where to find/buy a Motor Guide Prop??

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrepMan

Reaction score
OK after 3 days of fishing the last week (total for all of us, including Eli who whooped us all again, was 10 bass the biggest going just shy of 4 lbs!) I have a LOT LESS of my motorguide 3 blade Machete prop :(

It seems hooking lures on the shore and retreiving them using the trolling motor in 30mph gust winds wasen't what this prop was made for :p

All 3 blades are chipped, I filed/sanded them smooth/sharp for our last trip on Sat, but now need to replace it. On Friday I called EVERY boating/marine shop w/in 45 mins of my house (Dicks, Walmart, Sports Authority, Big Red Bargain Barn...) and no one stocked them, only Minn Kota props.

I figure BPS carries them in the store, and if need be i'll FORCE myself over to the store on Sat, but wondered if there were any other stores you folks know of who carry them? I'll try the local marina's today too on the phone.

Trep

Whaddyamean force yourself to go to BPS??? I stop in there for a candy bar sometimes.;) Really they should have the MG prop in stock. For some reason MK has the advantage in the product placement, they are hanging on the pegboard hooks in just about every Wal-Mart, Academy, and mom & pop store in the country but never MG.

Order it online and you'll have it before Saturday.

Harpo

Trep...

I've seen them at Wal-Mart, but not very often....when they have 1 or 2 MG props they don't last long....try any local marinas too...

az

Thanks guys, I almost ordered on Friday afternoon online, but the frugal one in me is trying to find one localy w/out paying shipping.

Trep

I mihgt have a spare... I had one that was the wrong size... which one do you need?

Shipping costs or gasoline....which would you rather pay??;)

Harpo

Hapro - Gas if it means loading up the cart at BPS!!! LOL

Buy two. One with two blades, the other with three. Then you have both a spare, and the ability to switch blades if you are in heavy grass areas. Order them both at the same time online, and save some on the shipping.

Tex

www.trollingmotorparts.com These guys are awesome and will hook you up

As an expert prop breaker, I find them cheaper on-line. I haven't broken one since I switched from 3 blades to two. Make sure you measure the hub and get the right size.

Rich D

Trep when you do buy one get youself an extra one and keep it as a spare in the boat. It can really save the day. I have broken some so bad that if i didnt have a spare it would have ended the fishing day.

OK got the message, get 2!!

Sim's gonna check his garage this evening to see if he has one!

A month or so ago one of the local Wal-Mart stores had the whole motor guide kit that is normally about $18 on clearance for $3. It comes with the 2 blade prop, wrench, nut and 2 shear pins. You might call the Wal-Mart in your area and see if they have some and if they are on clearance. I bought the only two they had in stock and had to send one to my brother since I owed him one. I would have bought more if they had them because some of the places I fish tends to eat them. It is at times like that when I get into the thick stuff that I miss my aluminum bass boat.

Larry

Thanks guys, I almost ordered on Friday afternoon online, but the frugal one in me is trying to find one localy w/out paying shipping. Trep

Frugal?:lol::lol: You mean cheap don't you? If you by on-line you don't pay state tax so that should equal out to shipping charges.

Bill

Also I have found it cheaper to pay shipping than go into the store?? You won't buy what you won't see. NOW everybody says buy two, where were you 15 years ago when I had to row across an electric only lake after knocking the blades off of the tm? Granted I needed the exercise but the thunder and lightning had my buddy worried.

BF

P.S Funny thing is Randy gave me the remaines of that prop back to me on my 40th (5 years ago)

Best gift I ever got, talk about priceless.

What are you guys doing out there??? I have run my TM into stumps, rocks, limbs, cables, fence posts, my trailer, the ramp, steel poles,the bow and I'm sure some other nasty stuff that I can't even think of and other than a couple of bent shear pins and a few nicks it's none the worse for wear. Am I not trying hard enough???:wacko:

Harpo

Harpo you need to try harder for sure. I have shattered a few hitting rocks. Soft things like wood seem to just nick it up but a good peice of granite will kill a prop for sure :)

I actually end up replacing mine at least twice a year because i kill them, i dont treat a trolling motor very nice :D. The part that stinks is for my big Minnkota the props are like $35 a pop.

I gotta find which computer I stored the prop picture on, all 3 blades are missing the last inch or so plus more!!

No Harpo, this is the FIRST time in 6 years i've even nicked a T motor prop, so maybe I was due. I know why though, on the Tracker if i hooked/snagged shore/rocks I just T motored up and pulled the T motor out of the water and coasted in, never worrying about IF the boat hit. With the Nitro in such great shape from Rich, i'm a little gun shy of beaching the Nitro especialy as i've not got a Keel Shield yet!!

I've got an old Evinrude trolling motor that has a prop blade that is pretty well worn down (but not broken). I've found a place to order one (Lake Fork tackle), but the problem is that I can't get the old one to come off!

I think I'm going to have to order one, and then 'brute force' the other one off.

Tex

Tex, dont use too mcuh "brute force" to try to get that prop off. Whacking at it with a hammer or similar you risk cracking a magnet on the motor. If you really cant get it off i suggest getting a dremel tool or something similar and saw it off. You have far less risk of damaging the motor that way.

Ps a little grease on the motor shaft goes a long way in helping the prop come off in the future.:D

Mine was a little MK 35 and as soon as it hit the rocks it was toast. Don't get me wrong it was my fault and we trolled all the way back, I think we caught more fish on the way back than we did on the ride before. Thats what makes the propless hub I have on the wall so priceless.

BF

Latest posts

Back