What a practice!!!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob LaMoy

Reaction score
All I can say is wow! Now I know how some of those guys feel that don't even prefish the last few days and then blow the field away. Well the first part at least!

I was off the water yesterday at 1:30 and started an hour late and pulled off at 11:30 this morning. I have a SOLID pattern and one that apparently few other people have dialed in on. I won't go into details for obvious reasons but I have never seen and boated so many 5 lbers in a practice in my life. It reminds me of the Chazy River near my house in May, flippin the trees....20+ lb bags are the norm.

I am not even going out tomorrow, gonna sleep in and get ready. My mom is coming out to see this one and as many of you know, she has been my biggest supporter/sponsor the whole way through my career. Nothing would make me happier than winning this one while she was in the crowd watching. I don't want to jinx myself, but if nobody moves in on me or another 10 guys haven't figured it out like me and are hiding too....then I might just have a legit shot at winning this one. 'Bout time too!!! I have had less than a stellar year minus the TBF championship, All American, and Super Tourneys....well when I put it that way it sounds like a good year, but I barely squeaked by in the other 3 and a so-so in June sight fishing.

I really want a top 6 and to go back to the big show, say some prayers folks. I'll try to post my results Thursday and Friday.

And a big thanks to Teddy Carr....Toxic's boss. He definately pointed me in the right direction for quantities of fish...I just had to fish them my way to figure out the quality part. I'll post the details once I'm done the tourney. ;)

You are foolish if you dont get out and learn more of the river dude.....you need a plan b, c, d and an e. You wont accomplish your goals sitting in the room or sleeping in.

Congrats on finding them (with help) but one good cold front or bad tide and you could be toast.

Get back out there and get more baskets to put your eggs in them and quit counting the chickens!

Hope you win it! Good luck. I am starting to get really excited about my Classic next week. 2 in 20 chance of winning a boat! :p

Solid reccomendations there Rob....how many times have I had a good pattern turn south on me on T day. Even if all you do is get out there a try something completely different....Get out there. Wins rarely go to the un-prepared.

I'm with you about chazy....best few days of fishing I've ever had.

Good luck to you,

P

they are right rob, i fish the river every weekend, it can turn on a dime, and with a cold front comming, and maybe some wind, you better have spots on all 4 corners to avoid the wind if needed.

mike c

good luck

cant wait to hear your pattern rob, i have a tourny sunday and cant prefish.

mike c

Rob,...get your butt back out there and find MORE spots!! Do you think KVD takes days off and sleeps in when he finds'em?? Not on your life!!! You wanna be the BEST??..Then practice and fish like the BEST!! Prayer's don't get answered if you don't do your part too!! Now go get 5 more spots JUST like your best one!!:rolleyes:

Giter DONE!!

Rest after success.....then you'll really enjoy it.

Rob, you on the Potomac? I was going to go fishing but if there's a big tourney out of Smallwood then I might stay away. How many boats will be there?

Watch the tide times and go out a little later if you want some rest... But, I agree that sorting out one more possible pattern is a great use of your time tomorrow.

Call me again later tomorrow. I'm going out after some river walleyes. My boat is finally ready (fixed that horn problem... rectifier).

Rob,

Mike C is correct!!!

The water temps are running 66-68 right now and if we get some more <50 degree nights, you will see this drop in a hurry and some of the shallow grass starts to die overnight.

I live right here at the river near Aquia/Potomac creek and fish it quite frequently from DC to the saltwater. You need to have multiple patterns and spots to run the tide each day. For the most part the fish you caught today will not necessarily be there tomorrow. The wind/sun/tide/temps all affect the fishing here each day. Your call for sitting out today is still a good one! You would not be able to get around and fish the main river anyway. The creeks would not be much better with the gusts they are predicting. And whatever you would learn would probably not apply for the next few day after this front blows thru. Not to mention the pounding.:)

Example

Here is the NOAA forecast for today:

Today: A chance of showers, mainly before 8am. Partly sunny, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 72. Breezy, with a west wind 11 to 14 mph increasing to between 20 and 23 mph. Winds could gust as high as 44 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

Fishing the northern lakes you do I know you deal with the wind. We deal with the wind and tide! If you have never seen what a west 20 mph wind does to the Potomac (much less 44 mph), then you are in for a treat! The grass beds on the east side as well as the creeks will get pounded and muddy up. The west side creeks will get water pushed out and then the tide movement will stir it all up and send it everywhere. For a day or two you may have a few pockets of clear water scattered around. If it blows 20+ you can see 5 foot and up swells with very short durations. Good day to line reels!!

Good luck. Be safe!

Rob, I'm going to say most likely what you have will be off. That wind there today will kill it, hopefully it doesn't effect you or my fishing partner Craig but I will say the last time the regionals were there Craig was on 20 lb. everyday in practice then the wind came and all of his stuff was muddy and the water was out! needless to say it was extremely hard.

Mark

Latest posts

Back