Ultrex Install- Access to the mounting bolts.

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have now installed a new Ultrex Troll motor on my 2017 Z-18. Replaces the Fortrex which has performed flawlessly. Hoping for the same from the Ultrex. I have posted pics here of the access hole that is molded into the deck. It is large enough to reach even the front bolts that secure the bracket to the bow. There is very good support structure for the mount. I added Two more bolt holes since my Fortrex was only mounted with 4 bolts. There was never any issue with just 4 but the Ultrex has 6 included. I went ahead and used them all. I’ll post a pic of where I placed the electronic compass. I forgot to get a pic of that. There is a top thick plastic cover plate and an aluminum plate under it that provides support for the motor electric plug. Screws are all visible with easy removal. Best advice I can give is do not over-tighten these. That will strip out the holes easily.

Attachments

• 13113427-2FA3-4255-91A5-93D50E635353.jpeg
    13113427-2FA3-4255-91A5-93D50E635353.jpeg
    312.3 KB · Views: 70
  • 49C60ADF-B861-4570-AA8C-1ADC7F55B9F7.jpeg
    49C60ADF-B861-4570-AA8C-1ADC7F55B9F7.jpeg
    222.3 KB · Views: 71
Here is the finished install

Attachments

• 279ADBD8-1274-4C2E-89FA-A94DC59565AB.jpeg
    279ADBD8-1274-4C2E-89FA-A94DC59565AB.jpeg
    133.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 3B65BE10-6EBA-4847-B70A-4BFBFF4CAB10.jpeg
    3B65BE10-6EBA-4847-B70A-4BFBFF4CAB10.jpeg
    127.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 42E87286-CC01-47AB-BFFE-E46AEBD562DC.jpeg
    42E87286-CC01-47AB-BFFE-E46AEBD562DC.jpeg
    126.9 KB · Views: 72
Couple of things I learned in my research before I did this project.:
Be sure that your foot pedal recessed area will not hold water at all. I drilled a couple more holes in corners. There are electronic components in the pedal assemebly that make it much more sensitive to a bath of water. The slot down the side of the shaft seems to be a good place to align and strap the sonar cables but be careful- some cables are thick enough that you need to avoid pinching them in the plastic fork that guides the shaft into place when you lift the motor. In that slot you force the cable to bind in the "fork" guide on the shaft. Pinch marks on cables will void warranties on these. Although I used zip ties, it is recommended to use electrical tape instead because of this issue. The Garmin unit I have on the bow has a thinner cable than some, so I got by with using the slot. When I get a new Hummingbird unit I will followup with what I've pointed out here. This Ipiot link system is in this unit. I was able to get it for less that the cost of the standard issue by buying a manufacturer refurbished unit. It looked like it had never been out of the box. Downside is you only get 1 year of warranty but I saved nearly $1,000 on the purchase.

I'm adding a couple of notes here:
My Z18 had a 50Amp breaker on the troll motor wiring at the batteries. That needs to be changed to a 60Amp breaker for the Ultrex. Manual says that the motor draws as much as 56 Amps under load. I bought one from Amazon that was half the price of a Minn Kota breaker, has a manual disconnect switch, and was highly rated by purchasers. Also, be sure to put a 1 (one) Amp fuse in line on the electronic compass wiring. The manual calls for that and I didn't find a singe reference to that anywhere online in the "how to do it" videos.

Thanks for the info! I am getting ready to replace my Fortrex as well. I am still deciding between the Ghost or the Ultrex. I have Lowrance units on my boat so I am just starting to do the research now.

FastZ8, My partner has the Ultrex on his boat, so I've had the opportunity to see it in action and day to day use. My thinking is that they have the bugs out of these now since they have been around awhile. The Garmin and Lowrance units look good. I guess time will tell if they can offset the Minn Kota lead on the technology and reliabiltiy. Let me know what you see. Thanks!

I'm adding a note here- now that I have had the opportunity to use the Ultrex a couple of times. At first I thought I had a problem- with the spot lock function, when the motor would move 180 degrees clockwise, spot lock would disengage. I was puzzle by this until I quickly found that the end of my shore line was getting under the foot pedal at the very bottom part of pedal travel. Proof that NOTHING can imped the movement of the pedal at the top or bottom- or in between. The half inch think rope was blocking the full downward movement of the pedal and imediately disengages Spot Lock each time the pedal touched it in motion.

Larry in the picture you have posted the one in the middle has your trolling motor at rest the prop is to the inside also the head the long is pointed to the inside on mine if i have mine at rest with prop to the inside my long part of the head is pointing to the outside of the boat did you move the head

I did not change the position of the head. The small pull grip section on the lower side of the head is in line with the leading or front part of the troll motor below or facing forward.
This is how they are all set up as far as I know.

Ok Larry a closer look at the picture it just looked like the short end was outside i wish mine had been mounted toward the inside a little more but not going to change it. I will be like you and will miss the arrow LOL. Waiting on parts hope they all get here in a day or so. I though i had the short cable to hook up transducer but it was different my luck. Thanks again

Hi Larry, I am attempting to install 36v ultrex on my2018 Z18. My photos look similar to yours, however mine hole is cut more to the center. I don't see how you reached the front mounting bolts. You must have very skinny forearms....LOL. Either I will have to cut into it to open the access of find a skinny kid to get access via the rod locker.

Did you fashion a special tool to extend your reach?

Attachments

• IMG_20210313_144032246.jpg
    IMG_20210313_144032246.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20210313_144102619.jpg
    IMG_20210313_144102619.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20210313_145037033.jpg
    IMG_20210313_145037033.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 22
Tim,

It's hard to tell but I think the acesss hole is the same as mine. It really wasn't too difficult to reach through and my arms aren't particulary skinny. I"m 6' 2" so I have a better than avererage reach maybe! LOL. I didn't have to have any special tools or holder to get it done. As I recall I had to get up on deck and lay down reaching in. some of the bold holes are very close on the port side from the access.

Latest posts

Back