What would you do???

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan J.

Reaction score
Just wondering what some other opinions/options on a situation might be.

Some history: The neighbor (property adjacent to mine) is a good fella and his wife and my family have been on friendly terms since we moved into our houses in 1/06. I've felled trees, fixed their outdrive, and did some mowing for them since moving in (mostly while they were taking care of his sick Mom in MI) and never thought more of it than being a good neighbor.

Roll back to 6-8 mos. ago, their daughter (hers, not his) moved in for the "final mos. of her pregnancy", fresh from a 1-3yr. stint in the state pen. (Armed Robbery + several attached lesser crimes) :unsure: A few undesirable visits from her friends pulling up to the wrong house later, entailed a flatbed wrecker pulling a POS minivan out from my front creek/ravine after backing off my bridge in the middle of the driveway. :wacko: No help/offer from any of them fixing the bermuda or replacing timbers, I took care of it all and never skipped a beat on the good neighbor path. To this day we still shoot the bull and I'm ready to help them. I consider them a friend, the daughter I do not know and after several attempts from my wife and I, it's clear that she isn't interested in any relations.

Now for the Big Rub! Since we all moved in they've had a couple old lab mixes that kept to the porch, but mostly inside. When outside, they were in their dog run (built like mine, 20' to 50' wide and 100yds.+ long), but mostly just laid around soaking in the sun being very good housemates from appearance. (Occasional stray potty and bermuda kill :( in my front yard from their wandering choc. lab, but nothing ever aggressive. Thing moves like a glacier.) About time the daughter moved in, their oldest dog (black lab) died, leaving the choclate mix. It was alone for about three days when I noticed an 8-10 mos. old Pitbull roaming the property. :blink: The next day going out to check the mail, as soon as I went out the front door, the thing comes running at me up on my porch, full monty with the barking, lunging and chasing me back to my door. (My knee-jerk reaction was to lock-n-load, but I held calm and thought clearly, wanting to resolve this first situation amicably.) The wife was out shopping with the boys, so I called her to tell her to keep them busy until it's safe to come home. I did not want that dog in proximity to the boys and wife. Called the neighbor (home and cell), no answer. Hopped in the truck and went next door (after waiting for the animal to retreat) to be met by the Pitbull in the driveway. Honked and honked and nobody comes out. I went home and called animal control (because I'd like my family to come home...in one piece!!) They responded within 10 min. and went next door to the same response I got. (No answer or recognition of someone honking, calling, dog barking, etc.) The officer gets the hoop stick to grab the animal and, lo and behold, the aforementioned daughter then opens the front door. The officer said she was very short and rude in her responses and issued a one and only warning for a menacing/vicious dog unrestrained. (leash law/aggressive animal) Neighbor comes home and is very apologetic (very sincere) and promises it to be a one time ever event. (Not even close!! :angry: ) He told me the daughter just had to have it after "her" black lab died. Now it seems whenever they are away (I'm hoping :unsure: ), the restraints come off and I have their Pit wandering my property at will. My security cameras have hours of video and pics of the dog doing whatever, whenever, at it's owner's discretion, or lack there of. (About twice to three times a month on average.)

That's it in a nutshell. (Although lengthy! :lol: ) I've had it centered in my Trij. and have neglected to exhale and pull too many times. Friends from the Sherriff's dept. have told me a number of times to "drop it like a bad habit", but I really like my neighbors and don't want to kill their pet. I did explain to him that the next time I see the dog aggressive to my family or me, I'll not wait for the LEO's. The dog will never hear the bang. Here's what keeps nagging me. My youngest can't readily identify the difference between an agressive dog and a playful dog. He loves to play and sees the best in EVERYTHING! :wub:

I just now saw it again wandering across the front of the property towards my other neighbor's property who is deathly afraid of the dog. (Other side neighbors are very elderly.) They have been chased back into their car by the animal already and are in no way able to defend against this now 1.5 -2yr. old Pitbull. I put a call in to the neighbor, but I'm pretty sure they are in MI for the Holidays. (Most likely not the daughter.) Animal Conrol is Mon.-Fri. here, so Sherriff is the only LEO to call and they've suggested what to do several times.

