Which engine hole?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty C.

Reaction score
I have a Nitro 750DC with a Mercury 125 on it. I have a 26 pitch laser II prop with all the holes open. The motor is in the middle hole (3rd). Shouldn't it be in the 2nd? I noticed my rpms are around 4700 WOT. This engine's max is 5200. Should I have the motor raised?

i am with jim, i have a 26 tempest + on my 911, 250 hp verado, you have

the wrong prop!

I agree...the prop is the culprit. I was getting 4950 with the 21P prop on my Merc 75. Switched to a 19P and it settles right down on 5250, right where it belongs according to the manual. Now, that said, both of these are aluminum props, so there may be some slight variation in results with SS props. I used to use a SS prop on a smaller Evindrude, but went back to the aluminum because it gave that boat and motor better performance.

jag

Rusty - Here's another vote for the Prop first. I'm running a 700lx with a 115 Merc, and i'm turning a 25 turbo at 5000 rpms but i've got a 5 inch jackplate on the boat. If you are realy 500 RPMs below the max, i'd try a 23-24 pitch prop first, before moving the motor (but we realy need Pat Goff to chime in), and then decide if you want/need a jackplate. But at that RPM and that prop, i'd not move the engine until I worked on the Prop pitch first.

Trep

I called one local shop and they told me to look at the website and go to the engine/prop selector page. He then told me that if Mercury thinks that motor needs a 26 pitch prop, then that is what it needs. Then he slammed the phone down. Oh well, I guess they didn't want my business.

I have found that Mercs prop selector is way off on all applications I have tried. I think they prop it strapped to a 2X4 instead of a boat.

I'm gonna say a 22 or 23 max......

Let us know the outcome;)

It should be mounted 1.5" above the transom(3rd hole) with a 26p prop. Straight from Tracker rigging specs.

Craig

Since tachs are electric and not water pressure driven like a speedo or pressure guage, they tend to be much more reliable.

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back