Update on priming livewell pump -- solved

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Hartman

Reaction score
Some weeks ago I reported that my uncle and I took out a shiny new 2003 Tracker pro 17 and that the livewell pump wouldn't work. I asked a question about priming the pump which the boat manual suggested I do by backing up the boat while the switch was running.

Well, that didn't do a darn thing. I was about ready to just go and buy a new pump, since that was cheaper than hauling the boat two hours and back to the dealer. However, the problem has been solved, thanks to accident and thievery (explained in next paragraph).

When the dealer set up the boat, they wired the bilge switch to the livewell pump and vv. I accidentally hit the bilge pump last week (while trying to steal one of my uncle's jigs when we wasn't looking) and low and behold water started rushing to the livewell. It was sorta like Jed Clampett discovering oil by taking a pot shot at that rabbit he had no chance of hitting. We haven't had any water in the boat since we've had it so we never really tried running the bilge pump.

So, a wire stripper and a couple of connectors later we were in business. Ok, call me stupid if you want. I just thought I'd post a message to let everybody know how we solved the problem and to give someone else something to check if this ever happens to them. We've had a pretty good laugh over this for a while now. Our lesson, first time out with a new boat, check ALL the switches. (which, by the way, the dealer said had been done)

...BillH

So are you saying it got wired to the wrong switch?? When you switched on your livewell didn't the bilge pump start?

TOXIC

Great that you easily solved the problem Bill. NOW call that dealer to tell him what THEY DID and what you had to do to fix it. This will A) make sure they don't mess up anyone else's boats and B) might get you a free oilchange or something next time you go back!

or

C) "Thanks for letting us know. See ya."

Bob G.

I agree with Trep on letting your dealer know, however, the pumps in question are rigged at the factory. The dealer could only find the problem out much like you did. Glad to hear you solved it.

To answer Toxic, yes, the switches were wired to the wrong pump and when we pressed the livewell switch, and now we know it was the bilge pump running. Both of the pumps are sitting in there pretty close together and it **sounded** like the livewell pump was running when it was actually the bilge pump. I just didn't think about a wiring problem. So, in short, we didn't realize at the time that it was the bilge pump whirring without anything to do because we were just going by the sound. Not too smart ... but ...

For everybody else, I did call the dealer. He was somewhat put on the spot since we have a sheet with everything they "tested" and checked off as working correctly. He apologized but didn't take me up on the offer to upgrade our motor to a 75. Maybe I shouldn't have started so high.

....BillH

Bill - I TOO would LOVE a 75 on my 175!! ALMOST cut a deal with Neeley last year but he couldn't ship the motor down to Atlanta!! I'll keep the 40 till I have enough cash to buy a Tundra or Avalanche!!

Latest posts

Back