TRUE Bayliner Story - Happened TODAY I was there!!!

• Thread starter Michael Trepper
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrepMan

Reaction score
OK I took off at 4pm to get some crappie fishing in, only got 2 but they were good sized.

Anyway, I am tieing my boat up to the dock to go pull the van/trailer back out (I had just launched the boat) and a family (mom, dad, 2 girls) pull up and the dad says "You know anything about bildge pumps? I'm taking on a LOT of water and the bildge pump won't come on." I tell him I'm not electrical but i'll have a look. I tie up the tracker and JEEZE he's got 6 inches of water ABOVE the floorboards!!! I ask him if he put the plug in!! HE looks at me and says - "What plug?, I just bought this boat this morning and the guy at the marina told me it was ready to go" I had all kinds of visions in my head, especialy the blond bayliner w/trailer joke!!! He fishes around in his glove box and comes out with something and says "Here is this the plug you are talking about? WHere does it go???" LOL

Yup he had the plug in his hand, first boat, used Bayliner 19ft with a 5.0 v8 and NO ONE showed him what to do!!! I told him he had so much water and with the bildge not pumping he'd need to trailer it out and let it drain first. He asked me if I could load it for him as his wife can't doesn't know how to drive the boat or back the trailer down. I do my good semaritan duty and load it for him and then talk him through how the plug works, and other first time stuff. He also had NO Transom tiedowns from the dealer!!! He drained the boat put the plug in and took his family for a few hours ride. Funny, as i'm loading my boat back at 8:30pm tonite he comes back to the dock. Thanks me a gain and says "i'll have to take it back to the dealer tomorrow, the bildge is NOT the only electrical thing not working"

Any, told him he is now a REAL boat owner since he launched the boat with out a plug!!!

Trep - need a shower, a beer and a hot tub!!! Day 4 w/out the family 3 of them fishing, got one more fishing trip on the river for Trout tomorrow, and then in the office Thurs/Friday.

Mike - It was TOUGH, I tried to politely explain that if he had THAT much water either A) his plug was out or B) he had a hole in the boat!!!

Oh, I forgot to add, while I was explaining how to trailer/run a boat, I asked him if he knew the Blond and the Bayliner joke? He didn't so I told him!!! LOL

Mike - Yes, I stayed around for about 20 mins but he had only drained about 1/2 the boat, I swear the V-8 was 1/2 underwater!!! Then I gave him his last instructions on how to insert the plug, load/unload the trainer, run the tilt/trim and headed off to catch my whopping crappie!!!

You are a better man than me(Bruce). I would have told him that was normal and once he was out to sea (on plane the water would drain and it will) until he stopped again. I had a run in last Sunday the 24th with a (how do I say butthead) who shows up at 3pm to launch his party barge and is upset because the parking lot is full already. I am still not sure if I was just an unlucky target because he saw my club shirt or if he just missed his medication for the day. He started spouting off about how all bass boats should be banned and what a danger they are to the rest of the boating public. NOW I have only met a few of you here, I try and be polite and mind my own. I would like to think that everybody I have met here would think I am pretty level headed and no chips on my shouder.

But it was hot and I was tired, being a bouncer in a night club for 14 years also helps. I am only 6'1" 165 now (only twice the size of trepman...lol) I ask if the comment was made for me or if I overheard something he did not mean to say in public? He spouted off some more, I told his wife to call 911 because if he dared step off that boat I was going to shove my foot so far his butt I would like my shoe back.

Sorry I vented but I needed to share.

BF

P.S He whimped out.........and only tied up the ramp for 45 min while he launched.

Guess I am lucky so far,never had to wait on anyone longer than 15 minutes.. knock on wood.. If the Bayliner guy decided to see how far he could go, then it could have been bad news for everyone. Good job Trep on the "crash" course of boating.:D

Dude is really lucky he had someone like you around Trep:lol:

Seriously....That idget could have gotten someone drown:angry:

Sounds like he needed a boating course FIRST!

