Trolling motor repair question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Feist

Reaction score
I posted in the Swap & Sell section yesterday looking for a new trolling motor. My seven year old Motorguide "bit the big one" yesterday. I had this motor re-built about three years ago by a Motorguide factory authorized service center and I was less than pleased with the service that I got. A trolling motor is really nothing more than a sealed electric motor correct? Has anyone ever just taken their broken motor to a local electric motor repair shop? Are their "special" seals in the unit that make it submersible or can they handle it with the gaskets that are already in place or maybe add a ton of silicone to make it seal?

In any event, I need my boat in about a week and a half and going "local" would probably be a heck of a lot quicker.

Good question. I wondered that about my swimming pool pump motor. It sets out in the weather and get drenched when ever I clean the pump strainer or re-charge the filter and keeps running without a whimper. I suspect the problem a commercial electric motor repair shop would have repairing a TM would be finding the right parts. Might be worth while to get out the Yellow Pages and make a few calls...couldn't hurt.

Harpo

When the pump for my trim unit zonked out,I found out you can no longer get parts for it.A local alternater shop made custom brushes,and rebuilt the armature for $50.Alot nicer than $1,200 for a whole new trim unit.

If your gaskets are in good shape,I don't see why you couldn't have it done.If you should want the guy's phone number to send it to him,let me know.He can custom make brushes for anything.

Steve

Latest posts

Back