What date should I move my sons birthday to?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TritonGlenn

Reaction score
I have a little delima, and it's starting to get worse. My son, who turns 4 years old in 12 days, is starting to realize the importance of "birthdays", as some of the kids his age are having them now.

That's right.... he was born on Christmas day. Not exactly a good day to try to get kids to come over to your house to celebrate huh? Even the area surrounding his birthday is not a good time, as people go on vacations, etc... so there won't be many kids around.

This year is a bummer - He's been in Texas with my wife for the past few months, and even though he is "new" to the area, the kids in his dayschool class have had a few parties, and he has been invited (and he went) to them. He and my wife are flying back up for Christmas / his birthday, and we will celebrate both here - but only with family and friends.

I don't think it's much of a big deal at this age.... but it's going to start getting worse, I have a feeling. So, speaking to my wife, we think it's best to celebrate his birthday in future years either a little early or a little late, so that we can have his friends over for cake, ice-cream, moonwalks (those hot air jumping things that the kids love), etc...

Ideas?

All the best,

Glenn

We had a similar problem with my Son's, 12/19, so we rsolved it with a "half birthday, June 19 for the "important years", till he was about 12 or 13, for parties with other kids. We didn't move it for family parties. I would say do the 1/2 thing for the next 8 or 9 years for "other kids" parties. And, use Christmas Eve, the Saturday of the week before Christmas for his family celebration, or even Thanksgiving.

I pity you when he turns 16... No matter what, the Driver's License thing won't be open.

Glenn - I agree with Greg - Move it six months(earlier or later???). Course, you can always tell him two great people had their birthday on the 25th and he should feel special. Our youngest grandaugther was born on the 23rd (2 yrs old) but we celebrate it in early December with friends and family.

My daughters are 12/9 and 12/21, and like Greg, we did the "half birthday" thing for a while, (usually around the 4th of July)but as they got older they didn't like that, so we'd combine them then and do both the same day, usually just after Thanksgiving or first weekend of December.

WoW! I've been sitting here for awhile thinking about this until my brain started to hurt no wisecracks).:p The solution I have come up with is::::I'm sure glad I'm not you Glenn:wacko: I did have some friends years ago who did not celebrate Christmas until like the end of January because they wanted their son to have his own "special" day.. I don't see how that could possibly work at all though? You just can't cancel or move Christmas but you can a birthday. I don't know but I think, unless his Mom would screw it up, that I would move his birthday to sometime more convenient for you, for him, and for his friends who could then attend any birthday events he might have. By the time he figures out that July whatever is NOT his birthday he'll be glad of the switch. When that happens you have some splainin' to do but I think he'll understand that you wanted him to have a special day all of his own and that he probably get's far more presents this way than if both days were celebrated together.. What a tough job..

Good luck with whatever you decide to do but let us know ok?

Uncle Billy

Why not make it "The first Saturday" in December every year (regardless of the actual date)......that way his friends will always know in advance that there's a B-Day Party the first Sat. in December!!:wub: Easy to plan for...always on a "SATURDAY" and always 2-3 weeks before his REAL B-Day. It'll be far enough away from Christmas, that he won't get shafted on presents (important to a kid y'know!!), and it's still close enough to Christmas that the "theme" won't be an issue!! ;):rolleyes::D

Thanks for all of the responses everyone!

It's tough in some ways, and not so much in others.

He's a smart kid. We've told him several times that he "shares a special birthday with Jesus", and he now repeats that whenever someone asks him when his birthday is. Oops! :blink: We weren't thinking of the reprecusions when we taught him that one.

He's lucky on the present end though. He's the only male, besides myself, to carry on my family name. There are no others. My father died when I was 3, and was an only child. I was an only child also (before my mom remarried... but all my step-siblings have my step-fathers last name). So... due to that fact, my family has showered him with gifts over the past few years. They are also aware of the fact that most kids get gyped out of presents with birthdays like his, and they have been kinda "over-compensating". :)

I think we are going to go with Macs idea. We will be living in TX next year at this time, so the weather shouldn't be an issue - should still be warm enough to throw a party outside if need be.

All the best,

Glenn

Latest posts

Back