Trailering With Cover On/off

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warren Gray

Reaction score
Boat-ZV19 Sport with walkthrough windshield and trolling motor. Cover was purchased with the boat. Should I trailer with cover on or off? What are the experiences?

Can't advise on your situation but I always tow with cover off on my Z18 (as well as previous fishing boats).
A key concern, is the cover supported and secured properly for towing. You don't want loose end whipping in the wind.
A quick call to your dealership may find the answer, assuming they're open.
Vic

Can't advise on your situation but I always tow with cover off on my Z18 (as well as previous fishing boats).
A key concern, is the cover supported and secured properly for towing. You don't want loose end whipping in the wind.
A quick call to your dealership may find the answer, assuming they're open.
Vic
Cover fits snug all around. There is no possibility of flapping. My main area of concern is the pressure on the cover in the bow area. The cover is depressed greatly when trailering. I had a Tahoe Q5 previously that I trailered with cover on and it was ok. I think the higher windshield on the nitro creates more of an issue.

Does anyone use windshield protectors (such as flakjackets) while trailering with no cover?

While I typically trailer without, unless inclement weather, I did ask the dealer for recommendations. Suppose no surprise, but long distance trailering with a cover does promote accelerated wear and tear.

It depends on the cover you have - fully custom, semi-custom, or generic. I trailer two different boats I own. I never travel with the strap-down cover on my 2004 Nitro 882 bass boat. While the semi-custom cover manufacture indicates it is ok for travel, I feel there are too many straps and chance for wind under the cover to cause excessive flap with damage or worse to the cover. My 24 foot open bow deck boat has a fully custom snap on cover with no straps and I have made trips of over 500 miles with no issues. I would have far more travel confidence in a fully custom cover over any semi or generic strap down cover. There is a reason why custom covers cost so much more.

I travel with the cover on but I do use a beach towel of two to wrap around my trolling motor and other hard areas that could, over time, rip through the cover. I also buy new straps every 12 to 18 months to head off problems! I do have a cover that was custom and fits like a, custom cover! I hope this helps.

I agree with the other comments that you shouldn't travel with the cover on unless it is a custom cover made for it to be on the boat while trailered. I found that unless you put a towel over the trolling motor, etc. the wind will "buff" the paint right off. Humorous story - I took my boat to the lake one time with the cover on and when I pulled the cover off there was a cat sleeping on the seat!

Look on the underside of your cover and on the directions tag, it clearly states that ‘paint loss’ can occur if you travel with the cover on!
Why would you want to put your cover under the stress of traveling with it on anyway?

The only time I travel with it on Is when it rains, especially when there is a lot of water spraying up from the road.
I also used it when I show up to hotels or campgrounds, crooks look for easy access.

I fish stick marsh some and you can not go down that road without a cover!! I do not go over 60mph for sure. I really like this site. I have a Z-7 2015 and try to take care of it because, as my wife says, I't my best friend!

Latest posts

Back