fishing the T's go fish there out of tournament mode and with no pressure. Possibly hire a guide (or find/make friends) at a few of the tougher locations. FWIW......

TOXIC

Good advice all. Thank you!

Mini, I am not mad at you for saying I am a tadpole in a world of frogs. That's why I wanted to do the co-angler thing first. My biggest weakness is "finding" the fish, knowing where they are. That's a pretty key component. If someone takes me to fish, I have no doubt I can catch them that's why I thought the co-angler route would work for me.

I guess I don't have any control over getting cut so I will take it and roll when it happens.

Steve, don't worry. I still want the map. Thanks so much for getting it for me. I have a feeling one way or the other, it won't go to waste.

I don't have the knowledge to answer your questions Teri but I can sure wish you luck with whatever you decide to do!!:cool: I'll be pullin' for you.;)

Uncle Billy

Latest posts

Back