Which hydrofoil?

• Thread starter Justin Arellano
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin Arellano

Reaction score
I have an 88 tournament V-17 with a 60hp merc. I have a problem with it porpoising when trimmed out at WOT. I read a letter in Bass & Walleye boats from a guy with the same boat. He said he put an SE sport hydrofoil on his rig and it eliminated porpoising and increased top end speed. This

hydrofoil is sold in basspro but there are two sizes. He didn't mention which model his was. I just want to make sure I get the one that will perform best on my rig. If any body can help me out it would be much appreciated.

I had a Nitro 700LX with the 75hp Merc and I bought the largest one of the two choices of the SE Sport Hydrofoil. I had a great deal of luck with it in helping my boat plane out quicker when I had a heavier load in my boat. When you are at WOT and you are porpoising, I would say that you are trimmed up too much and you need to trim down just a hair til you quit porpoising. THen you should be at the proper amount of trim. Anyone agree?

On My Tournament V17 with a Johnson 60HP I had the same problem.. Its a typical result of a Flatbottom/SEMI V Boat. I added a SE SPORT 300 Hydrofoil From Bass Pro. The boat always planed fast and had plenty of power, but the foil really woke it up. I could trim Higher without porpoising and actually picked up a few MPH because of the smooth ride. ALso allowed me to make sharper turns at higher trim. Well worth the $40 Bucks. If you have any questions about the TV 17 Let me know. . I just sold mine to a friend and we will be doing some interesting projects to the boat. Its in great shape, but he plans on DOing some Custom PAint work Custom Console and some various improvements in addition to what I have done.

Latest posts

Back