Trailer Lights

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy McFall

Reaction score
I have a 2004 PT175 and a 2004 Trailstar trailer. I am constantly having taillight problems. It seems like about every other time I decide to go fishing I have to work on the taillights. It will either be a blown bulb or the bulb as worked loose. I would like to replace them with LED lights. Is it possible to replace them with LED lights and still use the original wiring. The only reason that I haven't already replaced them was because of the difficulty in running new wires. If I can use the original wires that are on the trailer now it will make things much easier. What do you thing?

Thanks

YES...Absolutely!!

The LED lights are can be installed in about 5 minutes per light using your existing wires. Like yourself, I had nothing but problems with my lights. I replaced my lights with LED's May 05' and NEVER had a problem since.

Do it!!

Isn't 5 minutes per light a little bit optimistic? They can certainly be swapped out, but the appropriate time must be alotted to make sure your splices are water proof.

Now, what I recommend you do is find out why these lights "keep blowing" as most likely, the electrons that are doing that will damage your LEDs.

You can stop bulbs from working loose by pinching the socket a little bit to create a tighter fit. However, if they are sealed bubbles [which I suspect a 2004 would be], then my recommendation is to stop buying bubbles with loose bulbs.

As to bulbs blowing, you are not the guy who always buys the weak bulbs, you have another problem of some kind.

As to LEDs burning brightly since May 2005, I have one seaded bubble burning since 2001 and the other since 2005.

I had problems with my 04 TrailStart trailer from the start.Always burning out bulbs,or they would be broke,and the whole assembly would vibrate apart on the road.I purchased several from T;)racker,always with the same results.Bought a set from Walmart early last year and have had no blown bulbs,nor has anything vibrated and fell off on the road,seems to be more water tight,can back into the water without unplugging.;)

I put LED's on my 06 TV-18 this year. They work great. I did have problems last year and with my old Nitro with the bulbs burning out etc.... I have not had a problem this entire year. I am not an electrician but I replaced the bulbs with the existing wiring and from some great suggestions from this forum I made sure to use liquid electircal tape. Cheap sealer I bought from Lowe's.

The lights are also, IMO, much brighter than regular bulbs and seem to spice up the night travel as many in my club have commented on them and are planning on putting them on their trailers this year.

Are they perfect and fool proof, no, but for a novice like me, well worth it.

Randy!

I had put LED's on my trailer that I purchased at BPS a few years ago and have been trouble free every since. No doubt...do it!

I spliced/soldered the wires together/wrapped them in a little electrical tape and sealed it with silicone.

I did have to drill 1 hole on each side of the trailer so the LED would fit properly on my trailer.

ledhigh.jpg

http://www.zjstech.net/~library/878/ledhigh.jpg

Latest posts

Back