What would you do??? :unsure:

Dan we had a similar problem with renters in a house that went to foreclosure. They kept one chained to the front porch, the 18 year old son thought it was cool and then got another one. When I asked a town cop about it, he told me I should get to know my neighbors. I told him that if I knew who actually lived there I would do it. Anyway they finally moved both dogs to the back yard, chained up. Fortunately the note holder went belly up and the house was foreclosed on again.

It sucks to be in that position and the LEO says call animal control, ours is the county and is worthless to deal with.

Good luck.

I'd personally watch my youngest really close, and if they are not back on Monday call animal control. If they are back, tell them it is not personal but if they can't control it you will call animal control. Between now and then if personally threatened, I'd drop him where he stood.

Tough decision, but an easy one. BANG!! Repeat if necessary. Neighbor might not like it, but they will get over it. If you shoot it, leave it lay and hope you have it on video. Call police and let them make a report and inform the owner.

I live inside the town limits of a small town, we don't have laws against discharging firearms. I had a raccoon issue last year and was informed by the VT Fish and Wildlife that I am allowed to take care of any animal that comes on my property. Our "animal" control is limited to dogs only and they get one call.

Thanks fellas!

I already turned the cameras on motion detection instead of twighlight. (Man, that eats up hard drive! :blink: ) I live in the county (rural) and their options are what they've already told me, (BANG!) or write another report and send to Animal Control on Mon. I don't want to pull a deputy off the road ,again, to give a piece of firestarter to the daughter that obviously does not care about any of this, especially the dog. (And it's not the dog's fault!!) The wife and boys are out doing some more shopping :wacko: , so I'm out of the man-cave and in the upstairs playroom hanging out until they're back safe and sound. (Windows give 180deg. view of front property, most of the drive, and garages.) I'm confident that, if necessary, I can put him down quick from there (Trij. TR-20/AR), but would sure rather have another option. :( Reckon I should go outside if needed to dispatch the Pit, or could I pop him from the window? I'm thinking if I do it from my recliner it might look a tad uncaring, but it would be kinder and quicker, I feel. Outside in closer to the animal, The Judge with 5 rds. of 00 .410 should definitely handle it, although it'll be messy. (I don't want the chance of incidental injury/damage with a larger caliber, rifled round in tight quarters.) Should I be forced to go this route, do you think it matters?

ask him to install a in the ground fence... and set the collar on kill...

mike c

I've offered to split the cost of a wireless fence and was told, "It won't be needed. Won't happen again.", the past couple of times. He's kindly offered to pay my landscaper to fix things his dog has killed off, also. (No big deal.) I just don't think he sees it as much of a safety issue as I do. I've seen the dog playing with him, just as cuddly as a cartoon. That's just not the case with the rest of humanity. He really is a great neighbor to have, except for this fairly recent pitbull. The sad thing is when he says he'll fix it, I really think he believes that's the case, until the next time I'm telling him the dog's out. (Man, this sux and I wouldn't wish this on anybody.) I'm hoping and praying often that he figures things out before it's too late. I'm just not seeing a light at the end of this tunnel without the Pit seeing the light first. :(

A good friend of mine had the same problem. His wife is a huge yard nut and was outside one day when this dog came in with teeth bared. She is also very athletic and held it off with a garden hoe. actually cut the dog with one hit. The owner came over when "he" got home to complain that she injured his pet and was going to press charges. he said it wasn't twenty minutes later it came back in his yard after his wife and she was screaming when the neighbor appeared yelling for the dog to get back when my friend came out and damn near cut the dog in two with one shot. Said eveyone started screaming at each other when he put the gun down and picked up the video camera. All he said was clean up my yard and if you want a copy of the video he'd make him one.

No charges were ever pressed!;)

RandY

I would have one "last" talk with the neighbor... Invite him over for a beer... Sit him down and let him admire a few selections from the gun collection... Then, in no uncertain terms explain that when weighed on the scales of life... His daughter's dog doesn't mean "!@#$$" compared to your family... Furthermore, the next time it is loose in your yard it will be considered a deadly threat and dealt with accordingly.

My good neighbor spirit ends at some point .... And, I think yours does, too!

I am really angry with people who don't act responsibly and do things that put my family at risk. I am impressed that you have been as restrained as you have been to this point...

