Trolling Motor Pinion Gear/Nut Removal MotorGuide

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Kern

Reaction score
I am trying to repair my trolling motor and need to remove the pinion/nut assembly. I have been told I have to get a special wrench from MotorGuide to remove this.....are you serious $150 for the wrench? Anybody know what this wrench looks like? I cannot find a picture of it anywhere. Maybe I could make something that would work. Anybody had to remove one of these before?

Thanks,

Kevin

bassinboy104

Are you talking about the part that holds the shaft on and the steering rack connects to like the picture below?

If so all you need to remove that is a pair of channel lock pliers and an allen wrench to remove the set screw. Once the set screw is out just grab it around the smooth part with the channel locks and off it will come.

MAF39804.jpg

I couldn't get it off even with pipe wrench. I had e-mailed MotorGuide and they said I needed a special wrench, they give me the part number for the wrench and I looked it up and it cost $150 and it did not show a picture of the wrench. Jim B. your picture is what I am trying to remove and I had taken the set screw out.

I bet its just frozen on there then because its not normally on there all that tight. I have removed quite a few of them over the years and never once had an issue getting it off with channel locks. I have had some frozen ones but i hacve always managed to get them off. I dont see how a "special" wrench is going to help for that part.

I bet its just frozen on there then because its not normally on there all that tight. I have removed quite a few of them over the years and never once had an issue getting it off with channel locks. I have had some frozen ones but i hacve always managed to get them off. I dont see how a "special" wrench is going to help for that part.
Hello, I am having the same problem, should the nut unscrew?

Latest posts

Back