Why?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Hammer TOXIC

Reaction score
A little off topic but can anyone explain to me why college football players are loosing their helmets all the time? They have them strapped right but it seems like every other play somebody's war bonnet goes flying? In light of all the concussion problems in the NFL I can't help but think it is starting in college ball. When I played I only had 1 and it was because a running backs knee came through my facemask and helmet (old style!!LOL!!). Coach had to come get me because I was walking off the field the wrong way and when he asked me where I was going I told him home!! I didn't remember a thing!!:lol::lol: I did deliver a few though;)

TOXIC

I have wondered the same thing, but this has nothing to do with the increase of concussions.

In "the old days" when we played, players were not near as strong and explosive as today. Not only that but I guarantee you there were just as many concussions, but the medical teams and coaches were not up to speed on the severity of them and they were quickly noted as "a bell ringer" or something and not treated as seriously.

Just my .02

When you get a chance, compare the weight and construction of the helmets today vs. the helmets we wore. Today's helmets are much lighter in weight overall with much, much more padding and protective collars, skull cap pads, etc., yet the overall weight is probably half of what I wore. I think our heavier helmets just stuck to our heads due to gravity more than they do now. :lol:

In my day we hit so hard they flew off and they were not custom fitted...But I am old as dirt..Big as a house though..4 sport player 50's and 60's golf,football basketball,track

Latest posts

Back