Dan,Sounds like a mess and I wouldn't want to be in your shoes.Hear is what I think and alot of the guys on this site won't like it.I would try to meet with the nieghbor and the dog and see if you can start a relationship with the dog.Alot of people think just because its a pit that its bad.I have a 115lb. Presa Canario which looks just like a pit but bigger.She looks very mean but would lick you to death. I wouldn't want to see any dog wasted but in the same tone if he threatens your family---- drop him.

I have absolutely no tolerance for unruly dogs. I can only wish I had your patience, I would have dropped it the second time I had problems. Good luck.

Excellent responses from everyone above. I particularly liked the way Greg Meyer put it.

All the best,

Glenn

Dan,

I am a dog lover but I have 4 kids and they come first. I would NOT have a problem with someone putting the dog down if it attack my family or me. Had a friend who is a cop had to shoot one. I know it is a pet but pets can kill. Good luck

We have all seen dogs that looked scary but turned out to be puppies at heart. Bottom line in this situation, the dog has proven itself to be dangerous and the owner chooses not to do anything about it. No one should have to stand by the window and wait for his family to come home so he can make sure they make it in the door safely.

You seem to be able to talk to your neighbor, I would tell him the dog has no more chances. Next time the dog comes into the yard and looks like he is going to be a problem, kill him. The Judge is made for these times, .410 OO buck will take out the problem and not cause any issues with stray rounds.

In the last 5 years here in WV 2 people have been killed by pits that were house pets. One being a 4 year old child. Some people try to reason that the owner makes this breed mean with poor treatment. This is a load of crap, its the breed. I have used beagles for quite a few years to hunt rabbits. Some take to tracking and flushing without any training, others take alot of shocking before a light comes on and instinct takes over. A Pits instinct is aggression. Your nieghbors dog will hurt someone before long when instinct takes over, put a bullet in it.

Good luck,

Eric

Dan,

You could send a registered/certified letter to the dog's owner, with another copy to the homeowner and retain one copy for your records, explaining your situation in regards to the protection of your family. The letter could clearly state that you want to find a mutually satisfying resolution to the situation and that the dog running loose (not LOSE) is not an option. The letter could also state that if the dog threatens you or your family you will have no reservation taking any and all necessary measures for the protection of your family, including the use of deadly force if it comes to that.

You could show the copy of the letter and the receipt to either animal control or local law enforcement as evidence that you attempted to avoid having to shoot the animal. That, combined with video showing the animal roaming loose (not LOSE) should be more than enough evidence to protect you from any liability.

Then, upon receiving no response from the daughter or your neighbor, if that dog came anywhere near anyone in a threatening manner I would shoot him dead, dead, dead and not lose (ahem, notice NOT "loose") any sleep over it.

MO

P.S. I'm on a bit of a rant lately about spelling lose "loose" and visa versa.

Only other option (vs. putting him down quickly yourself) I can think of Dan is there a way to get the dog in a crate/box/garage/fence? Can you lure the dog with meat/hamburger, lock it up, and take it to the pound on Monday? If not, and we have called Animal Control on a few neighbors over the years (at one time it was 2-3 times a week they had to go to pay to get their dogs back, and we told them honestly each time it was us), I would take the police advice and next time that dog is on the property I would put him down quickly.

My ideas on the subject. Screw the "good neighbor" crap, to me your relationship sounds pretty one sided.

Have your sidearm with you while out and about your property and if at any time the dog threatens you shoot it. Period.

If this doesn't happen call animal contol every opportunity you can and get copy of report. This will establish a history. Have the copy or reports along with video for back up. See If the neighbors will call animal control and get copies of their report forms. Get aquainted with the county laws concerning dangerous pets so you know where you stand. In other words cover your ass best as possible.

Now if you have gotten to this point obviously enough time has passed that you can be assured your neighbor is taking advantage of your good heartiness, they obviously aren't going to do something about situation. They might appear nice BUT YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO FEEL SAFE ON YOUR PROPERTY.

This is the point that I'd grease the mutt while it is on my property and promptly report a dog attack to the sheriff.

fatrap

Dan,

Have you been "introduced" to the dog in your neighbor's home? If not, that may be the problem.

I had a pit....she was the smartest dog I have ever known.....except when it came to the road and I lost her. And after 10 years, I still miss her tremendously.

Anyway, she watched everything around the house and was very protective. If we didn't invite someone in, she took exception and that person was not going to come in. Same with my car if she was in it. If I had her on a leash, I could walk up to ANYONE, but they could not approach me.

