Buying a boat from BPS..what's up?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Holden

Reaction score
Last Friday I went into Bass Pro Shop in Prattville, Al. to look at potential boats that I might be interested in buying in about six months. When I got there I found a Nitro Z7 that had been reduced because it had been used to follow the Bass Pro Elite tourney here in Montgomery. It was certainly a good deal. Presently, I own a Nitro X5 and told the sales consultant that I was interested and was ready to do a deal. However, after some time I found that the Sales Manager was the only person that could approve the sale (which included my X5 trade-in) and "he was not here today"...say what? Ok, I told the salesman to pass this offer along and gave him my cell and home phone number and told him to call me the next day. After leaving BPS, I went by my bank and arranged financing. I call the salesman back (again this is on Friday afternoon...I'm ready to write a check) to tell him I had financing and the ball was in their court. So, I waited all day Saturday...no call. I waited all day Sunday...no call. So I called Sunday afternoon and found out they HAD SOLD THE BOAT ON SATURDAY. I couldn't believe they had sold the boat out from under me, especially since I was ready to write a check Friday afternoon, but the decision maker was off. When I confronted the Sales manager about selling the boat, he responded "I can't work 7 days a week"! My response was " then why does tracker have so many salesman...if they can't sell you a boat". You know there is with any business transaction an act of good faith...but not with these guys. I also found out the salesman are not commission...no wonder they don't care. My point here is not a knock on Nitro's quality or that I missed out on a good deal, but it the fact that I have wasted my time trying to give somebody my money. This is the second time that I have been "put off" by the sales team at BPS in Prattville, Al. I told the sales manager, after he disingeniously apologize along with an arms length of excuses, not to worry. I would not ever be back again. I just don't beg people to take my money. So I ask for all you guys that live in the Prattville, Montgomery, Wetumpka area...what's up with buying a boat from BPS?

rnh, sorry you missed out on a boat you wanted.

It's not quite fair to say they sold it out from under you. If they had accepted your offer and then sold it to someone else...that would be selling it out from under you.

In these types of transactions, the seller is not obligated to say yes or no to an offer. They may not have liked your offer. The person who bought the boat might have given them more profit than your deal was going to deliver. It's certainly reasonable for them to want to make the most money they can on their inventory.

It is poor management practice to leave someone hanging after they make an offer. If they didn't like the deal, they should have countered or said no. If the sales manager can't work 7 days a week, he needs to delegate authority to someone else when he's off.

rnh, sorry you missed out on a boat you wanted.

It's not quite fair to say they sold it out from under you. If they had accepted your offer and then sold it to someone else...that would be selling it out from under you.

In these types of transactions, the seller is not obligated to say yes or no to an offer. They may not have liked your offer. The person who bought the boat might have given them more profit than your deal was going to deliver. It's certainly reasonable for them to want to make the most money they can on their inventory.

It is poor management practice to leave someone hanging after they make an offer. If they didn't like the deal, they should have countered or said no. If the sales manager can't work 7 days a week, he needs to delegate authority to someone else when he's off.

Next time while dealing and the same situation comes up ask to put down a deposite. I bought my Tundra from BPS although I'm an employee the sales rep was able to "write it up" then and there. Approval came later when it was washed through the sales manager. Sales reps now work on hourly and get no bonus for selling a boat. If it were me my issue would be with the initial sales rep. The comment about not being here 7 seven days a week does sound inappropriate I'll reserve judgement as I don't know the tone it was said. Even though your through with them I'd still ask them what they could do for you. Another item you might find usefull is that Tracker Managers now work under the General Manager he may or may not find your tale usefull.

They had to drive 400 miles to find and bring back my boat at Tracker expense and they did it.

fatrap

Agree with Rich, sorry you missed out on the deal but I would be back in there with the Sales Manager or GM asking whaat's my next option? Maybe they can locate another for the same price or better. If they sold the Z7 for cash money and didn't have to deal with taking in and selling a used boat, I don't blame them. Like Mike said put a deposit on it and then you can say there is a deal pending otherwise, it's just a negotiation. Remember as well, there are a lot of people who go into a dealer strike a deal and then are never to be seen again and the dealer may have turned down other offers. Cash talks, Keep looking, there are great deals out there this time of year.

