Transom is Toast

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Iz33bel

Reaction score
I just discovered I have a sponge for a transom on a 99 Nitro 882! What used to be a wood core transom is now a puddle of mush between two layers of fiberglass...I discovered this by accident really, when I was connecting my trailer boatbuckles I noticed a fine stream of water running down from each tiedown. I've been extremely proud of this boat since I got her 11 years ago. I've treated her right and she's never let me down, till now... I've been online doing a lot of research and found this website. Sounds like a lot of good folks here! I think I have a plan of attack, just looking for some professional advice to make sure I'm on the right track. SEACAST....?? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated,,, I've already considered the new Z9, just not the right time for my wallet.

That stinks, something must have been not sealed right to do that on only 11 yr old boat. Do all Nitro's have a wood core transom? Good luck with the repair.

Steve

I looked at the site. The stuff looks good. I'll keep this product in mind. I have a Brother in law with a 1977 Wellcraft that I suspect has a transom problem. Good luck with the repair.

fatrap

Steve,

I also have a 99 882. Do you have any cracks in the gel on the transom? I have been wondering how my transom is doing but don't want to break into it to find out. What did you do to figure out it was waterlogged besides the water coming out from the tiedown points?

Thanks for the info,

Eric

This site is awesome!! No cracks or any other indications "mebassn". Just took the tiedowns out and did a little poking with the coat hanger.... I guess I'm pretty lucky I didn't rip the motor off, that would have been a bad day!

Although mine is aluminum and the transom is "still" okay... I have the Seacast on my winter project list... Just much easier to do on an aluminum hull. You should discuss the repair with some professionals... I did and am now comfortable with my plan. Good luck.

Not all Nitro's have wood transom's. Youd be suprised how many companies are still using wood though in transom's. Even with composite transoms you need to check and seal any cracks or holes.

Just had my transom tested at Bass Pro. Wiped my old 90 at the water line and wanted to make sure all was well before installing a new 90HP Mercury.They ponded on it with a rubber mallet and listened to the sounds.Thump is good Slush is bad:D

hope this helps

If you are sure your transom is toast, it can be repaired. If you have it done it can get expensive, but if you are very handy, and have a good helper with some time, it is possible to do it yourself. I did one about 20 yrs ago with a buddy. It was a lot of work, but I got it done.

Latest posts

Back