That's the nature of the breed. They are very loyal and protective to their family. There are some that are bad, mostly due to owners that do not understand the breed.

It's possible that the dog see's you and your family only occasionally and does not understand that you live next door, sees you as an intruder and reacts accordingly.

Can you and your family visit the dog in its home with your neighbors present? And perhaps have your neighbor bring the dog into your home? It would let the dog know that you are acceptable to the neighbor and not there to harm them. It may make a difference.

Before anyone jumps on me, I agree that any potential threat to my family would be dealt with deadly force. However if there is a peaceful solution, I would rather take it.

Sue

I think my approach would be to not only invite the neighbor AND HIS WIFE over (so there is no he said she heard) and have that letter in hand expressing how your friendship is important to you. However then hit him with the "Big Bang Therory" and close with how you really want to remain close neighbors. Now you probably will never have that relationship again but you won't have to look at your childs face that has been scared for life or looking at pictures of him saying he could have been.

Not the same but on similar lines my neighbor had his cabin cuddy in his driveway for the 12 years I have lived in my house (he has been here since the subdivision was built 20 years). The guy two houses down and I have our bass boats on the side of our garages his was in the same place. We have no rules about boats in our division but we do for everything else. Come to find out he help write the rules early on. Well to make a long one short he sold his boat after the youngest went off to college. Guess who was the guy to start a pettion in the subdivision to make it a violation to have a boat visible from the street. The same best neighbor, beers in the backyard, ***** about the wives pal of mine. So you see what you my think is a "great neighbor" might just need the right cause to do to you what you are reluctant to do to him. Would he shoot your dog if it went after his grandchild???? Bet he would! No simple answer but blood is thicker that a neighbor.

Just one mans opinion,

The Dragon

Easy solution-

Let that thing wonder into my yard, problem solved.

ethelyne glycol straight.

case closed

I am with Sue D. on this one ... here is Lulu an American Bull, some will call her a pit but she was not. She was one of the best dogs we every had, when my stepson moved back home she came with him. Now I was very fearful of this dog and I told my stepson that he was more than welcome to move back home but the dog was not welcomed!!!

I was traveling back then for work and it was just my wife at home at the time, but the dog and my wife really bonded in the first week, so she stayed. I grew to love this dog and when I found out she loved to go boat rides it got better.

It

I can't thank you all enough for the ideas, thoughts and concern. I should also apologize for the stretch marks I'm leaving on your eyeballs. (I start typing and God only knows when it stops! :lol: ) I've tried getting to know the dog on three seperate instances and it ended when it started. Even with the owner holding his collar, the thing is trying to get a piece of me! (He says it's because he's young, doesn't know me, yada, yada, yada...) One thing for sure, it ain't getting near my family if it can't be civil with me first! The last conversation we had about the dog just after Thanksgiving was pretty much how Greg suggested. I honestly thought it was settled (again) until yesterday when I saw him trucking across the front of the property. :angry: I'm heading out for a fishing trip in a few days and I hate to have this thing over my head while I'm gone. I really appreciate some very good points raised:

MO - I sent him a receipt request email that I C&P'd from the family attorney. He said that serves as notice equal to the cert. letter route. That was done back in August. :eek: P.S. - mI huKKed on foNNix iz on da wEy! :lol::lol::lol:

Trep - I have thought about using a snare, but my wife is convinced the PETA lovers would have a field day with us, seeing it as cruel. I can't think of any other way to trap it. It has to be 150-165lbs.

Fatrap - I rarely go anywhere without support, now even to check the mail! :lol: The Judge fits good in the top big pocket of my overalls or MY Bulldog fits in jeans or a jacket pocket. ;)

Sue - I really, really have tried to make nice with this animal. On the first instance with it they told me it was a rescue dog. (I don't know from where.) With my luck, it was probably one of Mike Vick's. :blink: I won't let it near my family, if I can't get near it.

dragon - I've tried to explain it to them all, but they (not the daughter) are really sweet and just don't seem to get it. Kinda like they're so kind they're clueless to the severity of the situation. :huh: On the HOA front I feel for you. I've dealt with the "Condo Commandos" once in my life and it was tooooooo much!! Good luck! ;)

Ken - I wish Ken (and several of you others) was my other neighbor. I feel there would be no more problem. :D

Mini - Brother, I've been tempted. It really isn't the dogs fault, so if he needs dispatched it will be with "extreme prejudice". The lingering poison I wouldn't wish on a dog, not even this one.