TOXIC

Robert, I resent the fact that you think because I'm a non comission salesman that I don't care. If I didn't care I'd stay at home. The salesman should have had you put a deoosit on the boat. That way it is yours if the deal works for you if not, you get your money back.I have been a Nitro owner since 96 and really enjoy selling them. A couple of things went wrong for you and it should have been handled better. Sorry about that. Tracker Sales Rep. Rich Eder St. Charles,Mo.

rnh, I have personally dealt with BPS in Prattville. I bought my boat from them. I have recieved great customer service from Ken. To date I still go in and talk to him. He greats me as a friend. I believe your issue was that you were working a deal for your trade in. Thus the sales manager had to make that deal. Sorry it didn't work out. I believe your situation was an exception of the rule, and Ken (and team) gives great customer service.

Dennis in Al

I agree with the guys about putting a deposit down. Reality is until you do you are just kicking tires. Its a bummer what happend, i can totally relate.

I had a very similar situation happen to me just last week. A local Honda dealer had a brand new 08 VFR800 that i was interested in, its exactly what im looking for right now. I called the dealer, spoke to one of the salesman about it. We talked about it and i told him i was going to come the next day and look at it/ most likely buy it. I figured since it has already been there two years it wasnt going anywhere so i didnt put a deposit on it. Stupid me :wacko:.... Another salesman sold it that afternoon. Had i put a deposit on it over the phone that day it would be mine.

I bought a used Truck this weekend, and basically had to do the same thing. Luckily, the salesman was very forthright with me on it. He basically said, that if I were to leave and didn't put a deposit down, then someone could walk in right behind me and buy it. I left a deposit. Probably a good thing also as my credit union is having some internal IT problems and my loan is not yet finished.

Just mark it off as one of those 'life experiences' and move on. As mentioned, you should take a shot at working some other deal with them - although that might be difficult.

Tex

RNH - I feel for you. You tried to buy a boat with money in hand; wanted to do a trade; but the business wasn't prepared or trained to handle this. Then when they were, the boat was gone. I'd be pissed off too. Doesn't matter if you "should" have made a deposit - the bottom line is the BPS salesperson wasn't prepared or well trained; nor was the store set up to take care of you. To add insult to injury, the sales manager was neither sympathetic nor willing to try to make it right by offering you another boat or seeing what he could do. Seems just another example of poor customer service.

The good news? You have $$$ in a down economy! Go find another dealer. Heck, check out used rigs elsewhere. BPS can't be the ONLY boat dealer out there that is willing to sell you a boat with or without a trade-in! Shame on the AL BPS store.

If everyone is buying boats, trucks and motorcycles, why is the economy so damn bad? :)

Rich, not everyone is buying boats, trucks and motorcycles. Some of us are buying ammo!!! :lol:

"Some of us are buying ammo!!!" :lol:

Some of us already bought plenty of that a while ago.......:lol:

Rich

When they took the commission/bonus off sales that sucked. The salesman that sold me mine quit. Don't blame him. The guys we have now who work for hourly are fairly new and have busted their collective butts learning product and still producing sales.

Rnh

Hope you don't give up on Tracker because of this. Please let the dealer make it right if theres a chance, but be there with some talking money even a $100. I bet they can find a boat to meet or exceed your needs just give them time.

fatrap

I appreciate everyone comments. I understand business is business, but there is alway that "good faith" in every transactions. However, I found another Tracker/Nitro dealer. We negotiated a deal over the phone, I went and picked one out, and am closing the deal and picking the boat up this afternoon with no deposit or money involved. All negotiations were done within a matter of hours. Now that is what I define as "good faith". I been in the retail market for 30 years, and the name of the game is not "sells", but "repeat sells" which equates to customer service. That is where the money is, I assure you. I would have been a little more understanding if this wasn't the second time a bad situation has happened. That's why I went back to BPS...I gave them the benefit of the doubt. It is no body's fault but mine...I take full resonsibility. I broke my own rule that I have practiced all my life..."first time- shame on you", "second time- shame on me". Thanks for all of ya'll insight, I appreciate it. Whoop, got to go, got to pick up my new boat... and see if I can catch a bass this afternoon.

Latest posts

Back