Which would you buy?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric Thurman

Reaction score
I have a challenging question for anyone out there....Which used boat would you buy between 3 different boats and why?

All 3 used boats are the same price, similar accessories and pretty much the same excellent condition. All three maintained routinely, dry stored and covered.

I will use the boat for personal fishing (1x - 2x a month) and plan on keeping the boat for a long time. I will being paying cash. I am still interested in the resale (should something happen and need to sell it). I have driven them all and all meet my needs of comfort, handling, hole shot, plane and speed)...60-70 MPH is plenty for me.

2005 Legend LE 21 foot (dual console)

100 hours on the boat

Merc 225 Optimax.

2006 Nitro 929 Single Console 21 ft

100 hours on the boat

Merc 250 Verado

2007 Nitro 929 Dual Console 21 ft

80 hours on the boat

Merc 225 Optimax

If anyone has the time, I appreciate all comments.

And thanks guys for the comments already received...all great points and thoughts.

take care

Eric

I would have to take it to the next level and ask how have they been stored,what type of service has been performed,have they been serviced on a regular bases.Whats the history of the Maufacture of the boat and motor.Verado vrs Optimax? Last which is most pleasing to your eye.Have you taken any out for a test ride to see how well they perform on the water? Buying a boat is so personal that its not really going to matter what we have to say.All my friend own Tritons and I bought a Nitro.

I own the 929 and I won't buy anything else(except the Z9) but David's right,buying a boat is a personal likes and dislikes,so good luck with your purchase and think you'll be hsppy with what you go with!!

all things being equal, extra points would go to the 929 dual console or the 929 with Verado.

Having a Verado myself, that would be my first choice if you are looking for a boat to keep for awhile.

P

Personally, I want a dual console boat. I know many tourney anglers want a single console, but I really like having the dual.

Although most of the Pro's don't run a Verado, I keep hearing good things (as Pierre has noted) about the Verado. If you think that this is the time to make the switch, then certainly give it points.

After that, I'm with those above. It's really a personal decision. The other thing that I would note is this. If none of the three really 'trips your hot button', maybe you need to keep looking.

If you treat your boat as a 'tool' to get you back and forth and to be comfortable in, and are not worried about the 'hot button' feeling - then pick one.

Best of luck with your decision.

Tex

More questions then answers from me - How long do you plan to keep the boat? What primary water do you fish, and will you fish Tourney's for just for fun? Is the legend a single or dual console? Do you like/want a Single or Dual console? Paying cash or financing?

If you are planning to sell it 1-2-3 years from now, I would go with the newer boat with less hours, so you get better resale in my view. Now at 2006 with 250 vs 2007 with a 225 might be a wash on resale, but as Tex said the Verado vs. Opti is a good discussion. I don't see many/any verado powered bass boats down here in Atlanta, so resale on the Verado might be an issue if the local market isn't buying them vs. the Opti. But if you are planning to keep the boat 5+ years, it won't make a difference, get what you want/like.

Can you do on-lake drives of each boat? That would get you a feel between the 225 Opti and the 250 verado on hole shot, top speed, handling...

I've rode in a 929 DC with the 250 Pro XS and it was a ROCKET at almost 80mph, HUGE boat/deck and storage. The 929 are not the fastest 20+ft boats, and I don't own one, but drive it and see what you like and what is comfortable for you.

Great position to be in!

I prefer the dual console and I enjoyed the 929 that I had. I'm assuming the year of the motor matches the year of the boat? If so, the 2006 or 2007 motors could still have some warranty left on them which would be a big selling point for me.

Good luck,

HP

Thanks guys. I added some details to my original question since some guys were asking from more details. Also all motors are unfortunately out of warranty, but I think that might be the tie breaker for me if one had been under warranty.

thanks for all the feedback.

Eric

I like a dual console, but from the sound of it, your not going to go wrong any way you go in my opinion, all very nice boats.

Eric,

I will agree with the posts above that a boat purchase is a personal prference. Listen to what people have to say. but in the end it seems like you plan on owning it for a long time. So go with what suites your needs. Start a pros cons list. dual console VS single, 4 STROKE vs 2 STROKE, Nitro VS Legand... and so on.

personaly i will never own a single console boat. That is my preference and don't really care what the masses say or prefer.

They all seem to be in what you are describing as Excellant Condition. Wich ever you choose have a mechanic check the motor as it is usually the most expensive thing on the boat to replace or repair.

Good luck with you your choice. I wish i had the same delema you have right now, i am probably 3+ yrs away from a new boat.

GregD

PS. go with the dual console 929 with the Opti max!:D

From your short list I would pick the 07 929, Great big water boat and fishing platform for all around performance. TX wise I would go with the 929 and the Verado for the 4 stroke fuel and mpg?

BF

Hi I have a 929 dc with the 250 Verado and love it. That being said the opti will get better mpg but you have oil to put in it.

CJ

I agree with CJ,my XS gets at least 5-7mpg so I'd go with the two stroke-but I love the smell of burning oil!!;)

Kacee - You and Eli both!! Beka on Friday at G'ville said something like "EWW what is that smoke and smell???" I said "Ask your younger son, it's our FAVORITE smell in the morning!!! "

These are all awesome feedbacks.....I will make my decision tomorrow. I will let you know but am leaning towards the 07 Nitro DC with the 225 Opti.

cheers

Eric

Weeeellll the 07 Nitro owner backed out of the deal when I showed up with the cash. He said he thought he should sell the boat for $4k more than what we agreed on......can you believe that S@!T. What a douche.

So I am down to the 06 Nitro with the 250 Verado. I am not sure it is still available, but am not ecstatic about paying the same cash as for the 2007 model.

I was pumped about hitting the lake this week...oh well i am not going to force a purchase on a boat.

thanks for all the advice between the boats....geesh

Eric

Not that it will do you any good, but I'd turn him in to the local/state authorities. When you advertise something for sale, and then have agreed to the sale for the price - that is a 'contract'. Unfortunately, you likely would have to go to court to get satisfaction, but by contacting the Attorney General's office and logging a complaint, you might get some 'personal satisfaction'.

Sorry that the deal didn't go through.

If you were really set on that boat, I'd go slowly looking at your backup plan. You want to make sure that you put yourself in a position that you definitely WANT the boat you buy, and are not simply 'settling on the best available'.

Tex

I agree on the agreement, if I had backed out they would have likely kept my deposit. I will likely file something with the BBB, though as far as legal action, I doubt I will pursue it further unless I see some charges come thru on my credit card without a credit to follow.

Great advice!! I have already caught myself trying to quickly find another boat, and should probably back off and let it come to me easy, rather than forcing a deal....though my second choice of the 2006 Nitro with the Verado 250 is still an option, though its a single console and both jump seats and pedestals are missing..Tracker charges about $250 per seat for a replacement (not including the hardware etc)

Thanks Tex for all the help.

regards

Eric in Houston.

Latest posts

Back