Dewey - That is a sweet looking pup there! I bet she turned out to be your best friend. I see that look on the Pits face playing with the owner, just no time anywhere else.

I really appreciate everyone else's input, thoughts and well wishes. (E5, Berry, Bob, Randy, Greg, Rich, Jimmy, Gilbert, Glenn, John, G8rmac, eric - If I missed anyone, I apologize and REALLY appreciate the thought given and help offered!) I just hate being out of town, wondering if there's a problem. I'm pretty confident that when my neighbor comes home he'll be all sorry and while he's there the problem will be contained. That's just not enough. My wife hates to carry. She's good at the range or down at my cabin plinking. She just doesn't want it in proximity of the boys on her person. (She also has a CCW.) We had a long talk and should any situation arise while I'm out, she'll shoot first, dial 911, then dial me. I pray to God she doesn't have to be the one, or even worse, my kids witness or are involved. I told the neighbor last time that I'm only starting with killing the dog should my family get hurt. :angry:

Thanks again and God Bless you all! :D

Tough situation for sure. We had a neighbor some years ago that wanted more protection, and bought a fully grown Pit Bull. Fortunately, the wife made him get rid of it in three days for it terrified her and the kids. It had already climbed my fence twice and was roaming in my back yard. Luckily, no real problems for the dog was gone within a week, but I worried quite a bit for several days.

In short, given what you have said, I believe you need to do something positive before something bad happens. Your family comes first. As harsh as it seems to be, I think that I would be going to the mailbox frequently 'armed and prepared'.

Best to you and your family.

Tex

First, it's not about the breed, it's about the DOG. With the next act of aggression on your property, exhale and solve problem. If your neighbors are as sincere as you state, they will understand. They probably want it gone as well. I have a neighbor with 2 dogs...1. A Foxhound who is as nice as a puppy. 2....A Chow/St Bernard mix that is territorial to a fault. Let me say I can walk up to this dog and pet him like my own. But let me take my dog out and it is over the top. Dog has always been in an electric fence but his coat gets thick and he can rush the barrier. It got to the point where he was coming to middle of my driveway but was too stupid to realize he had cleared the fence and could just keep right on coming. If it is me outside, i will walk right up to him and make him retreat to his yard. With my wife....or daughter, I know it was only a matter of time before he went all the way. My wife and daughter can handle themselves but I was afraid what would happen if a dogfight broke out. They could get bit and for sure my Weim would take the brunt of it. He is verry passive with other animals, he was raised with a rabbit and totally ignores it. My daughter even hatch chickens for a science project and he was fine with them. People are a bit different....but I digress. With our neighbor after the first complaint, they shaved the dogs neck. After the 2nd and 3rd warnings, they got a stronger dog collar, it took my wife calling them and totally cussing them out to get that done. We just finally warned them that we were going to call animal control every time he hits my driveway. Your situation is different. The dog is people agressive and there are 2 steps that I did that I would not if I were in your situation. 1 warning them, 2 calling animal control.

TOXIC

After speaking with my wife about this subject this morning, I think we may have it partially figured out - Your neighbor is SCARED of their DAUGHTER. If they are nice people, but the daughter is a little bi-auch, they may be confronting her with it and then she turns on them about it. Since they are scared of her, they try to soothe things over with her by denying the problem exists to themselves, and therefore paying you lip service because they are stuck in the middle of an explosive situation.

It's a tough situation to be in, but if any dog came running up, chasing me or my family onto our porch, I would have no problem dispatching it.

By the way - on the subject of the Judge - Have you checked the pattern out of your particular firearm with buckshot? I know they all may have different results, but I've seen some tests. I was way less than impressed with the very large spread that I've witnessed from buckshot out of that pistol. I'd have a couple of .45 LC's in there too. Maybe alternate buckshot, .45LC, buckshot, .45LC, etc... To get an effective buckshot pattern out of it, the subject had to be closer. Way closer than I'm comfortable with, considering it's a very large pit bull. I'd say the momentum from him running at you would put him in your lap when he skidded to a halt (hopefully dead).

All the best,

Glenn

Tex and Tox - Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I appreciate the support.

