Voltage regulator

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Dallaire

Reaction score
Alright. First off I think we should all get together and get BBB ( bleedin black bob) something for being so helpfull. I cant get service that good and I work in the marine industry.

Anyways BBB my question is I just got a new to me 2002 115 clasic. Everything looks good except I noticed that in the center of the voltage regulater there is a small circle that melted . I am assuming that this is from the previous owner over working it on a crappy battery.

My questions: If I where to hook up a voltmeter to the battery while and crank then start the motor what should I be seeing? I am assuming while cranking the voltage should drop to around 11 or so then when she fires up sit between 12 and thirteen? I want to make sure that its still functional. If not I can get one shipped next day from cdi.

Second question is all the connections are red and yellow. Is it safe to assume that regardlessof the wires, as long as i re-attach red with red and yellow with yellow I am good?

Bob msg me your address and I will send you some plastics from one of my sponsors Lunkerhunt !

John

Hi John;

If the reg is melted, burned or discolored in any way...replace it. Usually, this is due to faulty grounds or, as you stated, poor battery / connections. Be sure the grounds are all clean and tight. Remove them, clean the surface and re-install, coat with a little liquid electrical tape...merely checking the nut / bolt is not good enough.

As long as the wire colors are the same, they can be joined. Once started, you should see about 12.8-13.1 volts at a shade over idle rpm {1500+/-}. I'll double check when I get to work to be sure.....;)

EDIT: Here's the "test" from Merc....

16 Ampere Stator

1. Check battery voltage at battery with engine running.

2. If battery voltage is above 14.5 volts, replace voltage regulator/rectifier. Check condition

of battery as overcharging may damage battery.

3. If battery voltage is below 14.5 volts, charge battery. Refer to Charging a Discharged

Battery, preceding. If battery can NOT be satisfactorily charged, replace battery.

Back