Trailer lights problem

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

al cannia

Reaction score
Going to tourney early saturday a.m. trailer lights went out as I went over some railroad tracks on the highway.I got them to flicker once but they would not stay on.I had brake and turn signals.Checked all fuses,all is ok,wired in new male/female plugs for the trailer,still only have brake and turn lights.Is it possible that the ground on my truck is bad?If the ground was bad would I still have brake/turn lights?Also no clearance lights working,have never had a problem with this before except for a bulb once in a while.

Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2001,worked on it for another hour,the new plugs I wired in are ok ,frustrating trying to find the problem.

If it's not at the truck it sounds like a broken wire in the trailer that runs the marker and tail lights. This would not effect brake and turn lights. Also if you have a swing away tounge on the trailer check for a bad ground there?

Good Luck

BF

Look for a pinched wire at that swing-away tongue as well.

Are the turn and brake lights dimmer than normal? and do the clearance lights blink dimly when u use the turn signals? If not then it is not a ground issue...it will be a loose/broken wire on the clearance/marker lights. Also check and see if that ford has a seperate set of fuses for the trailer (my F-350 has seperate fuse box under the hood for the trailer)

RW

Mine did the same thing two weeks ago and it was the fuse to the panel guages in the truck, the yellow 25 amp. I had to drive for 1.5 hours with my flashers on until the sun came up:D

Thanks for the help/ideas everyone. We think it is a broken wire on the trailer wiring.Bud says if it were the ground,none of the lights would work,but since I have brake and turn signals he thinks it is a wire where the tounge swings away.Also will recheck the fuses,what a pain in the arse eh.Had plans to go out early before work and after til dark,taped some flashlights with red lenses on the back for tail lights,hehe,worked ok til we get it fixed.

check your connections on the 2 splices at the wheel wells
3Mscotch.gif

Those scotch locks should be banned from any important connection like LIGHTS.. I know they are fast and easy to use but the don't hold up if exposed to the weather.

BF

Latest posts

Back