Glenn - I think you hit the nail on the head!! (I was going to type BINGO!! but I felt the font should be about 10X larger!! :lol: )

I've patterned my Judge with the 00 buck and for close quarters (10-15') it holds about 16" spread on the outside. I definitely wouldn't use the buck on anything further out. (I tried at a standard 25' and lost half off the target!) I usually alternate rounds with the long Colt, but I don't want a follow through pancaking the drive and continuing Lord only knows where. I bought it for my skiff gun when fishing in FL. During the spawn them big 'ol gators seem to be afraid of nothing, so just in case, I figured an SS Judge would be the ticket, alternating rounds with the LC. More often recently, I keep a CA Bulldog .44 Pug in my pocket, but again worry for the collateral damage. On a side note, I tried .410 slug in the Judge and from 10-12' on out it's hit or miss on a standard sillouhette! :wacko:

Dan....get a nice "supressor" for your .223.....problem solved!!

"What noise??...I didn't hear anything?!!":eek:;)

Mine sound like a pop cap;)

Your right Tox...it's not about the breed.

It's about vicious dogs.

Dan,

The thing I would worry about in shooting it from your window was that it would look premeditated. If you shot it with the pistol or shotgun while confronting it, you would have a better argument that you were protecting you and your family from an attack. Tough situation. I hope it turns out alright.

Scott

Thanks again for all the thoughtful replies and suggestions. I realize I am only left with the option to carry something on me at all times while outside my own doggone home. When my neighbor gets back, I'll inform him one last time that when the dog crosses the property line unrestrained, he'll have to carry him home full of holes. I really hate to do it, but see no other alternative. :(

Did anyone see the special on Animal Planet last nite?:eek:

OMFG! Did anyone see the black woman that was attacked?

Horrifying is an understatement!

They have the bite power of a BEAR!

Sorry for the rant but, I don't like them, never will!

I'll stick to my buddy Sparky;)

best non lethal weapon to use on a dog and they will get the point is a paintball gun! they will get the point that next time it will be lead instead of paint!!

friend of mine had a black lab that used to come over in his yard and leave landmines all over,he told the owner quite a few times,but was basically blown off,till he had his 2 daughters ages 4,and 6 with him,the dog ran over to them in his yard and start growling at them,he did have his 380 on him,but thinking of the impact to the kids didnt do it,but scared the dog off. the next day dog reappeared doing his setting of the landmines in the back yard,pop open the window, pop off about 10 rounds at the dog! hits were made,color was deposited.neighbor never asked him if he shot the dog,since we used to "test fire" the paintball guns after a weekend of shooting.when the dog is loose all he has to do is "test fire" the gun,empty and the dog runs! owner also calls the dog if he hears the gun going off!!

Thanks Jeff! I may try the paintball route once, but holding a little more impact in the pocket should the thing not get the hint! ;)

As much as I like the paintball idea, there was a case in VT years ago where a lady put paint on a cat that kept coming around her property and marking its territory. She got cited for cruelty to animals. It is best in VT to humanely kill the animal and call the authorities. Your laws may be different.

Thanks Bob!! Good point! I'm afraid this thing would just get more pizzed from the paintballs anyhow. Lead seems to have a more "calming" effect. :rolleyes:

Just got off the phone with my neighbor about this for, as I told him, the last time. (At least I hope so for his sake!) From now on, it's up to the dog's owner(s), not me. (I really hate this for the dog. :( ) My course of action has been explained in detail. and it will be permanently resolved at the next instance of threat. :cool:

the paint in paintballs is non toxic,ate a little bit of it before,latex water base paint.washes off with water. so i guess no tree hugger will be offended by it!

hit it enough times it will think twice about it.. just tell the owner youre making targets for the lead bullets!

I wouldn't do the paintball thing. With the size of that dog, and it's capabilities, you might not have enough time to get the pistol on target after it doesn't respond to the paintballs. A bulldog killed one of my mothers cats when I was a teenager. I was trying to get the cat from the dog as it was shredding it to bits, so I smacked it over the head with a broomstick. I broke the broomstick on it... and it acted like it didn't even phase it. It just turned toward me and gave me a "you're next" look. I ran. My parents called the cops and animal control. A few minutes later, a cop pulled up, got out of her car and approached the dog. When the dog growled at her (pure white bulldog, with bright crimson red blood dripping from it's jaws), she quickly pulled her revolver and shot it. Most exciting thing I had ever seen in my home town in all my teenage years. :lol:

All the best,

Glenn

"Most exciting thing I had ever seen in my home town in all my teenage years."

