What towing capacity do I need for a Nitro 16' with 90hp Merc

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary martell

Reaction score
Looking to buy a new car and I want to make sure I have the correct towing capacity for my boat / trailer set up.

Boat is a 16 foot Nitro side console with a 90hp Merc.

I searched but couldn't find anything specific. Even my Nitro manual provides only general info on towing the boat.

I am looking into a Cadillac SRX which has a tow cap. of 3500lbs.

Any suggestions.

Gary

Thanks, I don't want to be under powered. I towed this rig with my Honda Element with the 4cyl 2.4L engine and it was barely manageable.

Screw the towing capacity number ... it's only a start point ... horsepower is what controls trailers ... at 300+ Mac's assessment is confirmed [that, and he might know something about GM products ... :lol: ;)] that you will be able to control the trailer and tow it easily.

The SRX has a 6cyl in it......you'll notice a BIG diference. Here are a few stats...

*New 3.6L direct-injected V-6 with continuously variable valve timing and SAE-certified 308 horsepower (230 kW) and 265 lb.-ft. of torque (359 Nm) becomes the standard engine for all models.

*Hydra-Matic 6T70 six-speed automatic with driver-selectable Eco feature that alters shift points for greater fuel economy

*Heated steering wheel standard on all Collections

*Bluetooth now standard on the Base model

*New 20-inch wheel finish

*Interior door lock switches added to the door panels (and retained on center console)

*Available all-Ebony interior trim

*One new exterior color available in the fall: Xenon Blue Metallic

I can also get you a friends and family discount if you're interested!! (Good for a few hundred to a grand or more off...every little bit helps!!) All I need is your birthdate, and zipcode,...and your email addy to send you the auth. number!!

;)

It'll do fine with that combo...probably right at 2000 lbs apprx.

Oh ... it has Bluetooth ... it will be able to tow that boat for sure ... :lol::wacko::lol::wacko::lol:

I find the biggest advantage is brakes and not so much engine. Stopping the extra weight if someone tops short in front of you is an important aspect.

I tow mine with a 1994 Toyota V6 DX Pick up truck 4X4. I have a2008 Nitro Z6 115HP it does it fine.

Earl

Latest posts

Back