Couple of weeks ago we were coming in from spending the day on the lake when we noticed a boated waving his arms like mad at us. We pulled up to their boat to find out they were out of gas. No problem, so I tow them back to our dock and go up to the house and get a cocuple of 5 gallon cans with gas in them. Come to find out later that they had just purchased the boat that morning and thought that the 1/8 of a tank of gas that the dealer put in the boat would have been enough to cruise all day long. Duh! They were happy with the gas (and paid for it) and went off their merry way. Oh - just to let you know if was a Bayliner!

Talked to Trep last night right after this happened. He was still laughing like crazy!

Forget bass fishing. I'm ready for some walleyes and Northern Pike fishing. Only 3 weeks till we leave! Maybe we should get NTOWS embroidered on our Jar Jar hats!!!!!

Tex

Bruce - Hey earlier this year I FINALY hit 140lbs so i'm now on the "Normal" part of the height/weight chart at the Dr. Office!! Only took 38 years!!! 5'10" and 140lbs! MAN I'm a heavy weight!!!! I've not met any of thost "bass boat haters" but I was a Ski Boat hater last night. I ran up my favorite part of Little River, where earlier this summer i'd been catching fish, and its VERY narrow, and only a 12ft deep channel in between shallow water. 4-5 ski boats were RUNNING up/down that narrow part EVEN after I put out my crappie rigs!

The guy did have his wife and 2 young kids/girls, and its not thier fault the dealer didn't splain it to them or that Dad wasen't bright enough to ask!!

Tee - My thoughts exactly on drowning or just having that boat on the bottom of the lake as a hazard.

Hey did Tex just Admit on the internet he bought a Jar Jar hat!!! :lol:

Trep, good thing you were there to help. A little more water and that V8 would have been in trouble.

"Drain plug? We don't need no stinkin' drain plug!"

Rich - I was concerned that the engine would not start again, and to be honest until I got it on the trailer I had a hard time keeping it running!!!

P.S. Another true Bayliner story: My neighbor has a 1989 Bayliner. 19 footer with the 4 cylinder/135 Merc. Bought it new as his first boat. Classic case of first time buyer not knowing what he was buying. The boat is a working wreck. The hull seems to be sound, the motor works reasonably well, but just about everything else on the boat is falling apart. Rotting wood in the seats, the motor box has been replaced, nothing on the dashboard works, the wiring is a calamity. This is on a boat that gets 30 hours/year, is stored under cover, and is unfailingly serviced spring and fall. It's a miracle it's not in the scrap yard yet. It's straight the era of Bayliner that damaged the brand reputation so badly.

I've witnessed/endured/ and been roped into too many ramp stories to tell. Some so unimagineable, that I still have a hard time beleiving them and I was there! (LOL!) They are a very big reason why I bought a lake home, to avoid such "boating challenged" individuals at the ramp. The problems usually boil down to some "person", for lack of a better public term, having more money than common sense. They can afford to buy a "toy" (lethal, yet a toy), but can't afford the few hours minimum to learn it's basic operation.

Could this explain the escalating amount of boating accidents, injuries, and deaths we are experiencing? :wacko:

Are you kidding? That's a given:lol:

Anytime someone gets more HP than their IQ= TROUBLE!

My best boat ramp story is still the guy and his wife recovering their brand new first time in the water Crestliner. He had the trailer backed down and after he drove the boat on the trailer all she had to do was pull ahead to the parking lot. Only he forgot to latch the winch on a roller trailer. He gave her the go ahead and she floored it. The boat shot backwards off the trailer and onto the concrete ramp until the strap ran out, then it yanked the boat behind the hopped up full sized Chevy Blazer. All the way across the parking lot with the poor guy standing in his boat screaming at his wife to stop. She must have never looked behind her.

fatrap

Latest posts

Back