Glenn... do I wish I had been a cop in your hometown instead of where I was...

My career is best described as weeks and weeks of boredom punctuated by periodic moments of stark terror! A Bloody bulldog would not qualify as "terror"...

That being said...

I agree that the paintball gun is not a good plan... I would get some #4 or #5 buckshot and have my trusty shotgun dehind the door... I think this is way past "further discussion" or attempts at deterrence. The odds of a tragedy increase with every passing encounter. You probably should not risk one more "near miss" with that dog.

Dan, sorry you have to deal with this.

I agree with Greg on this one. The dog is a serious threat. A pit bull can inflict debilitating or fatal wounds to a child in a matter of seconds, and it happens far too frequently all over the U.S. This dog is already demonstrated it is prone unprovoked attacks across property boundaries. You have a right to enjoyment of your property without fear for the safety of your family and yourself. You've done the good neighbor and good citizen necessities, risking your family's well being while doing so.

Time to institute rule 410.

I was going to ask if you've talked with the daughter, the 'owner' of the dog, in addition to her parents. But it appears to me that she is spoiled (at least a bit), which is demonstrated by the fact that she lets her beloved pet run loose all over the neighborhood without HER calling it back or going to retrieve it. In my mind at least, if I had a dog that meant that much to me, I'd have it on a run or in a fenced yard so that it wouldn't just bolt for the nearest woods.

It doesn't sound to me like she really cares that much for the dog itself as she likes the IDEA of having a dog/pit bull, but without having to take personal responsibility for its care and training.

If I were in your shoes, I'd shoot the dog the next time it acts aggressively and not feel about doing it. If the daughter makes a fuss, I'd tell her that a person who really cares about a pet doesn't let it run loose like that, that maybe she should consider a goldfish or a Parakeet instead of a pit bull, and that I'd do it again if another dog threatens my family.

Oh, and if your neighbor ever says, "It won't happen again" yet another time, tell him, "You're right."

Wow, sorry to hear about this issue. I'm surprised no one else has mentioned it, but came close with the paintball gun. First thought that came to mind was a BB gun! No marks, no paint. Just enough power to get a good "yelp" outta the mutt! I'd be waiting every day for that dog to come into my yard LOL!

Have some fun with it, that dog will learn not to come close to your lawn.

Just my .02

Bruce, unfortunately, with the Pit Bull breed, there is a genetically inherited trait that doesn't exist in most other breeds. It's basically "attack/fight to the death."

I know that this doesn't sit well with Pit Bull lovers, but we all know that selective breeding in dogs enhances certain genetic traits. Many lines of Pit Bulls have been selectively bred for aggressiveness and fighting ability. When you get a Pit Bull, you have no way of knowing what role these genes play in the potential behavior of the particular dog. I'm sure you've heard or read the refrain, "He was always so loving and playful," as a description of a Pit Bull that, prior to maiming a child or another pet, had never caused any harm.

I've had Weimaraners all my life. The breed was developed for both hunting and companionship. Some of the Weimaraners I've had, despite no training or hunting exposure, when they see game, will point or go into a stalking pose. It's just part of the genetic programming of the dog. The dog can't help it. I wouldn't ever tell someone to get a Weimaraner and say "this dog will never try to catch a squirrel or a bird," because I know for a fact it would, given the chance. Why people insist on saying "this Pit Bull would never hurt anyone," when there is simply little or no way to guarantee such a statement with a high degree of confidence. Maybe Ceasar Milan can say that, but most owners cannot.

So, the BB gun/paintball gun might work for controlling certain behavior, but it will not reprogram the genetic traits of the dog. Certain combinations of stimuli, which we cannot predetermine, will trigger attacks by Pit Bulls. Dan might be playing in his yard with his son, and the Pit Bull, despite having an ass full of BBs from prior situations, might decide, for reasons unknown to us, that it's time to go Kamakazi.

People don't keep coyotes as pets, for good reason. The same should be true for Pit Bulls. I love just about all dogs, but as a breed, I hate Pit Bulls.

Latest posts

Back