Update on a thread about HB798

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffry Skidmore

Reaction score
Last week we had a thread about HB 798s and software versions from the factory. I was surprised to find out that my brand new unit I bought/recieved/installed last week came with software version 5.40(latest version is 5.80). I knew about shelf time, inventory turnover, etc., but I figured Cabelas moved inventory faster than that. It's not a problem for me; I've already got the update downloaded. I was just kind of surprised; I figured that as many folks that sell these things, inventory turned over faster.

That is probably because most purchase their marine electronics from a marine electronics dealer and pay less than what Cabelas and Bass Pro sell those units for.

Wayne,

Sorry, I missed your point. I purchased mine from Cabelas. I would think that companies like Cabelas, BP, and GM, would purchase direct from manufacturers in quantity, giving them a lower per unit purchasing price than most smaller local dealers. Most of the local dealers/outlets/etc. that I physically travelled to when researching and shopping were asking full retail along with (IMO) over-priced installation fees. In addition, I would think that the stores like Cabelas, BP, and GM with internet sales would out-sell local dealers 10 to 1.

:blink:

Supply chain functionality at work. When you purchase a Garmin GPS, they virtually require you to get a current update.

In the past, most manufacturers (software programs or hardware with operating systems in them) worked in a waterfall methodology. Gather the requirements; design the updates/changes; build; test; plan the implementation; implement; 'fix forward'. With the advent of the Internet; smart phones; apps; etc. the time to market can sometimes be measured in 'days'.

Most are now using a 'Just in Time' development cycle based upon an 'agile' methodology. The biggest difference is that you do incremental development and delivery. What can we get done in the next 4-6 weeks to publish/deliver at the end of week 6. Almost immediately after they set their 'scope' on what goes in the package for week 6; another team is looking at the next package that is working in parallel on a delivery that may be targeted for week 7 or 8.

And now you have had your 'methodology' training for the week! :D

Tex

Go online and check prices at J and H Products before you buy anything in the marine electronic field. They have very competitive prices and I and a friend of mine have gotten great service from them. They will often beat Cabelas and Bass Pro by 10% - 15% which in a unit like this might mean a savings of $100. For instance today at Cabelas that unit list for $1050. You can buy it at J and H for $875, a savings $175.

Gopreach

Jeffery, My point is that a smart shopper will buy where the best price is. Since the before named suppliers do not have the lowest prices, their stock can be OLD since very few don't care where they buy stuff and what they pay for it.

Well, I guess I fit into the "smart shopper" category since I paid $760 for that unit with no shipping.

I spent many an hour researching and going to different "local" boat shops, sports shops, etc. and no one beat that price. I checked on ebay, craiglist, and some dealers recommended on here and other forums.

I'm sure I probably got a last years model, but that's ok; the warranty is the same.

Just be thankfull it is a humminbird and you can update instead of having to living with out the updates. :)

Consider too that not all companies or retailers rotate stock either. This could have been a unit that was on the shelf for quite some time. We came out with the 5.840 software back in December so the latest your unit could have been built was late December or early January (if the PCB was still in the manufacturing process than). What is the serial number of you new 798 unit JSkid? That will tell you the PCB manufacturing date.

Greg Walters at Humminbird

Latest posts

Back