Walleye's anyone?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barb Baggott

Reaction score
Well, going to northern Wisc. for a week in July. Suppose to be a great walleye lake. Problem being, never fished for walleye's. Anyone got some info for me on what to use for bait, where do these toothy creatures hang out in a lake, and any special way of catching this things?

Thanks for the help!

Barb

Fish for bass and you'll probably catch walleys. IE we catch them every year on tube baits and jig and pig on Lake Ontario and St. Lawrence River during bass tournaments. Last year got an eye close to 16 lbs on Lake Ontario on jig and pig.

Barb,

Which lake? I'll be in the area from July 3rd to the 9th but way far North (Near Ashland / Bayfield). In the lakes I fished up there, I caught them with the same baits as I was using for Bass. Most of the "walleye" shows look like they're using nightcrawler rigs or jigs with plastic trailers down deep.

SevenPin

Sevenpin,

I'll be at Cable lake outside of Spooner, near Hayward. So in other words, walleye patterns are the same as bass?

Crawler Harness's, grubs and maybe some Dipsy Diver's with spoons:)

I'd post some but, my puter's jacked up. Just check my library Barb.

Also the good ol' plain worm rig has caught some nice eyes over the years. Those are just a few of many:)

Get yourself some 1/8 oz jig heads and white and brown tripple ripple grubs and have at it. Throw these on 4-6 lb test line and just drag them along the bottom. Black head with a white grub works best, 3" and 4" tripple ripples. Should be the perfect time of year for these.

Barb -

You need to hook up with Greg Meyer.

He's the pro when it comes to walleyes!

You and I still need to hook up some time - your area or mine!

me!

I've been there about half-a-dozen times..... The ramp I've always used is at the western edge of the dam. It's an excellent facility with lots of parking and - if I remember correctly - 2 double ramps. (4 lanes)

Are you going to Greg's mini rally?

Give me a call at work: 800-325-9053.

My early season walleye rig is a 1/8 oz firetiger jig with a minnow. Get out the fryer.

fatrap

I use as light a jig as possible to get to bottom, on calm days, I could be down to 1/16th. Grub and nightcrawler or minnow if you can get them. You get less bites from rockbass and perch using minnows. If you find any cabbage filled bays close to where you are getting walleyes, try rigging a larger grub (weedless) on a heavier jig and ripping it through the weeds, settling in pockets. We have caught some monster walleye on shield lakes doing this.

Rich D

Use the technique explained by Bassin Fool, tip the jig with a minnow, crawler or leech for best results. Look for un-even bottom terrain rockky bottom as you would for Smallies. Walleyes have been know to hide deep in the weeds too.

Pierre

My brother-in-law lives in Arbor Vitae up there and swears by the thunderstick fished at sundown along the eastern shore at the break where the water goes from 8' to 4' or so. Says the eyes come in to feed then, staging deep and running in to get the chow. Seems to work. Cast into the shallow areas and keep moving. Best after days where wind was out of the west. He typically fishes Trout Lake.

Picture3.jpg

Looks awesome....can't wait to catch a few of them there toothy critters!

Barb... Seven Pin.... e-mail me so I can target the specific lakes... I have maps/coordinates for mos of the popular walleye lakes in WI... July will be tough.. pretty warm but as I said, I will give you any info I can...

Barb,

Is that Cable Lake in Cable, WI (18 mi. North of Hayward)? If so, I don't THINK there are walleyes in that lake. I get up there regularly - my friend has a cabin in Cable - and I've pulled a bunch of Northerns through the ice on that lake, but never a single walleye. I'll check into it.

TJ

We ran into these tasty 'eyes while smallie fishing on Erie last summer.
untitled.JPG

Nice string of 'eyes!! Definitely worth "stinking up a blade".

Barb - A #7 Shad Rap in firetiger or minnow pulled/cast on 6-8# test will catch Waldo too! The plain 'ol jig and minnow combination is the age old fall back plan. Have a great time and enjoy the experience!

Latest posts

Back