Update on Russ

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich D

Reaction score
Hey all,

Below is the text from my sister's latest update!

"Hello Everyone! I hope everyone is doing well. Life has been busy for the Lang household. Russ takes a lot of our time and energy to care for. He is slowly improving. I see changes everyday and most are for the good. He is still swearing like a trucker but now we are trying to correct him. Even though I'm not quite sure you can correct it. I feel almost as if he can not help it himself. If you catch him before he says it he will try and change his wording and if you really stay after him he tries not to swear but sometimes it just floweths out. And the things he says you cant help but laugh. He can be so honest at times .. You know, things that just should never be said...well he says them. Not in a mean way but a very honest way. Thank God we all have a sense of humor. He has also managed to develop little nicknames for some of us. He calls Bobby a Whippy among other things, Nicole a Wench (she didn't even know what that was), Richard a fat b****rd, me..words I would never repeat, but amazingly never in a mean hurtful way. He has a way to put it all in the same sentence in which he also tells you how much he loves you or how great you are, and how terrible he feels for saying those things..Quite an experience.

Russ also has become very emotional. He cries at the drop of a hat. He cries because he is so happy I give him his milk in the morning, he cries because Brooke Ewing is so grown up and beautiful, he cries because everyone loves him, sends him cards and stops to see him. He was crying Saturday morning while watching the movie Jumji. I took him out for a ride Saturday and Sunday and he cried in the car at the leaves changing ... Everything is just so overwhelming for him. But even through all this crying and swearing Russ can start to laugh in a second. He has already been laughing and crying at the same time. But seeing this I know the Russell we all know and love is still in there and he is gradually working his way out. Yes, there is medicine to help him through all this but the side effects are awful. I really feel with all the love and awesome support he has through all of our family and all our friends he will get through this.

As far as doctor visits and such..Russells appointments start Oct 28th. He is still having home therapy which seems to be going well. When they come, which is twice a week, they have him working on doing the steps, setting the table, loading the dishwasher, (hey I am beginning to like these therapists) putting on his shoes, pouring a drink..etc..Russ is still very limited in the bending and lifting department because of his back. But his walking skills are improving and we are working on having him sit up longer each day. Right now they say he has to sit up 5 minutes for each 1/2 hour to hour. Then we are to build on that. Russ sits up a lot for me in the morning but as the day goes on he is harder and harder to coax to sit up. But we are working on it. I have also mentioned to who ever stops by or who is watching him to take him for little walks. Even if its around the house. Anything to start building up his stamina and so pneumonia doesn't set in. Hopefully all these little baby steps will turn into giant ones.

I am going to try and bring Russ to the Spaghetti dinner on Saturday. I know he will not be able to stay for the entire 3 hours. I was hoping to have him there by 4:30 or so and stay for at least an hour. I have talked to him about it and he is really looking forward to coming. A big Thank you to the Seiferts and to all of you for making this happen. Its impossible to express in words my gratitude. Your unconditional love and your undying support.... This is what keeps everything in my life together. Thank You."

Thanks all!

A Wounded Deer -- leaps highest --

I've heard the Hunter tell --

--Dickinson

Thanks for the update... As always we keep hoping and praying that he continues to improve...

Latest posts

Back